Author Topic: Wide point forward downwind shape  (Read 1972 times)

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wide point forward downwind shape
« on: April 17, 2014, 05:02:13 PM »
In talking with my shaper it sounds like there is a whole lot more going on with this 14' x26/27 downwind shape than just the wide point forward.  A little low entry rocker, some  greater volume up front, a shortboard style approach to the rails (whatever that means, it's just what he said).  This will be a whole different downwind experience for me than I've had on my raceboards, or old version Naish Glide 14', or any of the sit down craft Ive paddled. Hopefully I'll hit the water within 4-5 weeks. 

Any thoughts, pro or con, are appreciated.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wide point forward downwind shape
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »
Fanatic went that direction, but they really put a 'beluga' (high volume) nose on it. Moving the wide point forward gives you straighter rails,  which reduces steering but gives you gun type of speed. I don't have much downwind experience, so I'm not sure if you need a whole lot of steering? One of my old windsurf guns was shaped that way. The downside is a wide flat planing type of nose will just smack down at the bottom of a trough. The nose rocker and hull need to soften the impact. Tricky stuff, but Fanatic and Starboard seem to be dialing it in.
As far as the 'short board type of rails', I picture a turned down pinched rail shape. I personally don't like pinched rails on any long or very long board. Actually, I don't like them on any SUP. They tend to grab, when you really want them to be more forgiving and slide (50/50 rail). Only hard at the tail. You also need a little rocker and volume at the tail to catch the bump. The Fanatic really comes to a long pin tail, but they keep it pretty thick to maintain volume for a push. Fun experimenting anyway! Let us know how it works out....
Good luck.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:42:11 AM »
Thanks TallDude,  great bit of history and Rail 101.  I have seen the ocean and f latwater Fanatic boards but not a dw board.  I will check it out.  This will be a different downwind experience for me and a fun bit of experimentation even if this road has been travelled before.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:13:40 PM »
Interesting shape.  It reminds me of my old Coast Runner.  (Just a little..).  It too had the wide point forwards of center (not as extreme though), and a pin tail...though it's tail was chopped and pretty thick.  It sure picked up glides effortlessly.  Unfortunately the fat boofy nose was not quite up to the task.. It was a good idea, but not refined enough. 

Very cool that you're experimenting instead of blindly following the herd. 

DS
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:17:53 PM by Muskoka SUP »
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal