Author Topic: How to remove the handle from a Kialoa sup paddle? Heat gun or boiling water?  (Read 8867 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I got a killer deal on a slightly used but in perfect condition Kialoa paddle and need to cut it down. I'm hoping I can re-use the handle but assume it was epoxied on. I've read a couple things saying I can put a heat gun to it or put it into boiling water. What would you do? Heat gun or boiling water? Will the heat gun or boiling water hurt the integrity of the surrounding epoxy and make it weaker?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Which Kialoa is it? It matters.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I've cut down 4 Kialoa Methanes and Pipes paddles. Every time, I've just ordered a new handle from Kialoa for 20 bucks. You have to be careful how short you cut the shaft. The Kialoa goes from round at the grip to oval lower down the shaft. If you cut it down as low as the oval part (like me) you have to carefully enlarge the hole on the new handle. I used a small dremel tool and it was very easy. Almost too easy to take too much off. Just sand a small area and check often for a snug fit. It only took a few minutes.

After that, I just hot glued the handle on in case I want to go shorter later.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
SW, I got way into the oval on my ShakaPu at 72".  So Magenta, if your going short and need to ovalize the grip anyhow,  skip the heat; just cut the shaft and hog out the handle like SW suggested. If your not into the oval, and you go theheat route, a heat gun will give you more control.  (If regular epoxy was used its not coming apart but you'll know that after just a couple minutes.)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I found that boiling water works best.

You don't need to cut the whole end off like in my pics.. if you have a low stove or a tall ceiling..  ;D

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:50:06 PM by DavidJohn »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Hey DJ, would it help to use a non-stick pan?  ;D

Wazza66

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have cut my Kialoa paddles down many times by heating it up slowly with the wife's hairdryer on hot and then cracking the glue join by twisting the blade and handle in opposite directions.
Has worked every time so far.

Sand the shaft a little then epoxy the handle back on.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Bean, you're poaching on PDX's territory.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I took a rubber mallet to it. A few taps on each side of the handle and it popped right off. Turn the paddle upside down and angle the handle on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Hey DJ, would it help to use a non-stick pan?  ;D

Nice one.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Bean, you're poaching on PDX's territory.
Actually DJ was already poaching.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Thanks for mentioning that the shaft goes from round to oval cuz I didn't notice that before.

But even if I have to ovalize the handle I'm still going to need to remove the handle from the shaft. Are you saying that there is no way to remove the handle if it was epoxied?

SW, I got way into the oval on my ShakaPu at 72".  So Magenta, if your going short and need to ovalize the grip anyhow,  skip the heat; just cut the shaft and hog out the handle like SW suggested. If your not into the oval, and you go theheat route, a heat gun will give you more control.  (If regular epoxy was used its not coming apart but you'll know that after just a couple minutes.)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I don't know what model it is because it doesn't say on it. The only way I knew it was a Kialoa was because of a little tiny "Kialoa Paddles" sticker with an america flag thats on the top of the blade. It for sure has the round to oval shaft though and I'm pretty sure I'll be cutting it into the oval part.

Which Kialoa is it? It matters.

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I have cut my Kialoa paddles down many times by heating it up slowly with the wife's hairdryer on hot and then cracking the glue join by twisting the blade and handle in opposite directions.
Has worked every time so far.

I do not advise to do this. YOU DO NOT WANT TO TWIST when pulling the handle out. If you overheat the shaft/handle and twist it has the possibility to ruin the shaft in that area and force you to cut off more shaft. I speak from experience. It will turn whiteish and split.

Heated correctly you should be able to pull it out without any major twisting. Having someone to help pull in the opposite direction is helpful. Good luck!
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

chicagoflasup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
For me in the past I have heat it with hair dryer but be careful!! I had the shaft split open like iron gate decoration When I had friend help me twist It off .... so what I do now is go slow with the heat mark a line on the shaft and the handle so u can see when u re really starting to twist it loose then soon as u see little bit movement  from handle to shaft then twist the other way but only like a 1/16 or 1/8 of a turn and then easy on the heat and work is slow.. after u have it off use hot glue its a lot easyer to get off later
-------WHAT WOULD LAIRD DO?------

excote 8'11'' fish
allwave 9'1''
naish mana 10'
custom biscuit 6' (prone)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal