Author Topic: Big guy getting started in San Diego...  (Read 7540 times)

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Big guy getting started in San Diego...
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »
I'm 58 years old, 6'5" and 250 lbs.  Been surfing for 40+ years, windsurfed for 20 years, and kitesurfed for about 14 years.  I'm "semi" fit (depending on how much time I get to spend on the water).  We get a lot of smaller waves here in San Diego so am thinking about getting into SUP mostly for those small wave days.  I have a bunch of friends who SUP and they all say that going bigger is better to start.  I demo'd a couple boards last weekend, a JP Australia Wide Body 10'9" x 32" x 180 Liters and a Starboard (can't remember the model) that was about 160 Liters.  I was able to stand on the JP Wide Body but wasn't really comfortable.  Never got off my knees with the Starboard.  I"m thinking a board that is 200+/- Liters might be the go for me.  I'd really like to try a Starboard Whopper Extra or similar (like the JP Australia Wide Body 10'2" x 35", but haven't found anyone in San Diego that has them.  I'm reluctant to put down that kind of dough without giving the board a try first.  Suggestions?

Oh, one more thing.  I live on a boat, so space is a bit tight.  I already have my 8'9" surfboard and my wife's 10' SUP board on the rail, so I'd really like to keep the length of the board under 11'.  I'd even consider a surf oriented inflatable SUP if such a thing really exists.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:08:17 PM by dabigkahuna »

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Big guy getting started in San Diego...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:31:31 PM »
At first they all seem wobbly.  At your weight you could start at 160 to 180 liters for surf sup and probably settle around 150 if you don't loose weight having fun SUP surfing.  Time on the water will make all the difference to feeling more secure and comfortable.  There are 9 foot surf sups that will float you fine once you get past the learning stage.  A 10 x 34 stable surf sup will be a blast for about your first year then you will want to change that up for something sportier.  I weigh more than you and like my 8'8" surf sup.  I am super comfortable on my 9'3" .  Started on a 10 x 34 and it was a blast to learn on and I caught tons of waves.

What you find is the more time on the water with a good board the easier it becomes.  Then you start to look for what floats you minimally and surfs the best.

Good luck on your search.  Demoing is fun and trying other SUPers boards are too.  I have bought a few boards with out demoing and got real lucky - loved them. 

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:55:50 PM »
Hey Kahuna three words for you. 9'10" Fanatic Allwave. You will love this board. It may be slightly challenging initially but I doubt it. Paddle it a bunch in the marina where you live then venture into the surf. You will love how it surfs. Especially with your 40 years of experience. And it is a board that you won't outgrow. You may go smaller in the future but this will be great for the bumpy, windy days. That's what I use my 9'6" Allwave for. I use a 9'0" when it's clean. I weigh 235-250 depending on the season :)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »
First question.  in the 40 years of surfing; longboard or shortboard?

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »
First question.  in the 40 years of surfing; longboard or shortboard?

Surfed shortboards during the 70's and 80's then migrated to longboards in the 90's.  Last real long board was an NSP 11' super ;wide and thick board.  I'm currently riding a Joe Blair 8'10" x 26" quad.  Works fine in most conditions but would enjoy something bigger for those sub 3' days.

Hope to demo a Starboard Whopper tomorrow.  I had Fanatic windsurfers and loved them.  Haven't found a Fanatic dealer in San Diego yet.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:16:01 PM by dabigkahuna »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 05:59:10 PM »
Joe Blair would be a good guy to talk to. I suspect he'd be putting you on something in the 9' range, but 32 wide. I have a 9' X 32 Bill Foote that's just magic. Or go all nutty and get a L41 8'8". But really, talk to Joe, he's one of the first shapers that started putting big guys on short wide boards. That's what you want.

I'm 6'2",  245 and 67. My big board is a 9'10" X 30" Bill Foote, which is great on smaller days, but the 9'0" X 32 is just fine, and it's a magic carpet on anything over head high.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 06:28:22 PM »
We're close in a lot of ways, 55, 6-4, 270 but I don't have your surf background. I was going to say talk to Joe before you even said you had one of his boards already. Lot's of good board choices available for big guys these days. I'd second some of the other sentiment here. With your experience go sub 10' and 32"+, the shorter you go the more +. My go to boards are 9-0 x 34 and 8-4 x 33

I'm surprised to hear you say that 9-10 Foote was 30" bro, crazy stable at 30" and it also surfed a lot shorter than 9-10. I really liked that one.... 8)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 07:12:56 PM »
Search this forum about the Allwave. Tons of excellent reviews and lots about these boards here. The 9'10" x 33" is 191 liters, has a flat deck, great volume distribution etc etc. There is a Fanatic dealer in HB named Carl Cambilargiu. Carl@stokedsup.com 562-818-1412. Most stoners have ordered their Allwaves through Jim Karabasz at extremewindsurfing.com. I've ordered three from him for myself and friends. The Blair boards have domed decks and I have found them less stable than the Allwave. Don't get me wrong, I am all about custom boards just like the geezers who have posted to your thread. I honestly feel that this is exactly the board you are looking for. Very durable and very reasonably priced too.

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »
Welcome dabigKahuna... most excellent name ;D ;D

I was 285 when I made the switch from longboard to SUP. I had 48 years experience in surf.
I was VERY glad that I started out on a big wide SUP. I learned much faster, and was happy to surf a bigger board, because I enjoy longboard surfing.

Most will say short, short, short. There will be plenty of time to go short if you chose, but there is nothing wrong with keeping your big first SUP as a small wave and flat-water cruiser.

I say, get a big enough board to feel comfortable on, and start having fun the first week.

The Whopper extra, 9'10 Allwave, 10' Naish Mana all have enough float and stability (all 33" wide minimum) to ease the transition... try them all, They all surf very well.
Give your self a week for total humiliation, frustration and pain.... followed by rapid progress.... enjoy your new life as a SUP'r ;D ;D ;D
If you can afford new... I say get the latest models, because the improvements are worth the extra $$$ over used.

and, by the way.... I also got my first SUP for small days only..... never surfed a regular board again ;)

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 08:14:09 PM »
Hey Kahuna three words for you. 9'10" Fanatic Allwave. You will love this board. It may be slightly challenging initially but I doubt it. Paddle it a bunch in the marina where you live then venture into the surf. You will love how it surfs. Especially with your 40 years of experience. And it is a board that you won't outgrow. You may go smaller in the future but this will be great for the bumpy, windy days. That's what I use my 9'6" Allwave for. I use a 9'0" when it's clean. I weigh 235-250 depending on the season :)

I'll second this recommendation. I am the same size as you and SUP in San Diego.  I started with a 11'6" Amundson which was fine for flat water but was a handful in the surf. Bought a Fanatic 9'10" AllWave from JimK and it has become my all around favorite SUP board...it's just a ton of fun in the surf here, and still very stable for my 260 lb frame. PM me if you want to give mine a spin.  I noticed there's a used one for sale just a little North of here, check http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/4416804021.html 

MAX

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 08:34:21 PM »
I was 285 when I made the switch from longboard to SUP. I had 48 years experience in surf.
I was VERY glad that I started out on a big wide SUP. I learned much faster, and was happy to surf a bigger board, because I enjoy longboard surfing.

I think that's the direction I'm leaning.  I want to make the learning process as painless as possible.

I'm going to try and demo a Whopper on Friday and may have found a used Whopper Extra that I hope to demo on Saturday.  I've read lots of good press on the Whopper and not so much about the Extra so I'll be interested to see how much difference that 2" and 20 Liters makes.

That Fanatic All Wave is a beauty.  I've got a soft spot for swallow tail boards, always have.  That might have to be my second board once I've got this balance thing wired.

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 04:36:29 AM »
The Whopper is only 168 liters and 4.1" thick... that may be iffy for you at first.
The 9'10 Allwave is 191 liters and will have much more stability than the regular Whopper.

The Whopper Extra is 208 liters and at 36" wide (5" thick) will be the most stable.... but I have never ridden one, so I can't speak to their performance

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »
It's funny how quickly shortish board have become long. I surfed my 10'4" X 30" Foote a few weeks ago and it felt so unresponsive I took it back to the car and got my 9'0". I like doing long, swoopy longboard turns, but I love adding a little hack-slash to the repertoire. You can choose to turn long and smooth with a shorter board (9' ain't 7') but you're confined to that with a longer board.

To each his own. I would have been making the same argument as Creek a few months ago. But Mr. Foote showed me the light. I believe in the powah of shorter! Ah believe....
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 09:57:40 AM »
This is Ralph from Sup-position here in Huntington Beach.
We are the Fanatic Dealer here in HB.

Carl lives in Palos Verde and runs a web based business, no physical location..

We do have quite a few boards that you can try, in the range you are looking for.

If you want to set up a demo give me a call or email...
We carry mostly premium brands...

Ralph
Sup-position
Huntington Beach, California, USA
(714) 899-3020

sup.position.com@gmail.com

www.Sup-position.com

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 08:12:19 PM »
I gave a Whopper a quick demo this afternoon.  Not ideal conditions nor did I ride it for very long, but my immediate impression was that it wasn't any more stable than the JP Australia Wide Body I demoed earlier this week.  It seemed that the extra 2" in width made up for the loss of 10+ Liters of flotation.

Hope to demo a Whopper Extra some time soon and will also give Joe Blair a call.  Saw one of his new model SUP's at the beach today and, although it was a bit heavier, it sure looked bullet proof.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal