Author Topic: River SUP  (Read 17020 times)

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: River SUP
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2014, 03:34:03 AM »
I paddle in these types of places just for the solitude.  I love them when conditions are right.

If the water is low I pack water (duh), a PFD, a leash, a good knife and my cell phone. Always let people know where you're going. If you can do a drive/hike of the area check for points where you can leave the river if you have to and note them. Makes it easier if you need to bail and have some idea of where you can exit and be picked up. If the water is higher I'll wear a helmet. For longer trips I carry a drybag containing a hoodie and food. For footwear, wear some solid shoes. I roll in Teva Gnars, reasonably priced and they feel good. Often rivers will have sketchy bottoms with limbs, large rocks, and other debris. You don't want to step on some of this stuff and get a gash. I've been in some out of the way places, you'd be shocked what is down there (was at a place yesterday and there was a 6' tractor tire in the middle!).

If you don't want to paddle solo, see if any of the canoe paddlers would let you tag along with them. That way you're not running solo.

Have fun, I love paddling on rivers and creeks. So much cool stuff to see out there.

We have the actual tractors rusting away in our rivers. DEFINITELY want to wear shoes here.

Very good suggestions here.  Paddling on rivers requires experience that is very different from lakes or the ocean.  The dangers and safety procedures are not as intuitive as people would think.  A leash on a river is more of a hazard than a board recovery device.  You will never see a rafter guide, kayaker or canoe paddler wearing a leash because of the hazard.  Far more people die on rivers that are class I/II each year than die on class V sections.  They get in trouble because they are completely unaware of the hazards, water level or just plain dumb behavior.

Take time to learn board control in safe situations like lakes or on short accessible sections of a river.  Learn how to ferry, eddy out and avoid objects that are above or below the surface.  I've found paddling up river is a great way to learn all the clean lines and where all the submerged hazards are located.  If your fins hits an object paddling up current, you don't fly over the front of the board the same as when you are paddling downstream.  If the river you are paddling has slower current, I suggest going to your takeout location, paddle upriver as far as you like then paddle back to where you putin.  This will give you a safer way to learn a section of river than just putting on and paddling downstream.

I totally disagree with no leash! Talk to some of the the river greats (Addison, Gavere, Tavares, etc) and they will say the exact same. A quick release waist leash is your safest option, its safer being on board then in river. Taking a swim though even class III rapids can be painful and if there is multiple rapids in a row, you want to get back on board fast. Most river fatalities on white water are because of foot entrapment, and with SUP, you are in river more then kayaking or rafting. Not being able to get back onto board fast leads to longer swims, lost gear and potential for an accident, on top of a bashed up body. With a quick release waist leash, its super easy to pull plastic ball and detach, plus if you get hung up it pulls from waist and not ankle. Being stuck around a bridge pier or tree and having to detach at ankle while force of river is pulling you, is almost impossible in rushing water. Also a river knife attached to PFD is a back up plan along with attaching leash to board using Velcro. Depending on how you attach it will pull apart with force.

Not sure what rivers you are paddling on that you can go up stream a ways. Here in colorado the most you can you "up stream" is in an eddy and even the big ones are only 50 yards at the most. Yes slow calm rivers may be able to go a ways up stream, but that is basically a slow moving lake/res. An eddy will not gauge how an entire river works, and the best way to learn is on calm slower moving sections with minor rapids (portaging if needed), then as you get better and more comfortable on board pushing yourself. I agree people panic because they are way over their head in the moving water and rivers dynamic are crazy. Rivers need to be learned, studied, and RESPECTED! Water does not move the way you want it, you have to learn how to move with it.

MtnSUPSKI,

My comments related to the OP's question for the river he was asking about.  I do not give advice to expert paddlers paddling on Western style whitewater rivers.  You may want to check the data related to foot entrapment being the cause of most river deaths.  I'll stand my my opinion that a leash is a significant hazard on rivers unless the paddler is extremely knowledgable about whitewater and confident in their ability to manage the risk. 

Best of Luck with your paddling.  P

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2014, 04:22:25 AM »
I'll stand my my opinion that a leash is a significant hazard on rivers unless the paddler is extremely knowledgable about whitewater and confident in their ability to manage the risk.

I use a leash in some WW. Some rivers, not using a leash will endanger other water users.

If you do use a leash you MUST have a rescue knife and be able to open it with one hand, whilst in a contorted position whilst being sucked down or pinned.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 09:09:53 AM »
I paddle in these types of places just for the solitude.  I love them when conditions are right.

If the water is low I pack water (duh), a PFD, a leash, a good knife and my cell phone. Always let people know where you're going. If you can do a drive/hike of the area check for points where you can leave the river if you have to and note them. Makes it easier if you need to bail and have some idea of where you can exit and be picked up. If the water is higher I'll wear a helmet. For longer trips I carry a drybag containing a hoodie and food. For footwear, wear some solid shoes. I roll in Teva Gnars, reasonably priced and they feel good. Often rivers will have sketchy bottoms with limbs, large rocks, and other debris. You don't want to step on some of this stuff and get a gash. I've been in some out of the way places, you'd be shocked what is down there (was at a place yesterday and there was a 6' tractor tire in the middle!).

If you don't want to paddle solo, see if any of the canoe paddlers would let you tag along with them. That way you're not running solo.

Have fun, I love paddling on rivers and creeks. So much cool stuff to see out there.

We have the actual tractors rusting away in our rivers. DEFINITELY want to wear shoes here.

Very good suggestions here.  Paddling on rivers requires experience that is very different from lakes or the ocean.  The dangers and safety procedures are not as intuitive as people would think.  A leash on a river is more of a hazard than a board recovery device.  You will never see a rafter guide, kayaker or canoe paddler wearing a leash because of the hazard.  Far more people die on rivers that are class I/II each year than die on class V sections.  They get in trouble because they are completely unaware of the hazards, water level or just plain dumb behavior.

Take time to learn board control in safe situations like lakes or on short accessible sections of a river.  Learn how to ferry, eddy out and avoid objects that are above or below the surface.  I've found paddling up river is a great way to learn all the clean lines and where all the submerged hazards are located.  If your fins hits an object paddling up current, you don't fly over the front of the board the same as when you are paddling downstream.  If the river you are paddling has slower current, I suggest going to your takeout location, paddle upriver as far as you like then paddle back to where you putin.  This will give you a safer way to learn a section of river than just putting on and paddling downstream.

I totally disagree with no leash! Talk to some of the the river greats (Addison, Gavere, Tavares, etc) and they will say the exact same. A quick release waist leash is your safest option, its safer being on board then in river. Taking a swim though even class III rapids can be painful and if there is multiple rapids in a row, you want to get back on board fast. Most river fatalities on white water are because of foot entrapment, and with SUP, you are in river more then kayaking or rafting. Not being able to get back onto board fast leads to longer swims, lost gear and potential for an accident, on top of a bashed up body. With a quick release waist leash, its super easy to pull plastic ball and detach, plus if you get hung up it pulls from waist and not ankle. Being stuck around a bridge pier or tree and having to detach at ankle while force of river is pulling you, is almost impossible in rushing water. Also a river knife attached to PFD is a back up plan along with attaching leash to board using Velcro. Depending on how you attach it will pull apart with force.

Not sure what rivers you are paddling on that you can go up stream a ways. Here in colorado the most you can you "up stream" is in an eddy and even the big ones are only 50 yards at the most. Yes slow calm rivers may be able to go a ways up stream, but that is basically a slow moving lake/res. An eddy will not gauge how an entire river works, and the best way to learn is on calm slower moving sections with minor rapids (portaging if needed), then as you get better and more comfortable on board pushing yourself. I agree people panic because they are way over their head in the moving water and rivers dynamic are crazy. Rivers need to be learned, studied, and RESPECTED! Water does not move the way you want it, you have to learn how to move with it.

MtnSUPSKI,

My comments related to the OP's question for the river he was asking about.  I do not give advice to expert paddlers paddling on Western style whitewater rivers.  You may want to check the data related to foot entrapment being the cause of most river deaths.  I'll stand my my opinion that a leash is a significant hazard on rivers unless the paddler is extremely knowledgable about whitewater and confident in their ability to manage the risk. 

Best of Luck with your paddling.  P

I did not mean to come off harshly, but I believe the proper techniques and guidance should be taught to all across the board. The type of rivers you are running should be studied and taken into consideration as well as proper equipment used. I would never tell someone to not use a leash! That is my opinion and I have come to that opinion because of knowledge and from others around me who are passionate about the sport, like I assume you are, cause SUP is amazing, rewarding, and a thrill!

My opinion stands even for calmer rivers. Water is a powerful force and being on your board at all times, and being able to get onto said board is key. I have gotten tossed off of my board in a lake and with just a little bit of wind, my board was 20'+ away in a matter of seconds, causing an undesirable swim in cold water. With a leash I would not have had to deal with that swim. Now go to even a slower moving body of water (river, ocean, etc.) and that is now twice the distance. The originial posters river may move at a gentle pace, but when he falls off, pushes the board away and is now swimming, I see that has a hazard for him. Having a quick release belt/leash would have him back on the board in a few seconds at most, and ready for the next strainer, rapid, wave train, tree, rock, pier, other paddler, etc.

All the info that I could find points to people being in the water is the largest reason for whitewater deaths and the results of death where from drowning, which is kinda a no brainier. Not wearing PDF, water temps, and experience where common factors that may have resulted in death. This is from a report done in 2006 on American Whitewater:
"The major causes of recreational whitewater kayaking deaths from 1995-1998 were strainers, sieves (a special type of strainer where a congregation of boulders allows water to pass through but larger objects such as people and boats cannot pass), and being caught and held in large hydraulics. Getting into these dangerous situations may have been the result of inexperience or poor judgment, but the data only absolutely confirms a few instances where this was the case."
So agree with you that experience is key for any and all types of water activities, but a paddle boarder on a river is swimming more often then a kayaker and a rafter. A kayaker that is trained can roll and getting back onto raft is number one concern when capsizing. This leads me to believe (totally my opinion), that if a paddle boarder swims more often then a rafter or a kayaker, death from entrapment will be a greater risk and being on board is safer then in water. Wearing a quick release waist belt gets your back on board faster, and reduces the risk of entrapment.

Here is article I took above caption from: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Article/view/articleid/1615/display/full/

There is no conclusive study done that says entrapment leads to death, but from that article it points to entrapment of all kinds causes deaths on whitewater. I should not have generalized and said "foot entrapment". If you have anymore info on whitewater deaths, I would love to get all the facts.

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »
Wise words.  As an experienced sea and whitewater kayaker, and a surf skier, and also a paddle boarder, I rarely take a board out in any conditions without wearing a leash.  A surf ski or paddle board can drift or blow away faster than you can swim after it, in what you might think are pretty calm conditions.  As for rivers, what are you going to do if you fall off your board, and it goes down the river without you?  Sometimes you can walk out, sometimes not.  And anyone who has taken a swim through a rapid knows you'd be a lot safer on your board, or at least holding on to it as flotation, on your watery way through the rapids.  That said, a quick release PDF is a must on a river.  You fall, and your leash gets caught on  a snag, that's a career ender if you can't release it.  River knife?  My PFD has one permanently attached.  river knives are made to cut cord.  Leash is cord.  Can 't imagine drowning all wrapped up in a leash.

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 08:18:18 AM »
Do not want to sound like a jerk or come off as mean to poster above, just way of river.  :P

Gear:
Strutter Sweet Helmet-I have hard bill, on helmets in surf is a no-no is what I have been told, but its common for rivers and blocks sun off my irish face. Helmet is no brainier. Standing that high up and catching a fin (go fin-less, short fins, or flip-up skeg like on my board)
PFD-Astral YTV- (Not rescue, but one is on order for Swift Water Rescue course in Sept.) Low profile, no bells and whistles, and hardly noticed. I wear my lower and the YTV allows for lots of arm movement to paddle and to swim.
Gerber Knife-River Shorty has been a standard for MANY years and is never not out of reach. Some WW kayakers put a flip out blade knife in pocket,    but if I need to use knife, I want it easy to get to and fast. Knife in pocket takes too long to retrieve, but could have one for backup if knife falls out.
Badfish Re'leash- Quick release leash with unique brass piece that can be attached anywhere on a standard Type III pdf and this allows you to not have to use waist-belt w/ring on a rescue vest (Type V). I have 6' non-coiled but want to put a coiled longer leash on due to it being a foot to short for board.
Long sleeve loose rash guard with 50 spf and board shorts for warmer weather-Long sleeve to keep sun off and to kinda protect skin.
3/2 mm full NRS Radient wetsuit for water/air temps below 100 degrees total (not shown).
G-Form Knee Pads- They breath great, lightweight, and special foam gets harder depending on force of impact. Becoming a standard for river running and many other sports. Will be buying (new this season) combo shin/knee pads. When you swim you want them for our rocky rivers. Remember to get feet out in front when you do swim.
Teva Gnarkosi Water shoes for foot protection a MUST! Rocks in any river can do damage, and if you have old ranches/farms along river, they use to dump trash, vehicles, and equipment into them. Teva has a thicker sole so next ones may be Astral Brewers to get better feel on board (thinner sole), but teva's are great shoes to walk around town or go on hikes in, plus bonus they drain.
Werner Stinger Stinger was designed for river by one of, if not the best kayak paddle maker. Blade is reverse tear drop shape so you can put "Just the tip"  ;D, in water or engage entire blade when needed. Smaller tip is perfect to negotiate around rocks w/o getting blade between rocks. Blade is almost ALWAY in water when in river rapids/waves because you need to use it to brace so you do not take drink. Plus rivers have currents coming at you in all directions, so paddle in water allows you to control board, eddy, and surf. 
Board-I am sure by the picture you can tell what brand it is, so I will leave it at that. Plastic roto-molded (like WW kayak) is best bang for your buck on river. Priced around $800-$900 (much cheaper then higher-end iSUPs), can take a beating for years on end(look at an old kayak), 36" wide x 9'-2" long (short and wide for rivers. Easier to move board around, eddy, ferry, and width for stability), lowered standing area (iSUPs have you high on board thus higher center of gravity), 10" thick nose (designed like a Creek Boat (kayak) to be able to blast through waves), flip-up skeg (when you hit something it just flips up, also has a fin-box for traditional fins), go-pro attachment (for the movie selfie of yourself cascading down river), 2 hard handles (tip/tail), three rubber coated soft handles (sides and middle, so climbing back on is easier), Boof Buddy(for taking drops (boofing) you can hook foot under and lift, soft foam and has does not entrap foot, but leash can wrap), and dry storage compartment. Only CON is its heavier then iSUP, my old river iSUP was 29 lbs, and my plastic board is 43 lbs. That makes it a b*tch to portage and carry to/from river.

Picture of me at river put-in last week with gear needed for class II/III rivers:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:42:32 AM by MtnSUPSKI »

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 03:47:54 PM »
Read your post.  It never occurred to me that you were a jerk, but you are the one that brought it up!  Just kidding.  The only issue I was addressing was leash, and the items needed to be safe while using one, ie quick release PFD and river knife.  You left out SPOT Tracker and marine radio, too.  Bwaaa haaa haaaa.....

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 07:23:41 AM »
You left out SPOT Tracker and marine radio, too.

I use a PLB... :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 08:23:53 AM »
Read your post.  It never occurred to me that you were a jerk, but you are the one that brought it up!  Just kidding.  The only issue I was addressing was leash, and the items needed to be safe while using one, ie quick release PFD and river knife.  You left out SPOT Tracker and marine radio, too.  Bwaaa haaa haaaa.....

Shoot sorry, I meant to the poster A few before me talking about leash. My bad! I am a huge jerk too by the way. haha

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM