Author Topic: 2014 14' Naish Glide GS vs Fanatic Falcon HRS?  (Read 14933 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
2014 14' Naish Glide GS vs Fanatic Falcon HRS?
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:39:30 PM »
Hey Zoners,

I'm planning to purchase my first 14' SUP this season and am looking for some advice to help me choose one. My requirements are:
  • Priced under $2K
  • All-around board with decent performance in flatwater, downwind, racing, and cruising in a variety of conditions
  • ledge-style handle
  • durable construction
My other priorities are:
  • Stability for my size - I'm 5'8, between 160-175 lbs
  • Efficiency paddling against or across wind, current, and chop (most of my paddling is round trip, and I want to increase the range of conditions and distance in bad conditions that I can handle)
  • Speed in mild to moderate flatwater and ocean conditions
  • Downwind performance in mild to moderate conditions (much of my downwinding will probably be in relatively protected New England waters like Great Bay, Casco Bay, and nearby lakes and rivers on days that I'm comfortable heading out alone).
  • Surfability - catching small to medium sized waves way outside at beach breaks like Jenness Beach and the Wall.
  • Capable of handling bigger downwind conditions (I'd like to try it anyway!)
After reading lots of reviews over the winter with these criteria in mind, I think I've narrowed my choices down to the 2014 Naish Glide 14' GS and the 2014 Fanatic Falcon 14x27 HRS. I'm hoping to demo both before making up my mind, but since I probably won't be able to try them extensively in all the various conditions and types of paddling that I expect to use one in, I'd appreciate any suggestions, observations, or warnings from Zoners that have experience with these boards already.

What are the relative strengths and weaknesses of these two boards? Anything in particular I should pay attention to when demoing one or the other? Does one or the other sound like a better fit for my priorities?

Thanks!

BoardStiff[/list][/list]

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2014 14' Naish Glide GS vs Fanatic Falcon HRS?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:40:14 PM »
Both great boards with the biggest difference being being in the nose shape.. The Glide cuts through like a hot knife through butter and not even a splash where the Falcon tends to push water forward to raise the nose causing an obvious sprinkler effect.. I doesn't seem to slow the board down and it reduces the chance of the dreaded broaching thing happening.. You can see it at the 2.30 mark in this vid.. You can see the Glide nose working at the 2.25 mark in the second vid.. I've used both and the Glide is much more stable.. and feels faster.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:45:15 PM by DavidJohn »

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:06:54 AM »
Thanks, DJ! From those videos, it looks like in a downwind situation, both boards keep moving through bumps ahead, one just goes under and the other goes over.

Do you know if the performance is similar when paddling against or across the wind and chop? Without the speed from gliding down the preceding wave, I'm wondering if the Falcon's nose would still be able to ride over the chop or if it would slap and slow down like a traditional planing hull. Also, does its extra volume in the nose make it more susceptible to crosswind and chop pushing it off target? And how does the Glide's nose compare in up/cross-wind and chop conditions? I'd think it would slice through oncoming waves, but maybe nose steer a bit in cross-chop?

Interesting also that the glide feels more stable despite its lower volume, though just looking at the two in the image at the start of your first video, the glide's shape does look like a more stable platform. Is there any trade-off with maneuverability?

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:41:34 PM »
Board Stiff,

I was in your exact position about a year ago. One thing to consider is purchasing a used board, or even a new board from last year's line.  The $ saved can be used to expand your quiver down the road.  I say this because a true flat water board is so much more fun in glass, and better for most races.  A lot of the more serious racers unload their equipment each year which can be a goldmine for discounted top of the line equipment. 

Regarding board choice, you can't lose.  I've ridden both boards (though not the 2014 glide yet) & would second DJ's thoughts.  Both are extremely fun.  I like the glide more but this is probably because I am used to it.  The glide is quieter during planing with less splashing about.  The Falcon's nose is not a problem in side chop provided you take a micro step back on the board.  Most importantly, both boards get into bumps quite easily. Another great option to consider would be the SIC bullet: both the V1 & V2 do incredibly well downwind & in side chop.  Gorgeous designs.  Regardless of your choice, any good DW board requires a bit of time to identify its sweet spots for different conditions.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »
BlueCrab, funny you should mention buying an older model... I was just looking at a new prior year carbon Glide on craigslist today, thinking maybe I should just pick it up for now and trade it in a year or so from now when I've had a chance to demo this year's boards and see what's new for next year. I'm sure I could get a better deal buying this year's boards used or at end of season discounted prices anyway. That's probably the smart thing to do, though with boards improving so much from year to year, it's tough to pass up the latest and greatest.  ;D

The SICs would probably be my top choice if I could afford them but are too pricey new. Maybe another good argument for buying used!

So what did you end up buying? Glide?

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »
I am with you. If not for a few other expensive hobbies, kids' tuitions & skeptical wife, I am sure I'd be picking up new boards each year.

I ended up going old school with a carbon 2011 glide, soon followed by a carbon Javelin for flat water / light DW. A buddy of mine is housing a V1 in my garage while he moves so I've been fortunate to DW on both boards numerous times.

Both the SIC & the Naish are just superb for our local DW conditions.  They are a bit different & each gets more fun with time on board (I would actually say that a single demo might be misleading).  They each have a slightly different sweet spot.  The Naish requires a bit more walking but feels incredible when on a long plane. The Naish can get spun around a bit more with side chop but this becomes manageable with practice. Sounds like from those on the zone that the newer SIC & Naish models are even better.

In sum, both are awesome. You can't lose.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 07:29:37 PM »
The old Glides are great if you're willing to sacrifice a little flatwater speed for downwind fun.  I like mine (2011) because it feels "surfy" in the bumps; I find myself walking up & down the board, trying to cross-step, leaning into turns, smiling the whole time.  Handles everything pretty well except straight upwind, but the 2012 & newer have rectified that by lowering the nose rocker. 

The Falcon is probably faster in all conditions... I tried the narrower model, it was AWESOME, caught every tiny bump instantly, but didn't feel "surfy."  In fact, I hardly moved my feet at all and it just did the work for me.  That could be good or bad, depending on your preference. 

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 04:21:19 AM »
I run a 2013 14' Glide and it's everything you've heard and more. Last year it took me across Cape Cod Bay (CCBC) over 34 miles in some side chop and various conditions and I didn't fall once, where other guys on other boards seemed to have a few more challenges with what they were paddling (I'm chalking up the few guys falling in to their boards being challenged by the conditions and not their skills).

I'd recommend trying what you can and take into account everyone's advice, I did and was thankful I did.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 05:05:48 AM »
The SICs would probably be my top choice if I could afford them but are too pricey new. Maybe another good argument for buying used!

I have a SIC Bullet 14 for sale a few miles south of you in Southern Mass. $1500. It is in great condition. If you are interested in trying it let me know, I'll grab another board and we can go for a paddle.
Bunch of old shit

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 05:31:07 AM »
I'm NOT going to comment (as I am a dealer) but I have a Fanatic Falcon 14 X 27.25 here at the shop (Atlantic City NJ) you are welcome to demo I'll just say this (remember I'm a dealer) "The Falcon is fast and smooth in all angles of chop and down wind it rides up and over chop rather than pushing through it improving the glide"...  They do make a Falcon Flatwater that cuts through smooth water like a "Hot Knife through Butter" (sorry to duplicate that analogy but you get the idea"

If I can be of any help feel free to contact me here or email

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 06:33:45 AM »
The old Glides are great if you're willing to sacrifice a little flatwater speed for downwind fun.  I like mine (2011) because it feels "surfy" in the bumps; I find myself walking up & down the board, trying to cross-step, leaning into turns, smiling the whole time.  Handles everything pretty well except straight upwind, but the 2012 & newer have rectified that by lowering the nose rocker. 

FogCity, those 1st gen Glides sound like fun downwind boards! However, most of my paddling is either flatwater or upwind before turning downwind, so I don't think these older ones would be versatile enough for my purposes.

For anyone who's into this classic shape, though, there's a former shop owner near Concord, NH that is selling a new one (the last of his unliquidated inventory, "never touched the water") in carbon for $1100. I was all set to buy it until he double-checked and found it was a 2011 instead of a 2012 as originally thought.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 06:40:34 AM »
I run a 2013 14' Glide and it's everything you've heard and more. Last year it took me across Cape Cod Bay (CCBC) over 34 miles in some side chop and various conditions and I didn't fall once, where other guys on other boards seemed to have a few more challenges with what they were paddling (I'm chalking up the few guys falling in to their boards being challenged by the conditions and not their skills).

I'd recommend trying what you can and take into account everyone's advice, I did and was thankful I did.

Good recommendation, PDLSFR, that's my plan!  :)

I think we PM'd last summer after the CCBC about what a great board the 2nd gen Glide was for that kind of paddling, and I've been keeping my eye out for a used one ever since. Unfortunately all you Glide owners seem too attached to them, as very few have appeared on the market!  ;)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 06:54:17 AM »

I have a SIC Bullet 14 for sale a few miles south of you in Southern Mass. $1500. It is in great condition. If you are interested in trying it let me know, I'll grab another board and we can go for a paddle.

addapost, thanks for the offer. I was actually referring more to the Bullet V2 or possibly the new F14, as I understand those have a lowered rocker profile more suited to all-around use (more like the 2014 Glide and Falcons) than the more downwind-oriented Bullet (V1). Still, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of your Bullet in flatwater, up/cross-wind, or disorganized chop. Also, are you looking to replace it with a different board once you sell this one?

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 07:11:28 AM »
I'm NOT going to comment (as I am a dealer) but I have a Fanatic Falcon 14 X 27.25 here at the shop (Atlantic City NJ) you are welcome to demo I'll just say this (remember I'm a dealer) "The Falcon is fast and smooth in all angles of chop and down wind it rides up and over chop rather than pushing through it improving the glide"...  They do make a Falcon Flatwater that cuts through smooth water like a "Hot Knife through Butter" (sorry to duplicate that analogy but you get the idea"

If I can be of any help feel free to contact me here or email

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Hey JimK, I don't know if it's a violation of forum rules/etiquette, but I'm happy to hear comments from dealers too, as long as their dealer status is disclosed. You guys have experience with a lot of different boards and surely get plenty of customer feedback on them, so your perspective is quite helpful. Plus there are always plenty of other Zoners eager to point out dealers' brand biases and keep y'all honest!  ;)

I was actually thinking I might have to take a road trip down to NJ to try out one of your Falcons, but I just found a local shop that deals in Fanatics and is expecting a shipment of 2014s before I'd be able to make it to NJ. Thanks for the offer though, and I hope to get down to your shop next time I'm in NJ anyway.

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 07:16:08 AM »
hi there,
dont know if you already made purchase, but as this would be your board, I would recomend NSP touring 14'. its very stable, bul little heavier as others, but very very durable. DJ tested a board a while ago and posted it on this site and i like it a lot as i own it for a year now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgxTIlwE4JM
pricevise i believe this is the best first 14' board. its 800€ in europe right now or even cheaper.

there's also Mistral Ventura 14', which was released this year. its supposed to be touring board
DIMENSIONS 14’0“ Ventura
 LENGTH 14’0“ | 427 CM
 WIDTH 27.5“ | 70 CM
 THICKNESS 6 7/8“ | 17.5 CM
 VOLUME 315 L
 WEIGHT 28 LBS | 12.6 KG
http://www.mistral-sup.com/index.php/products/board-finder/sup-boards/ventura-14-0.html
its 1.600€ in europe.

good luck.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal