Author Topic: Zoners get sent up the river  (Read 4157 times)

supthecreek

Zoners get sent up the river
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:19:35 PM »
It always starts with a post....

Glowmaster (aka Mr. Ed)....Anyone want to run Bass River tomorrow?

Yep said I
Me too replied Mr Big
Ok then... it's on said Mr Ed

Mr. Big picked me up and we were off to meet the Glowmaster in the parking lot at the mouth of the Bass River...
Mrs Glowmaster took the Glowmobile and promised to meet us at the other end of the run, in Follins Pond. Awesome... no shuttling cars back and forth!!!

Cleveland had his big green machine (12'6 Exocet Marlin)
Ed had a beautiful yellow 12'6, the variety of which I don't remember... but it was sweet looking!
I had my 9'5 Mana -  out gunned as usual :o

Really nice day... wind and tide were going our way (as planned by Mr Ed)

We swept up river at a brisk pace, though the harbors, past marinas and though large bays.
When we got to the abandoned Railroad Bridge, the tide was squished through a narrow channel formed by bridge abutments. It was like riding rapids... whirlpools formed all over, trying to grab your fins an give us a dunking, the water was spinning in every direction, and I think I was clocking over 5mph just standing on my board.

I took some pictures of the strong current and whirlpools as we went past....They did their best to grab our fins and knock us off our boards....  then a quiet paddle into Follins Pond where Mrs Glowmaster returned us to Mr Bigs truck.

It was a pleasure to meet Mr & Mrs Ed.... I look forward to paddling with him again.
By the by... Mr Ed & I traded boards for a short demo.... his big yellow was very impressive... one of the nicest flat-water boards I have tried.
Then Mr Big, Mr Ed and I did a round Robin paddle swap.. a Miliko, a Wiki and a bent shaft Werner... gotta love impromptu demo's

The Zone is great... fantastic people to meet and enjoy our SUP stoke with ;D ;D

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Zoners get sent up the river
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:52 PM »
We get whirlpools where I live when the tide is running.  I was in the water before I even saw it.  We can get up to a 7' swing in the tide, which can create some weird conditions.  I always figure out which way the tides running and go out against it and then I get to ride it back in.  GPS averaged 3.5mph against the tide and over 8.5 coming back with it. 

Cleve, great to put a face to a name.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 02:18:43 AM »
Good thing we have no audio. When the whirlpool grabbed my giant Kai Lenny fin on the marlin I said a few things that are not worth repeating. Great paddle with Rick and Ed. My respect for whitewater sup brothers has always been there, but is now waaay more!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 02:26:31 AM »
Gorgeous run. Nice!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 03:51:34 AM »
I had a wonderful time meeting you guys and showing you the Bass Run at it's finest.  It was as much of a gabfest as a paddle, as I had never met these two interesting guys.   Thanks to the Zone for enabling us to meet kindred spirits. 

Sometimes the bridge is actual white water, and I hit my knees to go through.  I fell going under the bridge once but popped back up pretty quickly.

The cold water bufflehead ducks are still around, I like them.  There are an unusually high number of big jellyfish around already, what will it be like in August!

I have a 14' Ohana, and it is a sweet board to paddle.

I did like the Kenalu paddle a lot and cant wait to get my new Ho'Oloa to come. 

I hope we get to do this again.

ed

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 04:18:04 AM »
Nice photos Rick!   

He took the photos while balancing on a small surfsup while going through whirlpools, all while wearing a cowboy hat. And the pictures are in focus! That is talent.

Good onya Rick.

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
It was the Hat :D

Thank's again Ed... it was great of you and your wife to do all the shuttle work.

Since Ed brought up falling off going under the bridge....

I would seriously recommend to anyone wishing to make this run:

If you don't have a quick release waist leash:
remove your leash well before the narrows speed up the flow...
The current is so fast, that should your board get on the other side of a piling... it would be easier to drown than take your ankle leash off.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »
What STC said! +1 Unhook so you won't get hooked. OBTW the whirlpools are deep!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

shankfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • shankfoo on fb
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »
Sweet!  Creek is a floaty photo master.

...Man I gotta get me a dry suit or something so I can get out there when it's cold
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:47:46 PM by shankfoo »
- Kevin -
| Angulo Shaka 14' | Surftech Bark Laird 14' | Coreban Alpha 12'6 | Uli 14' | Red 10'6 || QB Kanaha 100 86" |

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
Hi Kevin & M!!!
When you coming down for some paddling? Getting to be that time  ;D

shankfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • shankfoo on fb
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 12:16:23 PM »
Soon I hope!  It's definitely about that time...
It'd be fun to see a whole zoner convoy running creeks down your way.
- Kevin -
| Angulo Shaka 14' | Surftech Bark Laird 14' | Coreban Alpha 12'6 | Uli 14' | Red 10'6 || QB Kanaha 100 86" |

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 02:41:03 PM »
Come up to the mtns! Take you guys down some great river runs, half the fun is getting tossed by currents. We either use super short fins or nothing at all!

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »
It was the Hat :D

Thank's again Ed... it was great of you and your wife to do all the shuttle work.

Since Ed brought up falling off going under the bridge....

I would seriously recommend to anyone wishing to make this run:

If you don't have a quick release waist leash:
remove your leash well before the narrows speed up the flow...
The current is so fast, that should your board get on the other side of a piling... it would be easier to drown than take your ankle leash off.

PFD with knife attached also for this kinda situation, is a must on river runs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal