Author Topic: Helmet for beginner  (Read 3807 times)

MarbleCanyonSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Helmet for beginner
« on: April 16, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »
I'm new to SUP and I'm looking for recommendations for a good basic helmet for moving water.  I'm planning to use it on the Marble Canyon section of the Colorado River (river between Glen Canyon dam and Lees Ferry), which is considered smoothwater, so no crazy rapids or riffles, but there is some current and some volume and sections can get shallow.  I'm a female with a small-ish head, which may be something to consider too.  Thanks in advance.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Helmet for beginner
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 06:20:05 PM »
Go to a local reputable kayak/canoe store get sized correctly (even the best helmet sized wrong is useless)
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

MarbleCanyonSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:25:50 AM »
Makes sense.  Thanks.

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Hi
I have paddled that section of the Colorado and you really would be OK without a helmet.  But if you did want one I love the Gath helmets.  They fit really nice and are super comfy.  I would not choose that helmet for big white water, but like I said you really do not need one at all on that section.  I may get some stink over this, but if you felt better wearing a helmet, you could also just use one of the bicycle All Mountain helmet. The Bell Super Helmet has great ventilation and a really large visor. 

My main concern on that stretch of water would be a shallow fin, or flexi fins.  I use my ULI with 4.5" fins so no problem, but a normal SUP fin will drag in places. 

If I was taking a beginner down that stretch I would just have them get down on their knees for a few seconds while they roll through the little rapids.

Have fun and if you want to know about some other amazing Colorado/Green river trips around Moab just let me know.

Cheers, Jill

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 07:17:51 PM »
plus one for Gath...always have one on in the surf...very light and comfy

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 03:47:38 AM »
For low price and high quality, look into the WSRI helmet.  If you are bald, don't get one with vents.  Also, I prefer white because darker colors can heat up in the sun.  Products designed for the surf assume you will be swimming and getting wet a lot and may be over insulated for river paddling. 

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 07:40:09 AM »
I'm a female with a small-ish head, which may be something to consider..

No worries, I'm a male with a sloped forehead and classical neanderthal looks.    :D
But staying on topic, you can never go wrong with a classic:
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

MarbleCanyonSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »
Hi
I have paddled that section of the Colorado and you really would be OK without a helmet.  But if you did want one I love the Gath helmets.  They fit really nice and are super comfy.  I would not choose that helmet for big white water, but like I said you really do not need one at all on that section.  I may get some stink over this, but if you felt better wearing a helmet, you could also just use one of the bicycle All Mountain helmet. The Bell Super Helmet has great ventilation and a really large visor. 

My main concern on that stretch of water would be a shallow fin, or flexi fins.  I use my ULI with 4.5" fins so no problem, but a normal SUP fin will drag in places. 

If I was taking a beginner down that stretch I would just have them get down on their knees for a few seconds while they roll through the little rapids.

Have fun and if you want to know about some other amazing Colorado/Green river trips around Moab just let me know.

Cheers, Jill

I've paddled in there before in a kayak, and it was pretty chill.  I just figure that being a klutz-y noob, I should do what I can to not inflict serious damage while cresting the learning curve.  Thanks for the fin advice as well.

MarbleCanyonSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 09:22:20 PM »
I'm a female with a small-ish head, which may be something to consider..

No worries, I'm a male with a sloped forehead and classical neanderthal looks.    :D
But staying on topic, you can never go wrong with a classic:

;D

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »
I use the Sweet Strutter for whitewater. Its one of the more popular whitewater kayak/SUP helmets and offers good protection, low profile, and a baseball cap styled bill for sun protection (would not recommend helmet with bill for ocean and have read others see the bill as a safety issue). Coming from a skiing background, helmet is also a must in whitewater, but it sounds like a calmer sections, so may not need one. I would rather wear one and be safe, but I am also use to throwing myself down snow covered mtns at higher then recommended speeds.

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 09:41:28 AM »
Bern also makes some inexpensive multi-season helmets. I use one for skiing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal