Author Topic: 6 Annoying things about SUP  (Read 17610 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 6 Annoying things about SUP
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:03:39 PM »
I can identify. 
Do I remain true to my inner kook, or do I become a Tower team rider???   ??? ??? :o ;D
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:20:06 PM »
I liked this bit in reason 6 where it said sup is in its infancy..."it’s probably a good idea for the industry to learn to treat their current customers like they are going to be future people of influence"

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 05:54:48 AM »
Team Rider:  Needs Facebook page, gets stickers for free.
Pro Rider: Same as Team Rider but Facebook page is optional.

"A SUP is not a Paddleboard": True.  A Paddleboard is the thing hanging on the wall of Surftime Willy's Pub at the airport, just below the stuffed Marlin.

"Its the Engine":  You can't buy the podium but you sure can help your esteem.

"Go on every wave": Author should not have put that in ink.  We are a structured group and that sounded like an order.

"Its going to be huge": Author forgot that we have the aging process in our corner.  As long as there are surfers to get older, SUP will grow.  We are like a big bucket ready to catch the participants falling out from all of the other surf sports.  Bad backs, bum hips, missing cartilage...come on down.  We don't need his approval...all we need is gravity.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:36:03 AM by Admin »

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 07:25:43 AM »

"Its going to be huge": Author forgot that we have the aging process in our corner.  As long as there are surfers to get older, SUP will grow.  We are like big bucket ready to catch the participants falling out from all of the other surf sports.  Bad backs, bum hips, missing cartilage...come on down.  We don't need his approval...all we need is gravity.

Yea daddy, classic.  Loving it!

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 07:56:07 AM »
I am new to forum and have fallen deeply in love with this site, THANKS for the distraction!!!

In the ski industry (I live in a ski town) a lot of the pros will brand with a ski company and produce a "signature model," just like in most sport brands. Not sure if this is same in SUP (but I bet it is), the ski the athletes actually ski on are not the same as the ones sold in the store with their names plastered all over them. They can be stiffer, stronger, longer, and wider depending on the athlete, and the company can not sell those skis to general public. Thus they make them fit into there client mold, and slap on the same top sheet design as the pro's ski. Does this same thing happen in the SUP industry? Its always frustrated me because I prefer the bigger, stiffer ski, and for me to attain this ski, I either have to get one custom built ($2500-ish), or found an older ski online or try to find a rep with a pair.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »
I am new to forum and have fallen deeply in love with this site, THANKS for the distraction!!!

In the ski industry (I live in a ski town) a lot of the pros will brand with a ski company and produce a "signature model," just like in most sport brands. Not sure if this is same in SUP (but I bet it is), the ski the athletes actually ski on are not the same as the ones sold in the store with their names plastered all over them. They can be stiffer, stronger, longer, and wider depending on the athlete, and the company can not sell those skis to general public. Thus they make them fit into there client mold, and slap on the same top sheet design as the pro's ski. Does this same thing happen in the SUP industry? Its always frustrated me because I prefer the bigger, stiffer ski, and for me to attain this ski, I either have to get one custom built ($2500-ish), or found an older ski online or try to find a rep with a pair.

Oh, yes - the Pro Model.  We do indeed have our share of pro models in SUP.  In the vein of the author's duly noted insight that we could wear surf trunks but many of us choose to wear what is essentially road biking gear while SUPing we have also chosen to gay up our pro models.  I say this with full respect for our highly esteemed gay forum members who will likely agree that the name Zaniac is inherently gay and its very mention might be successfully used to pick up dudes at our races and events.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:18:44 AM by Admin »

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 08:23:30 AM »

Oh, yes - the Pro Model.  We do indeed have our share of pro models in SUP.  In the vein of the author's duly noted insight that we could wear surf trunks but many of us choose to wear what is essentially road biking gear while SUPing we have also chosen to gay up our pro models.  I say this with full respect for our highly esteemed gay forum members who will likely agree that the name Zaniac is inherently gay and its very mention might be successfully used to pick up dudes at our races and events.

HAHA! Amazing what a brand name with a Pro's Signature slapped on it can do for business. Makes sense, I guess, because they are making money. As I get older I am moving away from brands, and will look for clothing, gear, etc, that have no "Badge of Approval."

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »
#4 is one that I can always relate to.

I went hiking with a guy who was a "serious hiker" he cut the handle off his toothbrush, soldered his fork/spoon into a double ender, and all other methods of crazy space/weight saving ideas, including the latest/greatest of every tent, stove, sleeping bag etc. He was telling me how much lighter his pack was than mine and I was like: "What about that 30# beer gut hanging off the front of you?"

I've seen the same thing with serious road-bike guys.

I will add #7 - Getting outside in short period beach breaks. Spent an hour yesterday. The prone guys didn't make it either (some good ones eventually did). I got the closest and at least was able to catch some middle-of-the-road waves.
Make paddleboarding great again!

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 09:11:14 AM »
I wear boardshorts biking.  So, why can't I wear biking gear when SUPing?

LeftSide

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
They can be stiffer, stronger, longer, and wider depending on the athlete, and the company can not sell those skis to general public. Thus they make them fit into there client mold, and slap on the same top sheet design as the pro's ski. Does this same thing happen in the SUP industry?

Usually yes, sometimes no.

The Zaniac is exactly the same as what Zane rides. Most other pro model boards are not.

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 10:09:15 AM »
They can be stiffer, stronger, longer, and wider depending on the athlete, and the company can not sell those skis to general public. Thus they make them fit into there client mold, and slap on the same top sheet design as the pro's ski. Does this same thing happen in the SUP industry?

Usually yes, sometimes no.

The Zaniac is exactly the same as what Zane rides. Most other pro model boards are not.

Same in the ski industry. Seth Morrison has been with K2 skis for years, and the last one I tried (few years back) with his name on it, felt like a noodle (I weigh 200lbs). Seth is a big mountain skier who is super aggressive, and its well know that the skis he skis are not the ones you can buy in store. My Salomon El Dictators are the exact same ski as the pros version, issue is Salomon discontinues them after a year or two cause no one buys them (too long, too stiff, Just the way I like a ski).

Not to toot my own horn, but I am no slouch on the mtn. Talked to a custom ski company out of Boulder, and for the ski I want, they would have to make a custom mold at $1250, plus another $1250 for ski. BUT I would get to basically own the mold. Guy thought I was nuts, till I explained to him what I wanted, then he say the light.

SUP and Ski industry is WAY different, but has similarities.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 10:24:47 AM »

There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of custom surf board makers that can make a SUP to your specifications for a price similar to what a production board can be made. I'd guess the are only a handful of custom ski makers.

Often times the pros ride a 'prototype' board that is custom and made to look like production model. The prototype deal sometimes can be a bit of a scam, with a carbon fiber board 1/2 the weight of the production model. I believe Nash makes it a point that his riders all ride off the shelf production boards, which I think is a very class move.

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 10:35:41 AM »

There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of custom surf board makers that can make a SUP to your specifications for a price similar to what a production board can be made. I'd guess the are only a handful of custom ski makers.

Often times the pros ride a 'prototype' board that is custom and made to look like production model. The prototype deal sometimes can be a bit of a scam, with a carbon fiber board 1/2 the weight of the production model. I believe Nash makes it a point that his riders all ride off the shelf production boards, which I think is a very class move.

Very true, only handful of custom ski companies. Its also a dieing sport, numbers drop every year. SUP is the complete opposite and seems to be growing faster and faster!

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 10:47:50 AM »

If that's true (did look like that at the Naish Gorge race, from appearances anyway) that's great.  Also, it's something to think about when looking at the Naish line-up, with the several very expensive, narrow boards at the high end.  I like Naish's approach much better than if they tried to avoid criticism about expensive, narrow boards by simply not making them available to the general public. 

I thought the article had a few points, but some of the writing was annoying.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal