Author Topic: Fight the power  (Read 10594 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fight the power
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 08:42:09 PM »
Surfcowboy--I like your thinking.  Then if they say it's the board, not the paddle, get a few people out there on prone boards standing up and paddling on them to really confuse things.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 04:42:46 AM »
Rules/Laws. etc. are tough for the people who have to enforce them.  If you were off loading a virtually sterile and odorless liquid on a wall in an alley at 3am in NYC is it the same crime as doing it at 10am?  They may send the nice folks who dealt with Rodney King if you back down some lowly lifeguard. 

...."They know how to do it."  Funniest line of the day...

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 05:59:11 AM »
Is there a ticket for proning while carrying a paddle? That's the one I want to see in court.

You would likely find yourself in a muni court and it would go something like this:
Judge: Were you in the restricted area?
You: Yes
Judge: Were you in possession of an SUP and a paddle at the time...

You can't say no to this because you would be facing contempt charges. And you will not get the judge into a theoretical conversation about what is an SUP. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 08:58:34 AM »
Is there a ticket for proning while carrying a paddle? That's the one I want to see in court.

You would likely find yourself in a muni court and it would go something like this:

You can't say no to this because you would be facing contempt charges. And you will not get the judge into a theoretical conversation about what is an SUP.
Busted for possession....

I don't know for sure that they could get you merely for possessing the gear, but I do know they can pull you from the water if you begin to actually paddle, because of the "three strokes and you're out" law.   

That actually happened to a friend of mine who is now in jail, because when they frisked him after pulling him out for paddling, they found some torn-off mattress tags in his pocket.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 09:52:44 AM »
The law states that SUP can not be discriminated against. This is more of a lifeguard issue and I see it as them being pressured by certain individuals at certain breaks to restrict SUP. I really don't see how any of this would hold up in court. Unless the lifeguard physically sees a SUPer being anymore of a danger than a beginning proner on a longboard I just don't see how any of this is actually enforceable

"The HPWA took the initiative to inform the Coast Guard of the problem and was successful in gaining this critical clarification. Now, paddle surfing cannot be banned or regulated in any way different from other kinds of surfing, and equal access must be provided.

Fry continues ”We are now contacting the various state and local agencies who currently regulate paddle surfing to inform them of the need to eliminate any and all bans or restrictions on paddle surfing in designated surfing areas.” Fry explains further “The surfing community must self-regulate SUP’s in the same manner as is done between short and long board surfers. Each and every wave is a public resource that has to be reasonably shared by all surfers regardless of how long their board is or whether they use a paddle

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:07:09 AM by supsurf-tw »
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 12:54:09 PM »

I don't know for sure that they could get you merely for possessing the gear,

Never said that PDX, but if changing my statements fit your jokes better...

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »
I'm just going to leave this here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 01:20:34 PM »

I don't know for sure that they could get you merely for possessing the gear,

Never said that PDX, but if changing my statements fit your jokes better...
Well, maybe not.  But you did enter into the zone, and you were in possession of the words to say it at the time... ;D

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 04:51:01 PM »
  Maybe it's just the deck pad that's illegal.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 04:52:15 PM »
Guilty as charged PDX ;D

Very cool CS...that helps to blur the lines of what defines a stand up paddle board...
But more importantly, that kid rips!

No, SW, the deck pad makes it all legit!

supthecreek

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 06:23:45 PM »
CSweep... ok.... she's allowed... but nobody else!!!! ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 06:39:31 PM »
Awesome!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal