Author Topic: Another Newb Big Guy Question  (Read 9380 times)

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Another Newb Big Guy Question
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 12:21:31 PM »
Inflatables are about 30 lbs..  Plastic boards are about 60lbs.  Plus, if you ever wanted to drive an hour or two to paddle somewhere else for a day, the inflatable would be so much easier to transport.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 03:17:55 PM »
I've written about the Imagine Surfer before, which I have. It's slow and heavy, but a great fun board.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »
I have a plastic whitewater board. It stands abuse very well, which is a good thing because it's sitting out in the rain and snow and is likely to stay right where it is forever. Sooooo heavy. I just won't use it.

Inflatables make a lot of sense too from a storage and transportation sense, but they may also decrease your enjoyment of the sport. If you deflate them they require lots of pumping to get ready. If you keep them inflated you have a thick, somewhat compromised board that doesn't work quite as well as the cheapest hard board.

I'd say go for a long, wide softop and have at it. I think the Costco wavestorms are a bit too small for you, but I could be wrong.

Cheap is fine, probably preferable in many ways. If you get hooked that weight may peel off pretty quickly. I was 260 when I started SUP. I'm 245 with a hell of a lot more muscle now and I eat and drink way too much. If you're well and truly hooked you'll be looking for something different pretty soon, and that makes the clunky board seem like a poor investment--but that's only when you're looking back. You have to get there first. That means getting something that won't break the bank, that you can get right up on, and use a lot.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bestwesturn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 12:20:10 PM »
I have a plastic whitewater board. It stands abuse very well, which is a good thing because it's sitting out in the rain and snow and is likely to stay right where it is forever. Sooooo heavy. I just won't use it.

Inflatables make a lot of sense too from a storage and transportation sense, but they may also decrease your enjoyment of the sport. If you deflate them they require lots of pumping to get ready. If you keep them inflated you have a thick, somewhat compromised board that doesn't work quite as well as the cheapest hard board.

I'd say go for a long, wide softop and have at it. I think the Costco wavestorms are a bit too small for you, but I could be wrong.

Cheap is fine, probably preferable in many ways. If you get hooked that weight may peel off pretty quickly. I was 260 when I started SUP. I'm 245 with a hell of a lot more muscle now and I eat and drink way too much. If you're well and truly hooked you'll be looking for something different pretty soon, and that makes the clunky board seem like a poor investment--but that's only when you're looking back. You have to get there first. That means getting something that won't break the bank, that you can get right up on, and use a lot.

Thanks Pono!

I do realize its going to be heavy. Fortunately the place I will be launching from most, if not always, is literally right next to my place. I kind of like the thought of getting the plastic board to start, so when/if I upgrade I can convince a friend to join me and let them use it and not have to worry about it. I think my budget I'm going to have sacrifice something unfortunately, whether its going with a heavy board, or get a board that isn't quite good for my weight. I realize that. I feel good about it! Pretty sure the Imagine Surfer is the one for my initial board. Plus i saw I can pick one up on Amazon for $491 w/free shipping. Spend an extra $100ish for a decent paddle and I'll be ready for the season!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 06:03:16 AM »
OK,

I kinda stayed out of this one but I have to say 2 things

Plastic boards at your (my ) Size are overly flexible (I won't address weight as that has been done) making them feel tippy. We have the imagine here in our rental fleet and my dock boys call them "Da Krakin's (named after Davie Jone's mythical sea monster pet) It is funny to hear them yell out "RELEASE THE KRAKIN!"

Inflatables would be a better choice but quality and cost come into play But are a better option than molded plastic

I would encourage you to look for used but in TN not alot around (I know I've shipped a bunch of equipment to that area)

I wish I had an amazing solution here...
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

supthecreek

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 07:38:06 AM »
Plenty of affordable solutions for you.

I was 5'11   285lbs when I started... so I understand your needs

Here is a board that would float you and be pretty stable right off the bat on flat water.

11'4 x 32  205 liters  $795 including a paddle.... new! Bic Dura tech 11'4

Long enough to tour easily

pretty heavy... but who cares... your not surfing it.

fairly indestructible I think.... most BIC  products are

just throw it on the patio and forget it... no bag needed

This is a link where you can find out about them
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/spo/4387037595.html

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 07:58:13 AM »
Never thought I'd ever say this but...

"You might want to consider a Tower inflatable"...   :P ::) :o

bestwest, SUPcheat mentioned the Red mega....  Red is a nice product but if your budget is really tight (under $1000), then a "direct-to-consumer" inflatable might be your best bet.  Tower's is cheap and several posters on here have commented that it's price/performance ain't bad.

I'd counter schlepthecreek's suggestion of the 11' Bic.  That thing is going to make a huge outdoor paperweight if you upgrade in the future to a nicer hard board.  At least w/ a cheap inflatable you can deflate it during the winter and keep it stored on-hand for friends/guests, etc.  Seems your equipment expectiation at this point is simply "get out and have fun".  An inflatable is hard to beat in that department.  And as mentioned, you're not going to crack any ribs falling off or hitting the deck.

Good luck w/ your choice, and try to save enough money to get a half-way decent paddle!  ;)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 08:24:50 AM »
I've heard pretty good reviews on Greco Surf's low-end surfboards...Todd Greco really stands behind his products.
http://www.grecosurf.com/

Greco's 11' Ark Model (31.5" width) looks to be the right size/volume for a big guy....$699 includes an adjustable paddle.  I would definitely select this option before considering a costco wavestorm.

User Reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Stand-Paddle-Board-Surfboard-Carbon/dp/B0079CV52Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1397920648&sr=1-4

Free shipping if ordered through Greco's website.

MAX

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:34:02 AM by maxsonic »

supthecreek

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 09:32:39 AM »
boy spooky....you must have a LOT of paper :o

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »
I think Tower's inflatable design looks right. The super-thick design should be much more rigid than a similar thin inflatable. If wind is not a big problem it should be a fine choice.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bestwesturn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »
I've been doing a lot of reading this weekend. Based on a lot of people here the Tower isup is like padding on an air mattress. They say its not rigid, wobbly. True it would be much easier to transport and store. I still haven't found anything thats completely steered me away from the Imagine Surfer other than its heavy. I've checked the local places and no one has either of these boards for testing which stinks! Really wish I could just stand on one first. Guess us bigger guys have a bit more to consider when purchasing.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 05:20:17 AM »
Okay, I'll chime in. I think the Imagine Surfer is a very underrated board. Most people on StandupZone focus on the higher end of SUPing, which the Imagine Surfer definitely is not in. That said, it's great board. Mine is probably my favorite board . It's big, slow, heavy, and uncool-looking, but it's also indestructible, easy to paddle, versatile, and fun as hell.

I've done seven-mile paddles on my board. Yeah, it was slow, but it was also nice. The Hudson where I live is a fjord, with cliffs coming down to the river's edge. That means lots and lots of rocks. My Imagine Surfer is the only board I can paddle there without getting paranoid about what I'm touching.

It's also a great family board. I've paddled with two kids on board. My family kids use it as a diving platform. The soft plastic means you can fall on it without the person or board getting hurt. You also don't have to worry about paddle strikes either.

The little bungee in the front is nice for a water bottle or camera. I also appreciate that You can take the fin off very easily. You don't have to screw that removable fin in unless you plan on hitting stuff. When you get better and want to give your friends lessons, it's an excellent beginner board.

I'm not promoting my blog here (it's in my signature), but if you go to it and search for "Big Red", you'll see how much fun that board is. I have faster boards, but I'll never get rid of my Imagine Surfer.

Ichabod Spoonbill, The Peekskill Paddler.

www.peekskillpaddler.blogspot.com
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 07:14:35 AM »
My wife and I each have a Liquid Logic Versaboard. It's a rotomolded SUP/Kayak and we love it. We kayak paddle into the wind then SUP paddle with the wind. I'm in my mid 60's and we have paddled 9 miles out and of course 9miles back. We put inflatable SUP's in back bungees on the Versaboard and paddle out to islands,beach it,inflate boards and SUP around the islands or on the side wind is blocked off.
 I have had 5 hard boards since 2007(1 carbon),I currenly have 3 hardboards,2inflatables with 1 more ordered from Blue Planet,and the 2 Versaboards. Ilike a variety of boards,keeps my interest up and they all have their place.   My Versaboard AIN'T for sale.  It costs $899 but you can get the Imagine for less.I suspect if you get either a GOOD rotomold or inflatable it will be something you will keep and find a use for.  They make a good platform to set up for fishing also.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:16:59 AM by HanaSurf »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal