Author Topic: A GoPro-Killer? with Display  (Read 2984 times)

supLaz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
A GoPro-Killer? with Display
« on: April 24, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »
Have read an interesting test of the Toshiba Camileo X-sports,
not bad at all for 1/2 price of the GoPro Hero3 - Black Edition.
Has someone already tried it?

Laz

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: A GoPro-Killer? with Display
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 11:34:40 AM »
Why oh why is no one making similar form factor version with lens options. The Ultra wide angle is useful for 80 percent of the video shot, leaving 20 percent that sucks toads.

Looks pretty good though, and I'd expect good build quality. I'm fairly pleased with my $94 go pro knockoff, which also has a LCD screen but no remote or app, and could use some documentation. As with the Toshiba, it's 1080 X 60fps, comes with a zillion mounts, many of which are more clever than GoPro mounts (for example, most of the adapter clips have a brass tripod mount screw insert in them) and all GoPro compatible. Comes with an extra LiPo battery. If it had come out before the Black it would be a GoPro killer--or at least such away some of the air.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 03:52:27 PM »
the wrist remote control feature sounds great although didn't see any footage of anyone utilizing that feature, and I wonder if the remote is waterproof
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 07:56:09 PM »
Looks interesting, although it seems more like a gopro knockoff than than a gopro killer.  The features, shape, case, app, remote, mounts and even the touch screen look like a copy of the gopro, I don't see much innovation.  To take away market share Toshiba would have to come out with something better, not just a "me too" copy at a lower price point.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 03:56:26 AM »
At first I thought the GoPro was a pretty neat idea but now after watching a few hundred videos, I've found that most of them are pretty boring. The camera is just too close to what's being shot. The only GoPro videos worth watching are the ones where the camera is a good distance away from the user either mounted on the paddle or some sort of makeshift rig such as in DJ's vids.

They need to do something to widen the lens if that's possible, to give the viewer a better perspective of the action.

I think there are still more ingenious ways to mount the camera to get the camera farther back, away from the board. Also I have yet to see any mounts on gimbals to make the camera self leveling.

One strange thing I've noticed with these cameras is that very few people ever use them as a handheld. I keep wanting to say, just stop paddling for a few minutes, hold the camera in your hands and shoot some decent video.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal