Author Topic: Biggest wave you have personally SUS'd?  (Read 24398 times)

supthecreek

Re: Biggest wave you have personally SUS'd?
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2014, 03:35:16 AM »
Well said CS.... channels, water depth and water temp are modifying factors.

Big peaks with makable shoulders are far easier to surf than dredging walls of shallow water beachies.

surfKnobby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2014, 10:58:33 AM »
Last winter in San Carlos on a big, clean, DOH or so west swell. Mid tide Chili Bowl, racing the high line of big green walls on my beloved 8'5 Gerry Lopez "Sweetie Pie". Surfing it alone like I normally do in the last 14 winters I've stayed there. Long rides - those that have been there on a good day know how long that wave holds up. One of the best surfing days of my life - had to have a couple Baja Fogs after that session.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2014, 10:13:02 AM »
I've scored a handful of epic days with size similar to first three pics...mid-week swells...the best...;-)
Though not as sizable...I had someone along that knew how to use a *real* camera on next two pics...
Biggest ever though was between days at two different outer reef breaks...I would want a rescue ski if I did it again...and, a vest...the hold downs and rag dolls were no fun...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »
I've scored a handful of epic days with size similar to first three pics...mid-week swells...the best...;-)
Though not as sizable...I had someone along that knew how to use a *real* camera on next two pics...
Biggest ever though was between days at two different outer reef breaks...I would want a rescue ski if I did it again...and, a vest...the hold downs and rag dolls were no fun...

Very impressive.  I think I remember that you are in SB.  Is this Jalama by any chance? 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »

Very impressive.  I think I remember that you are in SB.  Is this Jalama by any chance?

Not the "J"...Jalama gets ragged and dishes out some brutal punishment at size...normally wind from one direction or the other adds special consequences for getting hung up on drops...it can be brutally consistent on a *real* swell...45 minute paddle outs...I've had the worst hold downs and rag dolls/tomb stones of my life out there...in surfing and windsurfing...seeing stars...blood out of the ears...etc...long way from help...seems people die there almost every year...

A number of big wave surfers have cut their teeth at the "J"...I used to surf out there with Chris Brown and Steve Dwyer...Mav's chargers...and, Erik Akiskalian  TowSurfer.com and 2011 Billabong XXL Big Wave nominee...not to mention world champion windsurfers Kevin and Matt Pritchard...and, a whole host of underground hellmen...Bennett Williams...etc...now there are a couple of strapless kitesurfers there considered among the best in the world...

We have a guy here on our staff that charges out there on one of our 8'4" carbon WD's...when he's not IC (Incident Commander) putting out fires...

There are a couple of spots around the 805 that require a rescue team and ski to survive a paddlesurf mission with a real Gulf of Alaska swell macking swell...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:22:30 AM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 02:21:54 PM »
Sometimes I go at it alone.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »
But it's more fun with friends

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2014, 02:53:18 PM »
In my grom-dom, about 6 foot or maybe slightly overhead so far. A rogue wave on an otherwise small day earlier this year.  I suddenly saw this wall a little over my head and thought #groan# here comes a thrashing, but I stayed up and rode it. Never tilted that far down on a wave before and I was able to keep up with the speed.  Everything else that day were small and mushers, where this one came from, a little east from the main Sharks break, I don't know.

Sheesh, I know it's trivial, maybe it was a two footer by Hawaiian standards, but it was big for me. Haven't done one since above 4 or 5.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »
Pretty sweet Beasho...charging for sure!
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:07:51 PM by standuped »
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2014, 04:56:46 PM »
Triple overhead yesterday at Pleasure Point.
 ;D
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »
Hold downs were intense.  Barely survived that day.

8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2014, 06:48:43 PM »
Scanned this whole thread and it's obvious that you really can't claim any size unless you have the pic.  Plus here on Maui I'd feel funny to start thinking about how big a wave I've SUSed when Conner, Zane and Kai are charging Peahi.

Biggest in this thread have been Beasho and SUPsport and Beasho's wave looks bigger than anything I've been on with a SUB.  Great pics.  I also really liked Newton333's last pic (i think PR). Hard driving bottom turn you always dream about doing.  Plus that wave looked SUS friendly.

I'd count clean and length over size.  With length you can get a rhythm going and do stuff you wouldn't get to on a shorter wave.  At my age the hold downs on bigger waves take the starch out of me for a session.

And of course Zooport takes the cake.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:32:00 PM by headmount »

supthecreek

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »
Beasho... nice to see a post from you... great stuff as usual...

Next year, when you are in the New England area, please give me a shout... I suck at fishing... but I'm real good at eating it ;)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2014, 07:02:42 PM »
Another thing about big waves.  You can get hurt.  Just yesterday a guy I know broke his 12th vertebrae at Hookipa prone surfing.  Wasn't super big. OH maybe DOH on biggest sets.  But he got injured and couldn't move his legs initially.

Lucky thing here, some of the best surfers out there are also firefighters and lifeguards, and they pulled off the rescue.  Pretty cool.  Paralysis is gone now and he's at home but a very scary thing.  You think about all the times you've hit the bottom or your board has whack you and wonder just how close was the hit to my spine?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal