Author Topic: Google Goggles  (Read 3051 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Google Goggles
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »
Has anyone else noticed how much Google sucks lately? It's almost worthless for me. I may actually have to become a binger, or something. I can't find things I KNOW are there.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Google Goggles
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
Has anyone else noticed how much Google sucks lately? It's almost worthless for me. I may actually have to become a binger, or something. I can't find things I KNOW are there.

For a moment there I thought you were talking about Google Glass

I get the feeling like something changed somewhere in the backbone of the web. I don't remember when I first noticed it, but search results from all of the major engines—Google, Bing, Yahoo—have been less useful than usual. It's like someone tweaked an algorithm that they all share for the worst.

Give a try to DuckDuckGo.com or Mahalo.com, you might get better results.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »
I've been a big user of the Google products...used to have an iGoogle home page until they got rid of iGoogle...now I use a knockoff. The changes they made to maps really suck but Tom pointed out that the classic version is still available (for now). Search results simply suck. Used to be you could find what you want in the 1st page...now...not neccesarily.

All the changes seem to be focused around monetizing it all...I guess Larry and Sergie need another private jet or three.

End result....I'm looking for alternatives and I'm beginning to seriously hate Google. I used to think I was OK with giving up my profile info for their ad use etc...in exchange for cool and useful tools. Now they can bite me.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 12:46:32 PM »
And I thought it was my internet newbieness. Things that are there are not there - don't care for the whack-
mole business model. Had to join Google wallet to buy fins, they do NOT know how to do that either! Bing, Yahoo seem to get better and more current (post 2010) results. Get your Google glasses today boys and girls. No no Nokia maps work okay.  >:(
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »
YouTube used to be good once also.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 01:10:44 PM »
I have to keep a hard line phone for business reasons which opens me up to robo-calls.
I get a robo-call from Google almost everyday asking me to update my business info.
I have never listed my business with Google and I don't have a web page, never have, but I do have a gmail box, but still, WTF Google!  Leave me alone!!!
I always hang up.
I think they are fishing for more info on everybody, I don't trust them.

And what's up with that big ass barge(s) that they are building?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:14:10 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:19:23 AM »
From a NYT article on drones and corporate acquisition of them:

My friend Jim Gleick, the author of “The Information” who is working on a book about time travel, is as leery as I am about the company whose unofficial motto is “Don’t Be Evil.”

“We’ve all learned that the nicest people with the best intentions are capable of bringing evil into the world,” he said. “No matter how sincere and idealistic they are, they are concentrating an enormous amount of power in our informational universe in a very small number of hands. A single, giant company responsible only to its managers can’t claim to have the world’s interests at heart. Ultimately, what Google does is for Google.”

The full article is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/16/opinion/game-of-drones.html?emc=edit_th_20140416&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=63253187&_r=0

I love how new technology and changes in the inefficient way that things have been done before are inevitably "dystopian".
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »
Google motto 2004: Don't be evil
Google motto 2010: Evil is tricky to define
Google motto 2013: We make military robots

Sums it up nicely IMHO.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »
Pono, your comments have been logged... and are now part of your permanent file in the bowels of Google HQ.    ???
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal