Author Topic: Selection?  (Read 4487 times)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Selection?
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:06:30 AM »
Just wondering how many different boards your local SUP shop has in stock? 

Disclaimer
I own The Easy Rider in Edmonton, AB, Canada - and am just wondering how we "stack up" in the world of SUP stores. 

Thanks
Warren
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Selection?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:00:33 PM »
Hi Easy Rider,

I don't know about numbers, but I can say that here on the NH seacoast the local shops stock mostly surf and recreational/cruising style boards 12'6" and under. I've been looking for 14" boards and couldn't find a Naish dealer within 100 miles that plans to stock the new Glide (though they're all happy to special order one if I put down a deposit). Only 1 Fanatic dealer within an hour or so drive will be getting in 14' Falcons. Zoner Raf's Soposup (an hour away in Portland, ME) is the closest shop I've found with a decent selection of 14' boards at all. Even craigslist is pretty slim pickings for larger boards.

I don't know if the downwinder and racing scenes are disproportionately small around here, or if the SUP community in general is just too small to support stocking larger specialty boards. What's it like up your way?

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 06:35:32 AM »
From Sylvan Lake to Calgary, the selection is limited. Options in Calgary are mec, Aquabatics, undercurrents, and rednik with their selection generally being limited to 10 boards on display or less. Peak season undercurrents may have more than 10 on display, and mec is the only place that displayed a 14 footer that I noticed last year in the Calgary Area.

Kalavida carries the largest range in the Kootenays that I have seen, but I'm not sure of the numbers. There are shops that sell SUPs in Nelson, Slocan valley and Cranbrook in the interior, with Hellmans in Nelson having the largest number of boards in stock that I have noticed in this area. I would say maybe 6-10 boards in the showroom and up to 20 or more peak season in their warehouse. The options for 14 footers have improved in my area with Kalavida having the most options once again.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 07:09:09 AM »
My experience probably doesn't count since I live in Hood River and Maui. Big Winds here in Hood River has a huge selection with Starboard, Naish, SIC, and other brands. Their rental fleet includes race boards and has to be around a hundred boards. Two years ago I wanted to demo a bunch of 14' boards to see what worked best for me, and they had M&M, Starboard, Naish, Bark, and a few other brands--all handy down at the event center. And then there's Gorge Performance in Portland that carries everything. They have a dedicated SUP building and it's always overflowing in the summer. It's kind of over the top around here.

And Maui is Maui. There's probably a few thousand boards available for rental on Maui. I'm probably underestimating that. There's a new outfit on the West side called 808 surf that rents production Foote boards--they bring in multiple containerloads. Then there's the usual suspects--High Tech, Hawaiian Island, Second Wind, Cabrina, the Naish store, etc.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 07:48:26 AM »
Quick count of the showroom has about 50 different models, not counting rental boards.  We have 4 racks of 14 boards, they are all full (but we have a couple color options of same models so I didn't count those).  We have 6 14'ers in stock. 

come and buy some....

raf :D

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies all.

Looks like we are doing okay, selection wise. 
Since my shop is kind of in the middle of no where - I was just trying to gauge how we were doing.

Right now I have 159 different boards in stock.
About 55 in the store - and the rest in my warehouse 3 minutes away.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies all.

Looks like we are doing okay, selection wise. 
Since my shop is kind of in the middle of no where - I was just trying to gauge how we were doing.

Right now I have 159 different boards in stock.
About 55 in the store - and the rest in my warehouse 3 minutes away.

You are doing awesome selection wise and rival the big boys for numbers and diversity in your line up without question. Amazing considering you are located in Northern Alberta.

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »
Nauset Sports stocks Naish, NSP, Exocet, Canibal, Watersedge and a few others with plenty of selection in each…. Don’t know the numbers, but the shop has a SUP room that is full plus storage.

The Pumphouse stocks Focus, SUPSports and Dolsey that I know… probably others. He just gout a shipment of SUPSports the other day… so we have a pretty good selection around my town…. Lots of well stocked shops within 2 hours drive.

Yeah SUP!!!! Much better than 2 years ago ;D

Thanks to ALL of you dealers that have invested, so we can compare the latest and greatest.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »
Not sure that it will answer your question regarding selection but I did send an inquiry email to Kalavida surf shop about an item shown in their web page and never received an answer...
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 06:37:06 PM »
Not sure that it will answer your question regarding selection but I did send an inquiry email to Kalavida surf shop about an item shown in their web page and never received an answer...
I take this back. The mix-up was due to the use of an iPhone that did not make it to my email.
Once that was corrected, the shop was very helpful and sent a photo of the option available along with price. A+++
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 05:43:00 AM »
Local SUP shop?....what's that?  Never heard of one. They exist? Well I'll be...

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 08:37:08 AM »
we have a local shop in my town.  they sell SUP and kiteboards.  went there three years ago to demo an SUP to see what SUP was all about.  he gave me a piece of crap with a paddle way too short.  the 16 year old help then berated me ( guess i was old to him)  telling me how kiteboarding was a "very technical sport".  then he tried to tell me I was strapping the board down wrong to my car.  my paddlecraft quiver, at the time, was three carbon fiber sea kayaks, a surf ski, and two whitewater boats, I think I got the how to load a boat part down years ago.  so since then, I have purchased six boards, none from the local shop.  one Surftech Bark from Paddle Surf Warehouse, two Reds from Air Kayak, and a Lakeshore and two Boardworks' from REI.  guess the mall rat made an expensive mistake.  but he still made his $10 an hour, even if the shop didn't sell me those 6 boards.  hope he reads this and remembers ...  or his boss does. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM