Author Topic: K-Pump K220...Is it worth it?  (Read 15183 times)

JUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
K-Pump K220...Is it worth it?
« on: April 05, 2014, 07:56:41 AM »
I've got a couple of inflatable SUPs...  My girlfriend has trouble getting to 15psi, so I pretty much have to pump up 2 paddle boards myself before I even get on the water. I would prefer spend that energy paddling! Just wondering if anyone has used this pump?  How well does work? Is it worth the $150 (+ $40 for the pressure gauge)?

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: K-Pump K220...Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:31:47 AM »
I would say it is not worth it.  Better to buy the ULI pump and just alter the end to work on your boards. I have been able to modify the ULI pump to work with a lot of different boards, no guarantee.

The problem with the K pump is you really need one person to hold it on the board and the other to pump, works as a top off pump but not really efficient otherwise.  What we have found is best is to have the ULI electric pump and the hand pump.  The electric pump is used to get the boards to 15 psi and then the hand pump to go to 20 psi.  I am 110 lbs and I can have both boards ready to go in about 4 mins, no sweat. 

Jill

JUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:55:57 AM »
Thanks for advice Jill...

I just found this pump online which already comes with the H3 valve that i need... I wonder how it stacks up to the ULI pump.  On the plus side it's half the price!  Anyone used this pump?

http://thekitebuddy.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=208

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:58:12 AM by JUP »

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
That pump and the gauge looks just like the one that came with my 2013 Naish. It's the best hand pump and gauge I've used. That said,I use the Bravo electric to get to 15 psi and then use an adapter with a tire valve I made and electric tire pump(12volt) to go as high as I want. Easy Peasy ;)

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 02:57:16 PM »
I think it is worth it but I only use it for travel.  I have the Old Uli handpump and a Starboard pump.  Neither get me to full pressure.  Takes longer but does the job.  Packs small too.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 03:13:18 PM »
Anyone used this pump?

http://thekitebuddy.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=208

JUP --
I believe that is the Bravo HP pump... same thing as the Red Paddle Co. HP pump (which came with my Red 9'2").  Slightly taller and narrower cyclinder than the standard pumps, it gets you to 20-25 psi w/o too much pain. 

(Still a workout but you won't have to herniate yourself. :P)  Definitely worth purchasing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:17:07 PM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »
JUP, I meant the pump jillride gave a link to was like my Naish pump that came with my NaishOne.  As Spookini says you can get to high pressure with it. I'm 63 and used it several times before going electric. Still makes a good back up or travel pump.

GingerRawrrgers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 04:47:30 PM »
Thanks for advice Jill...

I just found this pump online which already comes with the H3 valve that i need... I wonder how it stacks up to the ULI pump.  On the plus side it's half the price!  Anyone used this pump?

I've got that for my Naish One and it works great.  I couldn't get the damn thing up to higher PSI by hand either so I think it's worth the money
~*Ginger*~

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 06:49:03 PM »
Got the K20. Haven't used the K220. I really like the K20 and would recommend it. I have not used a good upright hand pump, just the one Hobie has that comes with their board, run of the mill I would say, so nothing to compare it to than that but to get to high pressure I like the K20. The $40 hit on the pressure gauge is definitely hard to take tho.
I get by with myself and no issues with the K20 as do my daughters and others. It may slide or go off the valve a time or few, pretty much only till it takes shape, but the ease of getting to high pressure along with the packability and stowability of it far offset any issues I have had with it. I never really found it an issue and I also find I can change pumping positions or stances which is nice.
The low pressure aspect of it is not as quick as an upright the but the K220 may have a bigger chamber than the K20. I got a similar pump that came with a Hobie Kayak with a giant chamber that just blasts the air in but at about 8-9 it gets to be a chore.
I also have an electric Bravo that is too slick and easy. 

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
I looked at the K220, but went with the K20 instead due to its compact size.

I'm not doing a lot of inflate/deflate, so I thought a little less efficient pump that is a great travel size was a better option. My experience with the K20 is pretty much the same as lucabrasi.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »
correction, i have the k20 too.

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 04:07:11 AM »
I have a K200 for topping off my raft or fully inflating my kid's IK.  It is the do all one pump option for small inflatables.  One of the smaller K-pumps is better for an isup for pressure management.  If the water is cold, I always need to bring the pressure back up once in the water.  Also, throughout the day, I try to bleed off air when my inflatables are sitting in the sun out of water and then top it off just before getting back out on the water.  Letting an inflatable build pressure sitting in the sun is bad news. 

JUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 03:41:15 PM »
http://www.k-pump.com/products/k-air/k-air-ii-15-psi.html

My boards max inflation is 15 PSI... I am thinking about buy this k-pump regulator (which comes with Schrader valve adapter) and investing in a small air compressor.

What you guys/gals think...will this work?

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 05:59:39 AM »
I've got a K-220 on the way for a demo, with possibility to stock them. I'll do a review once I've had a few pumps with it.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

JUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 03:22:05 PM »
Green Water,

You demo the K220 pump yet? If so, what are you thoughts about it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal