Author Topic: New ideas  (Read 8902 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
New ideas
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:08:08 PM »
Is anyone trying anything new and exciting. There must be someone thinking outside the box. I'd love to hear what whacky ideas people are working on.

Here's what I'm up to:
I played around with some models trying to get an idea of where the greatest amount of drag comes from in a racing SUP. In a lot of cases it seems to be the fin (or rudder) and the rail. This summer I'm going to build a finless board with a tunnel hull and a tiny front rudder for steering. The rudder will use RC/autopilot steering.

So that's me. I'm using the screwed up 19' Speedboard that UPS turned into junk as the mule.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »
New and exciting? Well, I have a couple of new boards on the drawing board, but the most new and exciting thing I have is the latest tool in my arsenal. A $6 pair of tweezers....with a very fine point.  Why, you ask? Well here's how it works for me.  I'm a deadbeat so I build outside.  When it's time to hot coat I need two things...a margarita and a good pair of tweezers.  After applying the epoxy I grab my tweezers and my margarita and while away the next hour picking bugs and leaf detritus off my board while enjoying my cool beverage and waiting for the epoxy to set.  Not a bad way to pass the time.  Now suffice it to say that the finish quality of my boards is off the charts....that's off the bottom of the charts and spiraling downward....but with a margarita, who cares?  Now the problem is the cartels attacking the lime growers and the skyrocketing price of limes.  Anyone that can develop a paddle a great as the KeNalu could surely do something with limes....Bill?....buddy. I'd be happy to come stay with you and help you with your very cool idea if you could work a miracle with the limes....I already have the tweezers....buddy?

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:47:26 PM »
Well...my next door neighbor is the guy who invented Ugg Boots.  He's currently writing a book about it. His free advice to me today was, "get something started on the Internet."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »
Anyone that can develop a paddle a great as the KeNalu could surely do something with limes....Bill?....buddy. I'd be happy to come stay with you and help you with your very cool idea if you could work a miracle with the limes....I already have the tweezers....buddy?

We have two lime trees that are driving us crazy--so many limes we can't possibly use them all. I still have lime marmalade from last year, so that ain't gonna work. I have six quart bottles of home-squeezed lime juice in the refrigerator. You're welcome to a couple. Or come pick limes. they're falling on the ground.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:01:01 PM »
I have been chewing on this lately since I want light boards, but can't afford to break even one.

Seems to me that the one area, that could vastly improve SUP durability is in rethinking the stringer... or lack of.

There must be some material to make a really strong, light weight stringer(s), that would make SUP's hold up during a severe beating.

How about 5 thin carbon stringers, spread across the board? I'd accept an extra pound or two, if it would seriously resist folding.
Set up the CNC machine to grind down the stringers just below the finished surface, so you wouldn't run into problems with the final sanding.

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 11:24:09 PM »
I have been chewing on this lately since I want light boards, but can't afford to break even one.

Seems to me that the one area, that could vastly improve SUP durability is in rethinking the stringer... or lack of.

There must be some material to make a really strong, light weight stringer(s), that would make SUP's hold up during a severe beating.

How about 5 thin carbon stringers, spread across the board? I'd accept an extra pound or two, if it would seriously resist folding.
Set up the CNC machine to grind down the stringers just below the finished surface, so you wouldn't run into problems with the final sanding.

Brokite kiteboards does something like that. There are several youtube videos on how they do it, but that's a kiteboard. 

I'm sticking with balsa sandwich top and bottom panels, perimeter wood stringers with XPS rails and S glass for the sup boards.
Mostly because it just rides so smooth and it's very responsive. Also very light, strong and durable.
Cork deck grip also contributes to ride control.

A triple sandwiched primary core also works great and contributes tremendous strength. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:27:33 PM by getsupngo »

supLaz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 12:12:57 AM »

Bill,
trying to make Limoncello and you can be sure that nothing is left  ;)
Laz

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:34:46 AM »
There are plenty of options out there some of which i have explored in the past for doing this sort of thing but it gets to to the point were you end up putting so much more time and materials in to it you would probably be better of getting a new board should you break one on the odd occasion and there will always be that risk . Then there is the fact that it will probably be so stiff it feels horrible to surf. Its not just a single factor you are playing with its a mater of getting a  balance between all the properties right for what you want especially in surfboard. Thousands of things have been tried in the past and thousands more different technologies and materials in the future but at the end of the day it will all most certainly come down to how much money you are willing to pay. The reason that surfboards are made how they are at the moment as im sure you are aware and that is because it is a really good compromise between the way the boards surf, the durability and the cost (to name a few)

Would you pay twice as much for a board that was supper strong but realistically still had a small chance of breaking or have two boards that are as they are now with a higher risk but in reality the odd are not to bad from personal experience. 

What would you be willing to trade in terms of properties for something that will hold up to a big lip drooping on it. cost, performance, weight? it would be great to be able to have all 3 but that is highly unlikely.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 02:25:55 AM »
We are working on a few new projects, including a new rudder system for unlimited boards.  It will not be an electronic servo controlled rudder like PonoBills, just manually controlled but we are trying to improve on what's currently available, I will keep you posted on this project when we have a working prototype. 
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 04:54:21 AM »
I discovered a material I can put in my rail lamination that makes them 100% mark proof, impact proof, and hammer proof against any paddle.

The material will not be named. It wasn't rocket science. You just have to want a better board and do the experiments until you get there.

I had hoped the paddle companies would solve the problem, but got tired of waiting on them.

supLaz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 06:23:39 AM »
I discovered a material I can put in my rail lamination that makes them 100% mark proof, impact proof, and hammer proof against any paddle.

The material will not be named. It wasn't rocket science. You just have to want a better board and do the experiments until you get there.

I had hoped the paddle companies would solve the problem, but got tired of waiting on them.

I guess with that good impact resistance, it is a thermoplastic polymer,
the question is, how is the long-term adhesion with the epoxy matrix.

I do not understand paddle companies, they call themselves a high-tech tent,
fighting against every ounce of weight and build at the same time shitty, technically useless ABS in the blade.
Laz

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 06:32:38 AM »

Its taken me two years testing various brands and methods but i have finally found glass that doesn't get those extremely annoying whites or little shatter marks when left un painted which has been a huge relief for me as i just couldn't seam to get any info any where. The carbon rails i put on my dw board were as bomb proof as i would ever need a board to be but finding something more cost effective and easier to work with would always be nice.

My 20' long cnc  i am building at the moment is using up all my spare time and then some but once thats running there are stacks of new ideas i will be trying on various levels from sup stuff to hopefully small unpowered aircraft, makes me excited just thinking about some of them.

There are a bunch of other little sup products i have been working on and prototyped but always get stuck getting the cash to put it into production so they will have to stay undercover un till that is posable.   

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »
here's my little project, just got the x and y axis rolling today so pretty stoked this is going to open up a hole load more options for creating new ideas.

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 04:19:12 PM »
Dang dude... your getting ready for the big time!!!

That looks solid! Nice job.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. You already have some of the nicest finish on your boards.... this is just going to make your creativity explode!!!!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 04:26:14 PM »
Dang dude... your getting ready for the big time!!!

That looks solid! Nice job.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. You already have some of the nicest finish on your boards.... this is just going to make your creativity explode!!!!

Cheers creek i cant wait as well ive got so many ideas just from the last 10 years it will be like a dream come true when i get it up and running! i just wish there were more hours in the day or another pair of hands. Its a long way away but im hoping i will be able to use it to earn a little better income from it and allow me to surf just that little bit more  8)

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal