Author Topic: Another Newb Big Guy Question  (Read 9382 times)

bestwesturn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Another Newb Big Guy Question
« on: April 17, 2014, 07:46:15 AM »
Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster.

First off, I am 5'10" 280lbs. I know there are lots of posts about larger fellas such as myself. But I wanted to ask one as well. I am new to SUP. I got to go 4 or 5 times last year (I live in Nashville, TN so we have seasonal weather). I had a blast, but the shops I went to didn't have boards quite suited for my size, close, but I was still super wobbly and struggled more often than felt comfortable. I'd love to get my own board but I have a couple speed bumps standing in my way.

1. I am a larger guy so I need a stable board that can hold me.
2. I am on a budget, probably can't spend more than $600-$800
3. I live in a small apt. so the only real place I have to store the board is on my outside patio area. So I hate to spend money on an expensive high end board (granted I could) and it have to sit outside exposed to the elements.

I am considering the kayak type material boards. Would these be a good option given my restrictions? I am looking at the Yolo Yak, Hovie Scout, and Imagine Surf Surfer. I was leaning towards the Yolo Yak, but recently have been leaning more towards the Imagine Surf Surfer because I can get it locally at REI or Dick's Sporting goods (not the ideal SUP shopping grounds I know!) but its local and I would save the $100ish on shipping. I know for larger guys I need a longer board, but the Surfer is quite short, but shows to have high volume which is also something I need. So I am concerned if it would be a good option because its a shorter board.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another Newb Big Guy Question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »
Welcome to the zone and to SUP.  A lot of what you are asking will depend on what you want to do.  Shorter boards will be better for surfing, longer boards better for distance/touring.  With space being an issue in your case, an inflatable might be your best option.  An inflatable would have no problem floating you.  I think Tower makes an inflatable in your price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »
Here's some info for you to use. Your weight and associated weight of paddle and gear is the equivalent of about 130L of water so you'll be looking for something 1.3 to 1.8 times that in volume to float you comfortably (170 to 230L). My advice as a 250# bubba on a board is that width is your new best friend.  My beginner sup longtime surfer brother at 260# rides a board that is 176L (10-3 by 33") with reasonable ease in the surf, and was pretty stable on a 10' by 34" wide, 185L board. There are big guys in this forum that routinely surf much smaller, but for starting out, you'll be most stable on something 10' by 33"+ and 180L.  Aim for an all purpose, durable board, and don't worry too much about the weight of it.

Stoneaxe, Jim K, and I are among the larger riders with frequent contributions.  I just surf sup so my advice has limited value. Stoneaxe does quite a bit more and Jim K runs his own shop.  Search their posts, send them a personal message, and review all the free research this site is so blessed with.  You coming to this forum may be the most beneficial move you'll ever make on a board... virtual or otherwise.

Now if you're lucky, someone here will have some good suggestions on a specific board for your first purchase.  :)

bestwesturn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »
Welcome to the zone and to SUP.  A lot of what you are asking will depend on what you want to do.  Shorter boards will be better for surfing, longer boards better for distance/touring.  With space being an issue in your case, an inflatable might be your best option.  An inflatable would have no problem floating you.  I think Tower makes an inflatable in your price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry yes I meant to make note of this. I mostly want to go out for a calm Sunday morning stroll on the water for now. Flat, calm water to just cruise. I don't anticipate, for a while anyway, trying to do anything fancy or need to go super fast. Just want to enjoy the water and being out in the sun.

bestwesturn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:42:55 AM »
Here's some info for you to use. Your weight and associated weight of paddle and gear is the equivalent of about 130L of water so you'll be looking for something 1.3 to 1.8 times that in volume to float you comfortably (170 to 230L). My advice as a 250# bubba on a board is that width is your new best friend.  My beginner sup longtime surfer brother at 260# rides a board that is 176L (10-3 by 33") with reasonable ease in the surf, and was pretty stable on a 10' by 34" wide, 185L board. There are big guys in this forum that routinely surf much smaller, but for starting out, you'll be most stable on something 10' by 33"+ and 180L.  Aim for an all purpose, durable board, and don't worry too much about the weight of it.

Stoneaxe, Jim K, and I are among the larger riders with frequent contributions.  I just surf sup so my advice has limited value. Stoneaxe does quite a bit more and Jim K runs his own shop.  Search their posts, send them a personal message, and review all the free research this site is so blessed with.  You coming to this forum may be the most beneficial move you'll ever make on a board... virtual or otherwise.

Now if you're lucky, someone here will have some good suggestions on a specific board for your first purchase.  :)

Thanks for the info. I did ride a couple boards that were rated for about 250lbs last season, sorry don't know the exact ones. But one was 11'6" board and I was wobbly and struggling the entire time. From what I've gathered from research and talking with the local shop I would need something around 300L. One of my biggest things is budget to. I know there are some great boards for larger fellas like myself, but I can't spend $2,000+ on one right now. Thats why the kayak material boards seem to be more up my alley. I want to have to work on my balance a little while on the board, i don't necessarily want a board I can run around on, but one that will keep me stable. The first 2 times I went out I didnt have a good board for me I couldn't even make it out of the bay because I just wobbled and it took every ounce of concentration I had to not fall over just paddling around in the bay with 100% calm water.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 10:18:21 AM »
At 280# you could use a board that is 10' -12' x 32"-34" and be fine with tooling around on the water.  If you were surfing you would be fine with 10 or smaller long as it had 160 liters in volume or more.  A race board would be a different story you would need a 14 footer with 30 inch wide and 270 to 340 liters in volume. But you stated you did not need a surf or a raceboard.  You could find some use boards that fit your need or a blow up and they would be less expensive.

My view on the plastic boards is that they are too heavy.  I would not want to lug a 60 lb board up to an apartment and stick it out on my balcony.  As far a leaving it out on the patio, get a bag for it and don't worry about that.

bestwesturn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »
My view on the plastic boards is that they are too heavy.  I would not want to lug a 60 lb board up to an apartment and stick it out on my balcony.  As far a leaving it out on the patio, get a bag for it and don't worry about that.

Honestly not concerned about the haul. I live a rocks throw away from where I'll put in, and fortunately my dad is fairly handy and he has agreed to help me make a cart of sorts for it for transport when I am ready. I live on the bottom floor so I can just wheel right into my patio area.

Biggest concern is $$$ and stability. But storage was worth being mentioned.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 10:37:16 AM »
11-6 and 28" wide will be a nightmare compared to 10-0 and 34" wide.  See if you can remember how wide that board was that you rode.

Here's a bit more advice from several years and 6 board purchases into it. A big floaty stable soft top is something you'll always want to have.  Once you figure out what you enjoy paddling, you can use it for everyone as a safe way to try out the sport.  Something like a Boardworks B-Ray 11-6 by 34 (at around $900 new online), Jimmy Lewis Maestro 10-3 x 35" (not sure $), surftech Blacktip 11-6x 34" ($950 online), or Riviera Select Soft Top ($850 online).  I've actually taken out the Riviera and it's usable in the surf.  Paddled nice and straight.  These are all staples of many rental fleets, so that may be a way to get in a demo locally.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:05:05 AM »
11-6 and 28" wide will be a nightmare compared to 10-0 and 34" wide.  See if you can remember how wide that board was that you rode.

Here's a bit more advice from several years and 6 board purchases into it. A big floaty stable soft top is something you'll always want to have.  Once you figure out what you enjoy paddling, you can use it for everyone as a safe way to try out the sport.  Something like a Boardworks B-Ray 11-6 by 34 (at around $900 new online), Jimmy Lewis Maestro 10-3 x 35" (not sure $), surftech Blacktip 11-6x 34" ($950 online), or Riviera Select Soft Top ($850 online).  I've actually taken out the Riviera and it's usable in the surf.  Paddled nice and straight.  These are all staples of many rental fleets, so that may be a way to get in a demo locally.

Very good advice SJ.

bestwesturn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 11:09:41 AM »

Excellent. Thanks. That makes me feel better about not wanting to drop $2,000 on my first board. I know theres the people that will say I'll regret it and I might, but like you said I'll have something to take a friend thats new to the sport can use once I am ready to invest $2,000. I've been doing more and more research on the Imagine Surfer and based off what I need I think this might be my first board purchase. I honestly don't want an epoxy board right out of the gate, because I know me and I know I won't give it the kind of care it needs. With the plastic boards I can be a little rougher and don't have to manage the maintenance of the board quite as much to keep it functional.
Thanks!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 11:23:36 AM »
OK, when I read this.....
3. I live in a small apt. so the only real place I have to store the board is on my outside patio area. So I hate to spend money on an expensive high end board (granted I could) and it have to sit outside exposed to the elements.
.....the first thing that popped into mind was this.....

Easy choice for me of a foam board over a moulded plastic in the surf anytime (especially if you're coming at me out of control on it  :o :) )....the price is right if you don't get a chance to use it as often as you had planned (upgrade the paddle right off the get go though), they hold up great to lots of abuse (both in the surf and in transit), great return policy if you happen to break it somehow,....and most importantly.....I surfed with a "big guy" yesterday who was having a blast on one, and I was quite surprised at how well he did on it to boot.

Best of lucky with whatever you choose as your "introductory drug".....you'll be "jonesing" for some "better stuff" before you know it.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:30:23 AM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 11:27:46 AM »
I would have to say you are probably in the market for a nice inflatable. Easy to deflate, store and transport.

I have been on the Red Paddle Mega (10'8", 36 wide, 6 inches thick) which is supposed to be rated for 300 lbs plus. It is a lot of fun for cruising and a bit of wave bashing, has helped me get ocean balance without a lot of frustration. It also is a reasonable beginning surfer, though one might not initially think it would be. I trained in the harbor on the Red Paddle Ride (10'6", 32 wide by 4 inches  me= 215 lbs, 6'1"), initially weight went from 245 to 210 as I used it, but I think that might be too small for your weight.

Also, inflatables are much easier on the knees for knee paddling, and they bounce off other people, things and yourself with minimal impact.  If you go out a lot, you will also probably find yourself losing weight as your core is exercised.

Lots of inflatable choices out there now, and the posters here are giving good advice. I would go for 6 inches thick, 34 to 36 wide and at least 10 foot long.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:32:06 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

bestwesturn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 11:29:53 AM »
OK, when I read this.....
.....the first thing that popped into mind was this.....

Easy choice for me of a foam board over a moulded plastic in the surf anytime (especially if you're coming at me out of control on it  :o :) )....the price is right if you don't get a chance to use it as often as you had planned (upgrade the paddle right off the get go though), they hold up great to lots of abuse (both in the surf and in transit), great return policy if you happen to break it somehow,....and most importantly.....I surfed with a "big guy" yesterday who was having a blast on one, and I was quite surprised at how well he did on it to boot.

Best of lucky with whatever you choose as your "introductory drug".....you'll be "jonesing" for some "better stuff" before you know it.   ;D

Ha! Nice. I agree I am sure I will be jonesing. Unfortunately, in TN we only get about half the year to do anything like this...if that. I did see I can get the Imagine Surfer for $490 on Amazon. Of course no paddle or leash.

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 11:35:47 AM »

Excellent. Thanks. That makes me feel better about not wanting to drop $2,000 on my first board. I know theres the people that will say I'll regret it and I might, but like you said I'll have something to take a friend thats new to the sport can use once I am ready to invest $2,000. I've been doing more and more research on the Imagine Surfer and based off what I need I think this might be my first board purchase. I honestly don't want an epoxy board right out of the gate, because I know me and I know I won't give it the kind of care it needs. With the plastic boards I can be a little rougher and don't have to manage the maintenance of the board quite as much to keep it functional.
Thanks!

It helps to try and think ahead about where you might go with this sport.  The advice to buy a quality board to begin with should not be overlooked.  You'll be surprised at how fast you "outgrow" a board.  You may not have the balance now, but it will come fast, and in 2 months you'll be wanting to go faster.  I out grew my first board (11.5' 220L) in less than a few months.  I'm a big dude as well (250#) and I'm very comfortable on a 9'2" 150L 31" wide board in the surf.  The plastic boards will definitely be more durable, but the weight may become off putting quickly.  I wouldn't be afraid of epoxy, it's fairly durable and easily repaired.  Another consideration is resale.  Quality brand boards will move quicker and for more money when you do decide to upgrade your quiver.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:37:53 AM by JayInSoCal »
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

bestwesturn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »

Thanks!

It helps to try and think ahead about where you might go with this sport.  The advice to buy a quality board to begin with should not be overlooked.  You'll be surprised at how fast you "outgrow" a board.  You may not have the balance now, but it will come fast, and in 2 months you'll be wanting to go faster.  I out grew my first board (11.5' 220L) in less than a few months.  I'm a big dude as well (250#) and I'm very comfortable on a 9'2" 150L 31" wide board in the surf.  The plastic boards will definitely be more durable, but the weight may become off putting quickly.  I wouldn't be afraid of epoxy, it's fairly durable and easily repaired.  Another consideration is resale.  Quality brand boards will move quicker and for more money when you do decide to upgrade your quiver.

Thanks Jay. Its also a catch 22 to wait and buy a better expensive board. If I want to get out there and improve and I don't own a board I will have to spend money to rent boards, money I could have put towards the board. But if i save that money, then I don't get to get out there and enjoy my time and improve. On the otherhand if I spend all my money on a half way board then I'm stuck with it for a while, but at least I'll be able to be on the water. I decided to buy a house and a car within a year of each other, so my funds are limited :) and if I wait to drop $1,000 on a board I won't be getting one this season thats for sure.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard