Author Topic: double sided paddle.  (Read 5387 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: double sided paddle.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 10:18:23 AM »
Six months late here.  Anyway, most people on the Zone have probably seen this clip by now.  This is an Australian surf ski (far different animal from the modern surf skis used now) that was brought over as a gift for Duke from an Australian who was in Hawaii  with other Australians for I believe either a swimming completion and/or a lifesaving demonstration.  These craft were actually designed to be sat on but many riders chose to stand on them like a surfboard.  Duke may have been the first guy to do this in Hawaii but he was hardly the first to stand on these craft and waveride. 
On a side note, John “Zap” Zapotocky (RIP) said Duke was the first guy he ever saw using a paddle on a surfboard and encouraged him to give it a try and from that point on that’s how Zap surfed.  My big question is; did Zap see Duke riding this surf ski or did he see him actually using a single blade paddle on a more surfboard/paddleboard type of craft?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPnM4ymNj3o

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 10:29:57 AM »
Very cool. I noticed the paddlers in the canoes were using long shaft paddles--pre-t-handle. Duke had a paddle leash that he used to help get to his feet. That's kind of interesting.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »
Very cool. I noticed the paddlers in the canoes were using long shaft paddles--pre-t-handle. Duke had a paddle leash that he used to help get to his feet. That's kind of interesting.

Check this out.  This is what I was talking about in the previous post.  Notice the ski riders are actually sitting down as they are paddling into the wave and then they pop to their feet and put the paddle down and surf it like a regular board.  That's what the tether was for.   As I mentioned before, these craft were not designed with standing up in mind but these guys did it anyway.  Maybe it was to show the surfboard guys that they could stand and surf also.

http://aso.gov.au/titles/documentaries/thrill-of-the-surf/clip1/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:13:07 AM by surf4food »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal