Author Topic: 60 mile week  (Read 17644 times)

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: 60 mile week
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2014, 09:12:03 PM »
I agree LaPerouse. Plus it's great to cross train. I've paddled OC-1 a few times, flat water mainly, but never got good enough to get past the numb right butt cheek. I just lean on the ama like crazy!  I'd be done for a group lesson for sure!  When and where?

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2014, 11:02:19 PM »
This weekend.  Saturday or Sunday, 7:30 at the harbor.  Weather should be fine, no swell around.  Wind later in the day.   

I'll bring a Bluefin or a V-8 for PB to paddle if he brings his outrigger.  If he can't make it - someone should grab it and bring it.  If that doesn't happen, I'll bring a Hurricane and a paddle.  The Hurricane is a nice boat, but PB's is a bit more stable and more comfy. 

Saturday or Sunday depends on a gal I try to get out on her ski.  She has a 3 year old and only gets out once a week, if that.  So we try to schedule around her.  Her husband is the Fenn rep. here on Maui.  He can send her with a demo boat for PB or anyone else that wants to try a ski. 

I'll see what the girls are up to this weekend and set a day. 

I
Support your local shaper

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 08:16:16 PM »
Sounds great. Let me know, and I'll be there.

Southbay

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 09:02:38 AM »
Sounds like fun and thanks for the invitation, Larry, but I got shot up with Platelets yesterday and I'm not supposed to paddle for two weeks. Shoulder is pretty dead right now anyway. You guys are welcome to use my Scorpius . I'd bring it by, but I know I'd be tempted to "just try" the boats and it would be nice if I gave this treatment a chance to work. It's all bagged up so any rack will work.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:12:08 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 09:29:58 AM »
Excellent, thanks for the use of the boat.  SB will love it.  He's out of town and flies in Friday evening, so one of us will pick it up, probably me.  That's an awesome boat, we will take good care if it.  I can't wait to paddle it.  Stoked! 

So, cove, what's it going to be?  Should I get another outrigger or a ski for you?  Either one will be a great time.  This is a golden opportunity to jump in an elite outrigger, no pressure, just goofing around in flat water.  You will instantly realize what they can do in waves.  Skis are the same experience.  Those short paddles allow massive torque.  The acceleration is amazing.  PB's hull is 16 inches wide x 21'-4".  19 pounds.  It accelerates like a rocket and glides real good.  Very fast boat.  Designed for big water. 

Tara has an Easter egg hunt Sunday, so it's on for Saturday at 7:30 at the harbor.

Hope you have enough toys to keep that dopamine going PB.  Resting from the ocean is torture.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:39:28 AM by LaPerouseBay »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »
I'm in!

See you down there on Saturday. I'd really like to try OC1 over doing a ski. I have my OC6 paddle which should be good for one-man I'd think. Thanks, LPB! And thanks PB for use of your boat!

I'm stoked!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 11:44:10 AM »
PB. two WEEKS!!?? He probably meant two DAYS. Sure he did.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »
Someone get the prozac ready! Two weeks.....I think Diane is going to need it.... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2014, 09:46:26 AM »
Both outriggers are lined up for SB and cove.  Should be a fun time. 

Here's the article from Dave.

http://www.davidkalama.com/really-want-to-get-better/ 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2014, 10:17:05 AM »
Anyone who's been ocean racing a long time knows the guy's and gal's with an OC background usually win the SUP races. I've been at a lot of races with Danny Ching, but what most people don't know is Danny races OC-1's more than he races SUP. Sometimes he does both and wins both back to back. With the current sub-20 year old racing crowd, it's not so much the case anymore. But as these young guys age, I think they will need to do some OC training just to stay competitive. Here is a picture of Danny at a race a few years back.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »
Stoked! Very excited to try out the OC1!

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »
Interested to see more input on this thread. I machinate on this topic all the time. Countless thread and PM exchanges with LPB over the years sbout all of this _cross paddling_. I have been struggling for years, literally, about the ski. Just looking back at some exchnages with Zoner rpmoore from 2010 about this cross disciplione. Talked to Larry many times regarding his V10 and the comparison to his start in the Sport. My ego has wanted me to just go get a V10 but those in the know alway suggest the V10 Sport since I also paddle so much OC. Sure Larry can set me straight here, but the V10 sounds like the boat for the guy thats comitted to 3-5 times a week paddling. I easily paddle that much but at least 2 of my weekly paddles are in the OC6 with my team. Then, I'm always drawn to the OC1 for training sessions in between OC6 but I'm not sure that I don't teach myself bad things on the 1 man. My transitions have gotten worse and my rotation is still not where it should be. Long story short, I'm picking up a new V10Sport tomorrow. Woohoo! Really excited about this. I'm fortunate to have a really awesome 1 man in my new Puakea Ehukai that is fast and glides like crazy. But back to that thing about enforcing bad habits. Hopeful that the ski will help me get my OC6 mojo back to where it was....and beyond. Anyway, how did your paddle experiment go?

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »
Good call on the V-10S Eric.  Oscar (and everyone else) is spot on IMO when they say stability before ability.  Rotation with balance is what good 6 man paddlers strive for.  I like to watch good female paddlers.  They really turn. 

The paddle with SB and Cove was a blast.  Those guys were flying. 

Cove was in PB's full Scorpius.  "This thing is amazing"

SB was in a very nice XS.  "is this thing for sale?"

Very fun surf session. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2014, 08:44:57 PM »
First, much thanks to PB for the use of his boat and LPB for getting Southbay and I out on the water today. We had an absolute blast and after several hours, tons of surfing and more than 8 miles of paddling, I could have kept going. So much fun! Those boats will catch anything and you have a tremendous amount of torque with the short paddle. I paddled OC6 for a year or so and liked it, great workout, fun camaraderie, but the OC1 is much more to my liking. Your inputs can be felt immediately. I'm going to have to get a boat, it's just a matter of time and money, I'm hooked. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2014, 06:18:21 PM »
It looks good on you cove... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal