Author Topic: Surf spot names?  (Read 12693 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Surf spot names?
« on: April 05, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »
PB's mentioning of a surf spot (the infamous upper outer outer upper Kanaha) got me thinking. Do you have any special breaks in your area. Some of the breaks in my area are: Garbage - close to where the garbage dump was in the 30's, Subs - a SUBstandard wave compared to the neighboring break called Abs - former abalone diving sight, Whimp & Gimps - a mellow wave in Baja close to a good reef wave.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surf spot names?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
PB's mentioning of a surf spot (the infamous upper outer outer upper Kanaha) got me thinking. Do you have any special breaks in your area. Some of the breaks in my area are: Garbage - close to where the garbage dump was in the 30's, Subs - a SUBstandard wave compared to the neighboring break called Abs - former abalone diving sight, Whimp & Gimps - a mellow wave in Baja close to a good reef wave.

Over the first 25+ years of Baja travel, I surfed Gimps and Whimps (that's what we call it) only a few times. Now that I stand up paddle, Gimps and Whimps is the bomb! A San O south of the border.  I even camp down there now instead of the main peak. Last time I was there, there was a bad vibe against stand ups from the "Mayor", his wife (insert "B" word here... she told me it was time to leave) and a few other "locals".
Surfed it once all by myself and there was "NO SUPS" written in the sand in front of my truck when I came in. I say "F" them and their transplanted narrow minded localism.

I like camping down around the corner by ourselves just fine.

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 07:18:18 PM »
Gimps & Whimps is the bomb the place was made for SUP also the weather is better down in the bay, The mayor is getting on in years and will eventually have to pass the torch,but he did keep things neat and tidy in that dirt bag of a camp ground.Never did try to take a sup out a main break figured it was more fun on a prone board.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »
I've SUPed the main peak twice with out much grumbling, guess I was lucky. One time the main peak was too big and hardly anyone could get out. We drove past W&G to go surf Alejandro's and it look great. I couldn't convince the crew to stop there and when we got to Alejandro's it was barely waste high. Surf rule # 1, never leave surf to find surf.

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:01:35 PM »
What makes W&G so fun for sup is when it has size sometimes their is strong current and that really puts a guy on a sup at a huge advantage.Most of the guys that paddle out are good for a couple and they just give up.I know that when you have that place at head and half all to yourself it's dam fun!

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 04:12:55 PM »
in the 80's at tamarck there was this left closer to the jetty  we called it  the spot,, Kids now a days call  it left bowls.  At terramar  north there is a spot that we call dolphin house  cause the line pint was this house that had dolphins on it.   They painted and  painted over the dolphins but we still call it dolphin house. Use to call some breaks up by mavericks various names  red white and blue for the red white and blue mailbox on the highway and hole in the wall for  a place near there that you could get to by going though a sea arch at low tide. None of these markers  still exist
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
Use to call some breaks up by mavericks various names  red white and blue for the red white and blue mailbox on the highway and hole in the wall for  a place near there that you could get to by going though a sea arch at low tide. None of these markers  still exist

It is probably good they are not there anymore.

How many remember when Sewer Peak, really was?
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 07:45:11 PM »
Actually the sewer outfall was at first peak. If you watch it for awhile, you can see that the lefts off first peak slab out on the cement cap of the old outfall. Sewer peak was called that because that's where the old pumphouse was.

Why would they ever put a sewer there in the first place is beyond me.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 08:03:56 PM »
SW,
Remember how bad it got when a high tide combined with heavy rain?

Near the pump house is where my mom would set up a chair and watch. (40 years ago)
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
That's funny Mr. Supdiscobay. My friend's mom would drive us there too, but I would have her to drop me off at 26th ave. I would then walk over to Sewer Peak because I was too embarrassed to get dropped off by his mom and her little poodle.

We had to surf together back then. I surfed the eastside from about 1973 on.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »
Some of the micro names of the areas around Santa Cruz have tended to elude me, there does not seem to be an atlas for all of them, just local usage.

I get Shark's Cove and Privates.  I think that Trees is between Privates and the Capitola area west of the Capitola Pier called Beer Can beach, but I am not sure.

I kind of like the name Potbelly Beach which is where a bunch of ritzy beach houses are down from New Brighton.  There is a Potbelly Beach club on Google Map, but maybe that is some kind of beach country club for the masters of the universe.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 08:57:17 PM »
"The Knife", anybody from San Diego know what spot that was/is?  It's known by a different name these days.
It takes a quiver to do that.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 09:04:30 PM »
Suicides, Piddlies, Pingies (or Pangies), Gnomes, Dicks, Paulinators, Rarelies, Drainpipes, Vahala, Stairways, Nudies, Hoopers and Toes Over. Those are just a few of the spot names besides the main ones in just the Pleasure Point/Hook area alone.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »
Pier One, Boneyard, Lowers, Tidy Bowls, Uppers, Outer Sprecks, Euro, Secrets, Baldwin, Tavares, Outer Tavares, Kuau, Noriegas, Mamas, Lanes, Greentrees, Middles, Pavillions, Jaws, Hanamanu, Hanamau, Lefts, Hana Bay. that's the north shore of Maui more or less, leaving out the spots I don't care to talk about and the ones that no one wants to tell me about. Lots of actual secret spots here. Whenever I look at a Naish catalog I think "where is THAT place", knowing it's Maui, and having no idea where it actually is. Robbie's got a lot of secret spots.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:37:05 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 07:59:21 AM »
Tom--South of Subs & Abs is there a break called Newbreak.  If I have the right place, until the Navy put a fence up, you could walk south on a trail.  Then cut down a gully to the beach.  Because of the tide walking down or back at waters level  wasn't always an option.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal