Author Topic: Biggest wave you have personally SUS'd?  (Read 24437 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest wave you have personally SUS'd?
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »
DOH regular surfing Dumptrucks/Killing Floor/Tunnels on Kauai.

Triple overhead windsurfing Kaua on Maui.

Sup surfing? Probably only a foot or two overhead since I started two years ago. Why not bigger? Mainly because I'm still figuring this out and also because the two 8' Simsups I've owned feel sketchy in overhead stuff. I need two sups - a short radical sup for small waves and a longer more gunny board for overhead.

PonoBill - Speaking of Kanaha...  Kuau was my usual windsurf spot in the winter when I lived on Maui, but one of the most memorable sessions I have ever had was scoring Kanaha just a few days before Christmas with NO CROWDS and perfect DOH freight train rights that peeled off flawlessly for a third of a mile with light side-offs on my 4.5 with smooth faces. Oh man, it was friggin awesome! Yeah sure Kanaha is forgiving --- as long as you don't get stuck inside during a big cleanup set!  :P

I like head high to DOH at Kanaha, smaller other places. Kanaha is very user-friendly and forgiving and big waves there are just plain fun.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »
Yup, we used to windsurf San Carlos in the spring and summer back in the early 90's and I do remember the rights all the way to the fish camp!

Last winter in San Carlos on a big, clean, DOH or so west swell. Mid tide Chili Bowl, racing the high line of big green walls on my beloved 8'5 Gerry Lopez "Sweetie Pie". Surfing it alone like I normally do in the last 14 winters I've stayed there. Long rides - those that have been there on a good day know how long that wave holds up. One of the best surfing days of my life - had to have a couple Baja Fogs after that session.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2014, 09:11:42 PM »
Over head wave at Puaena Point. Outer reef, 10-15 mph off shore with 10'6" Hoe Nalu Sup.

Out here at So-Cal, I really don't wanna bring my SUP out anywhere if the waves are bigger than 2-3ft.

Zooport's picture reminds of my first time surfing at Chocolate. It was my 3rd day on SUP and Chocolate was breaking actually, so I had good learning experience with 2 other kid that looks like middle school kid and their dad. Four of us just keep taking turns and riding it. Biggest wave that day was maybe knee high at best but it was one of the best session ever.

Chocolate is the spot right behind Surf N Sea, inside the harbor area, and that thing only breaks when it is really big and heavy outside.

Hodad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »
Chest high at the most.  When it goes off I grab the prone boards.
Nobody listens to Turtle.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2014, 10:24:46 PM »
DOH regular surfing Dumptrucks/Killing Floor/Tunnels on Kauai.

Triple overhead windsurfing Kaua on Maui.

Sup surfing? Probably only a foot or two overhead since I started two years ago. Why not bigger? Mainly because I'm still figuring this out and also because the two 8' Simsups I've owned feel sketchy in overhead stuff. I need two sups - a short radical sup for small waves and a longer more gunny board for overhead.

PonoBill - Speaking of Kanaha...  Kuau was my usual windsurf spot in the winter when I lived on Maui, but one of the most memorable sessions I have ever had was scoring Kanaha just a few days before Christmas with NO CROWDS and perfect DOH freight train rights that peeled off flawlessly for a third of a mile with light side-offs on my 4.5 with smooth faces. Oh man, it was friggin awesome! Yeah sure Kanaha is forgiving --- as long as you don't get stuck inside during a big cleanup set!  :P

The ocean floor at Kuau is paved with my windsurf fins. I never could get the channel right. My favorite spot other than Euro.

Kanaha can beat the bejessus out of you, but it lets you up. Getting beaten up at Tavares seems like it lasts forever. Speaking of beatdowns though, the hold downs at Gravels at Salt Creek were ridiculous. I started to get hungry down there.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2014, 11:11:24 AM »
Winter has started, thanks for the shots Beasho!! 

Wish I had pictures to prove it, but like most I don't.  Here's a shot anyway from my biggest day this winter.
~15' faces is the limit of the beating I can take, I think.  Not an exact science.  If I'm lucky about 3-5 sessions a
season at this size.

Be prepared and confident.  During a beating and hold down be calm.  Open your eyes. If it's black you are deep and
if you can't start climbing your leash just let your self float up till it gets light.  Get the best flotation you can afford.
Be cautious of the first wave in a set. It won't have the clean face of later waves and if you wipeout your pounding
will be longer.
You have to really want it.

Clemdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2014, 12:40:28 PM »
Holy smokes!  Awesome photos and monster waves for you guys! My skills/balls are not there yet, but I have a blast in waves that are just about overhead.  Wife caught some video of me a few months back, the second to last wave was probably my biggest.  This vid might bore most of you, but the music is fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMyWV0Utf-s

Clem  :D
Clem
San Diego
Naish 8'8 X32
Starboard 8'10 Wide Point
Starboard 9'5 Wide Point

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2014, 02:02:38 PM »
Speaking of beatdowns though, the hold downs at Gravels at Salt Creek were ridiculous. I started to get hungry down there.
That Weekend I got bruised around my ankle from my leash;
from beatings I got on the Point..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
Neah, that surfing is not lame or boring, good job...and the waves looked pretty fun to me.  That sounds like Dick Dale on the guitar.

Holy smokes!  Awesome photos and monster waves for you guys! My skills/balls are not there yet, but I have a blast in waves that are just about overhead.  Wife caught some video of me a few months back, the second to last wave was probably my biggest.  This vid might bore most of you, but the music is fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMyWV0Utf-s

Clem  :D
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2014, 06:12:05 AM »
Head high, maybe occasionally a bit taller. Get that a few times a year including yesterday. Yesterday's bonus was no one was out, just me and my friend on a surf ski.
Bunch of old shit

Clemdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2014, 01:52:44 PM »
Zooport, that tune is called "Big surf at Black Point" by the Urban Surf Kings.
Clem
San Diego
Naish 8'8 X32
Starboard 8'10 Wide Point
Starboard 9'5 Wide Point

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal