Author Topic: 6 Annoying things about SUP  (Read 17552 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Annoying things about SUP
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2014, 03:40:02 AM »
Board shorts over your wetsuit is like a comb-over, you're only fooling yourself...

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2014, 04:04:01 AM »
I didn't like that article either. If I were to list the six things that are annoying about SUP, they would be:

1) Shlepping a huge board around
2) That wet smell in my car which won't go away.
3) Making sure your board doesn't touch anything.
4) Having to load and unload my car. Or I just drive with my stuff in the car and have the paddle rubbing against my elbow when I drive.
5) Board bags that don't fit well, flap in the breeze, have zippers that wear out, etc.
6) That calculus you make when the water is 40ºF and the air is 65ºF. Do I wear my light wetsuit an risk a serious freeze or my heavy wetsuit and roast my ass?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2014, 05:37:15 AM »
I'll take Kooksville over giant cameltoe any day.

PonoBill, Nothing wrong with a big Camel Toe, I think what you were refering to was a moose knuckle.
That's what I thought too. I saw cameltoe mentioned...I thought "naw, not cameltoe, cameltoe can be hot, what would that be called?"
Yeah, moose knuckle. Moose knuckle is nothing I want to see but it can be funny. Yes, board shorts over tights or a wet suit is more than fine if for nothing else there are things you just don't want to see and can't undo seeing. If you are like this guy you could even go with a speedo over your tights or wetsuit to stand out.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:39:15 AM by lucabrasi »

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2014, 06:18:35 AM »
1) Shlepping a huge board around
3) Making sure your board doesn't touch anything.
5) Board bags that don't fit well, flap in the breeze, have zippers that wear out, etc.

Ichs, 1,3,5 can be checked off the list as non-issues if you have yourself a nice, quality 'flatable.

'Cheat, I thought your link was in a bad taste... until I started reading the captions/rating system.  That's when the coffee started shooting out my nose  ;D.

Don't worry Creekster... it seems most folks here are too busy admiring the footwork in your GoPro vids to even notice your squirrel-sized, err, massive package  ;)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2014, 06:33:23 AM »
I saw a guy out the other day at Kanaha that was wearing some kind of skin tight thin neoprene number with obviously nothing under it. It was scary as hell. His ass was bigger than mine and it was basically painted black. I can't unsee that. A pear of boardshorts would have spared me a lot of distress. I'll take Kooksville over giant cameltoe any day.

English Muffin: all the nooks and crannies.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2014, 10:31:42 AM »
That is what makes this site so funny starts out talking about 6 annoying things after totally destroying the( rightfully so) the author . it ends up on cameltoes and moose knuckle so that means it must be time to check out hot chicks on sup
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2014, 11:09:37 AM »
I love it when threads go in a completely different direction. I've never understood folks getting upset that their posts got hijacked. Seems like natural conversation to me. If you want post to hold to an agenda you're probably in the wrong place....and it's always a good time to check out the hot chicks thread... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2014, 11:26:49 AM »
It's like any other conversation anywhere in the world.  At some point someone brings it back to where it started, or maybe not. 

Never really noticed the speed skaters before this thread.  Now I feel sorry for them.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2014, 06:58:57 AM »
85*F Santa Ana winter day in SoCal, I'm in shorts, surrounded by other dudes on Sups wrapped up head-to-toe in full suits and booties.  One guy even had a neoprene sweater wrapped around his waist incase it got windy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2014, 08:19:17 AM »
#6F.  Work
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2014, 09:18:32 AM »
85*F Santa Ana winter day in SoCal, I'm in shorts, surrounded by other dudes on Sups wrapped up head-to-toe in full suits and booties.  One guy even had a neoprene sweater wrapped around his waist incase it got windy.

CS,
Every time we come down from Santa Cruz to San Elijo, I am amazed at how wrapped up some surfers and paddlers are down there.  Especially the paddlers.  We really don;t spend much time in the water.   Over the past 3 weeks up here, we have been out with 1.5 ml tops, and boardshorts, or 3/2's, depending on air temp.  with boardshorts, the first dip is always bit of a wake up, but after that its all good.  See you two weeks!!
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »

CS,
Every time we come down from Santa Cruz to San Elijo, I am amazed at how wrapped up some surfers and paddlers are down there.  Especially the paddlers.  We really don;t spend much time in the water.   Over the past 3 weeks up here, we have been out with 1.5 ml tops, and boardshorts, or 3/2's, depending on air temp.  with boardshorts, the first dip is always bit of a wake up, but after that its all good.  See you two weeks!!

So true. My GF bought a house in Imperial Beach last year. I've been going down there from Santa Cruz off and on and noticed people in San Diego were wearing full suits, hoods and booties this winter when the water temp was in the 60's. Funny when your are trunkin' it and paddle by 'em.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
Oh for water temps in the 60's...we'll have to wait a couple more months for that. I'd guess they wouldn't go out if ice was forming on board and paddle?.... :). I suppose its all in what you get used to. Give me a couple years on Maui and the only place I'd ever want to see ice again was in my Mai Tai.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:37:55 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2014, 04:49:09 PM »
Oh for water temps in the 60's...we'll have to wait a couple more months for that. I'd guess they wouldn't go out if ice was forming on board and paddle?.... :). I suppose its all in what you get used to. Give me a couple years on Maui and the only place I'd ever want to see ice again was in my Mai Tai.

Every year we go to Maui in Nov/Dec and after coming home, it takes my wife  a couple of months before, she will agree to go paddle out in Santa Cruz mid-winter.  She will go with me, but hangs on the cliff and reads.  Although, one day in February, it was head high and perfect glass midweek with little crowd.  She went out, but then complained about how cold it was.  She caught 10 waves in about 45 minutes and then went in.

So I guess I can add fickle wives to the 6 most annoying things. (That's not just for sup)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
 ;D
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal