Author Topic: Wee bit of Scotland  (Read 9484 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Wee bit of Scotland
« on: April 18, 2014, 04:57:34 AM »
Nice wee short clip (not SUP) of one of the spots just a wee bit further down the coast from me. The chap surfing is on one of his Tomo inspired surfboards - he is more or less Scotland's numero one shaper. Made me a couple of boards in the past...one was a great twinny.

This was last weekend - first sunny day for ages, light offshore and decent period. Unfortunately this bay is not one for SUPs IMHO.  I have SUP surfed there a couple of times but only when it is quiet and waves small. It gets pretty busy on a small line up and there has been regulars there for many many years so I always choose to leave them in peace when waves are good. Reckon there would be aggro if SUPs started turning up in numbers....just not enough space on the small reef. I surfed it there on the opposite side a couple of weeks ago as the reef there works on low tide.

Just shows how stunning parts of Scotland can be.....and if you like this the spots I have seen way up in the north West are just breathtaking.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Wee bit of Scotland
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:28:47 AM »
Someone is really skilled with the remote.  Awesome.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:38:46 AM »
Coldy... I'm glad you moved it over from your board review thread... def a great view for Zonerworld....Thanks!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »
Coldy... I'm glad you moved it over from your board review thread... def a great view for Zonerworld....Thanks!

Yeah....was a bit hidden there and worth a look. Today is much the same over here but period not as good but enjoying my six year olds birthday instead. Out tomorrow maybe on the new Naish.

Here is another stunning beach.....but not naming this one chaps ;)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
Nice!

Pease was my local break (and some secrets) for 8 years from 1999 - 2007..

I do miss solo shredding on overhead perfect rights!

I have a big trip Scottish trip planned in a few weeks time.. A circumnav of the Ardnamurchan Peninsula, from Acharacle in Loch Shiel to Salen. Plan to take the River Shiel out via the large rapid into Loch Moidart and then head west to Sana Bay, around the point and then into Loch Sunart, back to Salen. About 40-50 miles.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 08:56:24 AM »
Nice vid! Pro feel. I really liked that drone view. The music fit perf and the waves were NICE! Does look like a tough go on SUP w/all those dudes out.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:26:30 AM »
Nice vid! Pro feel. I really liked that drone view. The music fit perf and the waves were NICE! Does look like a tough go on SUP w/all those dudes out.

I would paddle out there on my SUP.. They guys there havnt seen me since 2007! It would be a great reunion! :)

They are a pretty hardcore local crew but very friendly indeed once you break the ice. We have had epic sessions at Pease with all kind of craft in the water. As long as nobody drops in, everything is sweet.

Here's my wee bit of Scotland! Actually quite big! A film made by my friend, Ben back in 2005. There is a small Pease section in the middle, of the northern end low tide break.

Thurso :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9KxTXdayYQ

I get hammered at big Thurso in water temps of 4c :o
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 09:31:46 AM »
Here's one of my first attempts at making a surf vid.

Caithness in the summer 2006 :)

Mostly Brims Ness - The Bowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCyo4xMGwyM
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 09:38:49 AM »
Coldy - Thanks so much for sharing a wee bit o' Scotland's incredible surf with us! Now that you have a longboard style sup in addition to the JP you can go out anywhere you need to. Keep the pics and vids coming.. 8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 09:41:41 AM »
I have a big trip Scottish trip planned in a few weeks time.. A circumnav of the Ardnamurchan Peninsula, from Acharacle in Loch Shiel to Salen. Plan to take the River Shiel out via the large rapid into Loch Moidart and then head west to Sana Bay, around the point and then into Loch Sunart, back to Salen. About 40-50 miles.
Glad to hear that people are able to travel freely between England and Scotland.  Sounds like you've got things patched up since that Braveheart stuff, which is about 90% of what I and many Americans know about Scotland--one reason why I love seeing these videos.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 01:12:20 PM »
Glad to hear that people are able to travel freely between England and Scotland.  Sounds like you've got things patched up since that Braveheart stuff, which is about 90% of what I and many Americans know about Scotland--one reason why I love seeing these videos.

Patched up....not quite. We have a refereundum in Scotland in September to decide whether the country wants to break away from England (Great Britain).

Nice vids UK Rivers......not sure how many of your old crew will be there these days......but expect some will.....quite a lot of "old hands" are there I think ....not that I know them......not my regular spot.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »
They are still there, for sure!

Some have moved to other parts. Suds moved to Tiree and now runs Suds Surf School.. One of the best in Scotland. Some other lads  moved to Lewis and Caithness.

Bet the 'Bathgate Boys' are still there.. :)

I Surfed Pease a lot when I first moved to the area but soon started to frequent some more critical waves.

Low tide White Sands Off shore left.. Have you SUPed that yet? A stunning wave :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 02:23:14 PM »

Some have moved to other parts. Suds moved to Tiree and now runs Suds Surf School.. One of the best in Scotland. Some other lads  moved to Lewis and Caithness.

I Surfed Pease a lot when I first moved to the area but soon started to frequent some more critical waves.

Low tide White Sands Off shore left.. Have you SUPed that yet? A stunning wave :)

I don't do critical waves......leave that to those with more skill!

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 01:13:56 AM »

I don't do critical waves......leave that to those with more skill!

Chuckle! :)

I bet Andy Bennet and his son are still kicking around?

Andy was possibly the very first surfer in Scotland, started in 1962, and pioneered places like Thurso!

Where are you based?

I lived in Portobello, right on the beach.. Never had SUP then. I would spend days on end watching perfect peeling ankle high waves on Porty Beach wishing I could find a way to surf them.. Only if knew what was coming just around the corner in paddle surfing!
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 01:32:34 AM »
Someone is really skilled with the remote.  Awesome.

Up until I freaked out and centerpunched a palm tree I was working on the technique for tracking a surfer in a wave. I think it's going to be slick. You set a maximum height for the drone and then just move the throttle all the way up. Drone idles at the height you set. Then you aim the FPV camera at the subject and just back away as it moves towards you.

More bits are on the way, but I made the mistake of having some of the critical stuff sent USPS. I figured "got to be air no matter what". Wrong buckwheat. Shipped April 7, scheduled delivery is the 26th. Apparently someone is swimming it over.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:38:05 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal