Author Topic: Endless Winter  (Read 4356 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Endless Winter
« on: April 19, 2014, 07:22:16 AM »
It has felt like winter would never end up here in New Hampshire this year, but I was still shocked after seeing a nice weather report and surf forecast this morning to find this on the Jenness Beach surf cam:

:'(

Please, Summer Sessions, replace that placeholder image with something more seasonally appropriate before you give someone a heart attack!  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Endless Winter
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:57:13 AM »
On the plus side, the surf looks pretty good.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »
Same deal here in the Great White North (gee I wonder where we got that name from) - woke up to 3" of new snow yesterday.  Yuck!
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 12:40:22 PM »
Sunny and nice down here today..... :) Managed to squeeze in an hour in chest high glass at Nantasket this morning.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 04:14:40 PM »
It was actually a beautiful day up here today. Surf was larger and cleaner than in that old picture, and with bright sun and 60 degree air, the 39 degree water actually felt refreshing!  :D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 06:41:20 PM »
It was actually a beautiful day up here today. Surf was larger and cleaner than in that old picture, and with bright sun and 60 degree air, the 39 degree water actually felt refreshing!  :D

Seriously sick.

I'll be headed back to the Northwest shortly (less than a month) and the Columbia is usually about 45-50F. Makes a big difference in my balance--I don't fall nearly as often.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 02:54:34 AM »

I went in the morning right after sunrise. It was nice before the wind came up.

I drove by Jenness in the afternoon and it was blowing 15 to 20 straight offshore. I watched a few SUPS trying to deal with it. Too windy for me though.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 04:45:48 AM »

Seriously sick.

I'll be headed back to the Northwest shortly (less than a month) and the Columbia is usually about 45-50F. Makes a big difference in my balance--I don't fall nearly as often.

http://fpc.org/tempgraphsnet/NETFullYear_tempgraph.aspx

The water is 50 already :).  The valleys are blooming and if the sunny spring holds it should be mid 50's when you get back. 

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 05:36:26 AM »
Water temps are cold here to say the least... The long winter has made the ice very slow to leave.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 06:00:30 AM »
I drove by Jenness in the afternoon and it was blowing 15 to 20 straight offshore. I watched a few SUPS trying to deal with it. Too windy for me though.

The wind was pretty stiff in the afternoon for sure. When it was blowing straight out, it made it real easy to get outside quickly but challenging to lineup for a wave without drifting too far out. By the end of my session, it had shifted to the NNW which made it impossible for me to lineup. As soon as I'd turn perpendicular to the waves and wind to start paddling for a wave, the wind would spin me back parallel and I'd fall off trying to switch sides and correct just as the wave reached me. I ended up riding in on my belly!  :D

Still, it was fun to be out there, and after the endless winter, nothing beats being able to change out of my wetsuit barefoot in the parking lot without feeling like I was getting frostbite on my feet!  ;D

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 02:49:47 AM »
Everything's alright now Luke. The Surfcam is back up and running. All the snow is gone.

http://www.newhampshiresurf.com/surf-cam

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:05:36 AM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »
Bass River yesterday with glowmaster and supthecreek. Fun in the sun baby! Ice nine gone. Surf  at CG in the a.m.. It's all good in the hood. But I don't need my hood!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 04:59:31 PM »
The warm
Everything's alright now Luke. The Surfcam is back up and running. All the snow is gone.

http://www.newhampshiresurf.com/surf-cam

Glad to see the Jenness Beach cam is back in action!

Bass River yesterday with glowmaster and supthecreek. Fun in the sun baby! Ice nine gone. Surf  at CG in the a.m.. It's all good in the hood. But I don't need my hood!

I spend more time in the water than out when I SUS, so my hood will stay on until the water temps reach the 50s. It felt great to get out on flatwater yesterday without the wetsuit though!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal