Author Topic: ideas fot best hotdog/cruising/shortboard for a big guy!  (Read 3076 times)

fro425

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
ideas fot best hotdog/cruising/shortboard for a big guy!
« on: April 16, 2014, 05:47:38 AM »
hey surfer/gearheads, gimme ur  thoughts plz..
- i weigh 230lb. longtime surfer. want to continue my sup oddysey (from 11-0nsp, 10-6 psh waa, to current 9-6 psh waa that rips but feels to much like a long board now) and when our little mush/slop northeast fla gets anything over thigh high and fun, i wish i could find something that surfed more like my old 7-4 fish with roundhouses and floaty off the lips, etc. but was stable enuf to paddle welll and catch waves. oh yeah, i LOVE to get high in the pocket and cruise/trim on the top third of the board(not really noseride but trim and lite carve, then step back for true turns, lips etc.
i am wondering if i gotta give up my crossstep & nose trims (that i love and is how i roll) to get the off-the-lip reentry and intense roundhouse maneuverability i am looking for. is it one or the other? any models that combine these well? thanks alot. ::) 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: ideas fot best hotdog/cruising/shortboard for a big guy!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:41:25 AM »
Check out the discussion "Believe the hype". 

A Simmons style shortboard will give you most of the characteristics of your old 7-4 fish.  And it sounds like with your experience, that you will easily get into the sub 8' range.  At 210 I'm riding a 7-10 Infinity V2, but there are plenty of larger riders surfing much shorter boards.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:37:12 AM »
" i LOVE to get high in the pocket and cruise/trim on the top third of the board(not really noseride but trim and lite carve, then step back for true turns, lips etc.
i am wondering if i gotta give up my crossstep & nose trims (that i love and is how i roll) to get the off-the-lip reentry and intense roundhouse maneuverability i am looking for. is it one or the other? any models that combine these well?"

Yeppers...that screams "Hammer time"...;-)

http://surfingsports.com/hammer.asp

We've come up with a board that is as close to the "Holy Grail" of the ultimate one board...all around...all water wave solution as has existed to date...
Move to the front 1/3 of the board and feel the acceleration and trim...back on the tail it turns like a shortboard...and, it's not really limited to wave size...very versatile...not a niche board...I've ridden mine in over double overhead surf...

Lots of info here...
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,19674.0.html

My recommendation would be the 8'11"...but, we can easily build you a custom...we're building one for a guy that has your exact criteria in Florida right now...

We've received some great testimonials here:

http://surfingsports.com/customer_testimonials.asp
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:43:09 AM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »
fro425
give up cross stepping?.... heck no.... if it's in your blood, then you find you will do it on all manner of boards. I have an 8'11 Hobie RAW, a pointy nose little chip, with solid nose concave.... I run up there all the time. Then step back and ride off the tail. (I am 220lbs... it is 128 ltrs +- so I don't ride it in winter gear)

Mo Frietas has a sweet drop knee cutback and does some nose work on his 25" wide shorties.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »
I wrote: "My recommendation would be the 8'11"...but, we can easily build you a custom...we're building one for a guy that has your exact criteria in Florida right now..."

If you are interested, we have a client in Charleston, SC (Supdood) that has one of our 8'11" carbon production Hammers and is selling it on the Zone Classifieds right now at a killer price...FYI, we're building him a slightly bigger (9'2" x 32") carbon custom Hammer...

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?action=classifieds;sa=view;id=41

"I’ve ridden the 8’11 production Hammer enough now to know that I would like to upsize slightly.  I really like the shape, design and the way it surfs but would like a touch more stability for less than ideal days.  I’m interested in ordering a custom carbon Hammer in a 9’2” x 32” size. Attached below is the completed order form." - Mike...aka "Supdood"...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 03:13:08 PM »
I'm 6'6 and 230. My Infinity Phoenix sounds a lot like what you're after.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »
6'10ishx31"x4.7/8"x123L
Taller than most, shorter than others.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 06:40:24 PM »
Gotta love those twin keels.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 07:17:50 PM »
Yeah, Chris Hill, Larry A and Dave B, take a bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFwGgU84eOg

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal