Author Topic: How long a wait for a custom sup?  (Read 4045 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
How long a wait for a custom sup?
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:14:06 AM »

Sup shapers and board builders are going to hate this question.  How long does the average "Custom" sup board (From start to finish) take to complete?  I realize board building is labor intensive but as a customer how long is to long to wait for a special order board.  Most shapers say 4 to 6 weeks but it's been my experience through the years that the board always takes longer to complete.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How long a wait for a custom sup?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:10:07 AM »
The shaping takes very little time. The CNC with a finish sanding or hand shaping only take one to two days. Then they sit with a massive pile of unglassed board at the glass shops. Some shops can glass 10 to 15 boards at a time, but there are so many steps to getting a finished product that it keeps those piles thick. A big Sup will take up the room of two or three surfboards, which just slows their production even more. These glasser and sanders are the hardest working group of all. I seldom see them surfing, and they work endless messy hours.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »
I'd say the shortest time would be 3 to 4 weeks. There are any variable but the biggest problems for missing the estimated date seem to be workers not showing up, materials not being available, and 'special' clients cutting in front of of your order. A reliable shaper should be able to give you a good estimate, but stuff does happen. If you tell your shaper that you need the board by a certain date because you are going on trip you may have better luck with a promise-by date.

dpmaui

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 10:43:13 AM »
It takes me 4-5 hours to hand shape a board, about 2-3 hours to paint one, depending on the order. Once painted, about 4-5 days to glass and finish, depending on the surf.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:51:13 AM »
I had the pleasure of ordering a custom SUP from Pat Rawson. Seven weeks from wire transfer to delivery at Logan International in Boston. Most of the time was while the board was at Hawaii Glass. Ordering a board during the North Shore Pro "busy season" added to the overall time. The estimate I received was accurate, and the board shaped by Pat is incredible. Prolly gonna do it again as I continue to try and go shorter!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 11:21:39 AM »
Your mileage will vary. Dave Peterson (DPMaui) completed my new Footie in an incredibly short time, especially since the surf was pretty good then. The short timeframe was trimmed even more by Bill Foote wanting to get the heck out of town. I won't say how short it was or Dave will hit me on the head with a paddle, but I was surprised.

At the other end of the spectrum, if you order a hollow board from SIC, prepare for a long wait. Best to order a year ahead. Really. Even then your delivery date might be distressingly wobbly--and it won't wobble in the shorter direction.

They can only build one board at a time in those molds, and the board stays in the mold through a lot of the process. Very time consuming, very complicated, and a very long time between steps. There's a reason they cost $4K and it's not to support Mark's exotic lifestyle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »
3 to 4 months for my Infinity 14' Spear

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:05:17 PM »
Takes me 2 weeks. That's with a day job. I do a little before going to the office, a little in the evening, plus two weekends.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »
I have a friend who is a shaper for one of the big name surfboard shapers. He is allowed to shape boards for friends on his own time at the shop but they are lower priority. I've had several long boards shaped by him and I know to order them way in advance of needing them. One board took well over six months. I kept a log of all the excuses/problems he gave along the way and when it was finally finished I printed it out, framed it, and gave it to him. He has it hanging in his shaping room. Problems included loosing my deposit check so he couldn't get a blank, there was a blank shortage and his fellow shapers stole my blank out of his room, a chain restaurant came in with an order for 50 boards to hang up in there stores so he had to do those before mine, he went on vacation, on & on.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 06:01:01 PM »
We're anywhere from 3 - 10 weeks...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2014/04/california-made-sups.html

Final determining factors depend on whether we have the blank in stock or have to have it CNC'd...the complexity of construction (mast track install...fishing tie-downs...etc)..graphical complexity and custom decals...holidays...material shortages...whether client made changes...etc...sometimes everything really falls into place...in a few instances, there is time slippage...we are talking glassers, BTW...but, for the most part it's a pretty smooth process unless the client is anxiety ridden type...;-)

Oh...and, the clock doesn't start until the mock up is complete and the deposit is made...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »
6-8 weeks is the norm for legit factories. Less for home build backyard\garage boards.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 09:10:14 PM »
My Vec was 3 months but he let me know going in that he had a large order of boards in front of me.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »
I always tell my friends that whatever I tell them they should always at least double it. If I say 2 weeks that means somewhere around 4 weeks. Usually it ends up around 3 weeks and all is well.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 03:51:56 PM »
3 to 4 months for my Infinity 14' Spear

I've waited 3 months for an Infinity.

I've waited 8 weeks for one too.

All four of my custom orders have arrived at different intervals because of the many variables in play that many have mentioned already.

All wait times have been worth it to me.

But I always want them quicker. haha
Taller than most, shorter than others.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal