Author Topic: 60 mile week  (Read 17615 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
60 mile week
« on: April 04, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »
After only a few downwind runs this year the DW season finally broke open.  While PBill's bro Stoney was here we pounded the southside.  But in last 7 days Cove, PBill and I have done 60 miles culminating with a flurry this week in very intense Maliko conditions.  Cove did over his age in miles but PBill and I were a few shy. 

The paddling part isn't that significant but the leg work and balancing is.  Today Cove rested and I can see why.  PBill and I were tuckered after our run.  Well I was tuckered and he was just beat up.  I'm resting tomorrow.

Breaking back into condition is a tough chore after a long lay-off and every year it seems like that erosion is worse.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: 60 mile week
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:02:40 PM »
It has been an amazing couple of weeks. Looking back, we started our streak around the 8th of April. Between then and now, we've paddled all but 5 days and on 6 of those, I did double runs. I'm pretty sure that almost all of these have included PB and HM, although a couple southside doubles were easy paddles with my daughter and then hammer fests with the other geezers.

Yesterday was the first time I've ever done a double Maliko and I am feeling it in my back, shoulders, arms, legs, pretty much everywhere today. Guess even my head was tired out as I woke up, looked out at the north shore and decided I didn't really care if I went today or not. That decision in spite of solid white caps. The crazy low-tide wave breaking way out off Upper Kanaha didn't make it more appealing either. There is something out there nearly a mile off-shore that causes a big gnarly outer reef wave that only breaks on the biggest sets. It may be a low tide thing but I've seen it from my house whenever a swell of any significance is present. That is the break that sneaks up on you because it only breaks on the huge waves. So, you might think you're clear and then get tagged. I know we were way out past it yesterday.

My board has been leaking water for a while now and with the forecast showing a few light days ahead, I decided to take it in to the King and have them check it over. Paddling way outside yesterday convinced me that I want total confidence in my gear. After two runs, I opened the drain plug and at least a pint came out. :o

Probably good to rest today. And tomorrow and Sunday too. I can already imagine how grumpy I'm going to be by Monday or Tuesday without a run. Unless we get a little surf time. ;D

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Seeing how this is only the 4th of April, you may have melted a few brain cells.  Smile face. 

I've been taking in about a third of a cup a day, which ain't no biggie but I have to remember to drain or it will add up.

Do not do downwinders if you have responsibilities, but stopping may cause chest pain or may cause a sudden, unsafe drop in blood pressure.
Discuss your general health status with your doctor to ensure that you are healthy enough to engage in downwinding. If you experience chest pain, nausea, or any other discomforts during paddling, seek immediate medical help.
In the rare event of an downwinder lasting more than 4 hours, seek immediate medical help to avoid long-term injury.

If you are older than age 65 (like PBill), or have serious liver or kidney problems, your doctor may start you at the shortest distance.  Your doctor may recommend a 10-mile run and may limit you to a maximum run dose of 40 miles in a 48-hour period.
In rare instances, men taking a break from downwinding reported a sudden decrease or loss of vision. If you experience sudden decrease or loss of vision, stop resting and start paddling.
Sudden decrease or loss of hearing has been rarely reported in people taking too many days off.     If you experience sudden decrease or loss of hearing, stop resting, start paddling  and never contact a doctor.

Downwinding does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:44:47 PM »
First, you're correct. A lot of brain cells not on board. I'm sure I meant March. Because it's April now. Right? Anyway,  your post had me laughing my ass off. No Smiley face needed.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 11:58:53 PM »
Thank god tomorrow looks like crap. Today was supposed to be light and it was nuts. I could hardly stand up for the mile along upper Kanaha. It was at least as crossed up as Wednesday was. First five miles were great, though the drops were super steep. I did a faceplant from punching in at the bottom of a drop--not into the next wave, straight down into the trough. I couldn't see my board when I hit the water. Lawn dart.

My shoulder is killing me. I'll probably have to sleep sitting up tonight. I pushed a little too hard at the beginning. It went numb about camp one, but came back a bit before the end. I'm looking forward to getting it worked on. I kind of need it to actually work.

Tomorrow is probably a geek fest, unless there's surf.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 02:45:03 AM »
Wow you guys that's awesome!  What a strong crew and an ideal place.  Downwind kings for sure!
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »
The crazy low-tide wave breaking way out off Upper Kanaha didn't make it more appealing either. There is something out there nearly a mile off-shore that causes a big gnarly outer reef wave that only breaks on the biggest sets. It may be a low tide thing but I've seen it from my house whenever a swell of any significance is present. That is the break that sneaks up on you because it only breaks on the huge waves. So, you might think you're clear and then get tagged. I know we were way out past it yesterday.

That would be the infamous upper outer outer upper Kanaha. And no, you were not outside of it. Everyone thinks they are until it goes off. It's really no big deal unless it breaks your leash or tears the ama off your canoe since it reforms in just a hundred yards or so. But it sure can scare the crap out of you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 10:02:02 AM »
the infamous upper outer outer upper Kanaha

Great name for a wave. We've got "outer kings bay +1" which I've seen once and "mysto's" which only a select few have see.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
PB, you did not see the chicken line we took. We were out past any possibility of getting taken out, even by the upper outer outer upper break at Kanaha.

I have never gone that far outside with you and HM. I think the official PB definition of chicken line is any line where you don't actually get tagged. Usually, it's close enough inside that you get at least a couple of wake up scares if there's swell. 

The real chicken lines aren't really chicken if you start considering how far offshore you get but it's a lesser of two evils thing. NOTHING is breaking in 15 fathoms (not on days when we paddle anyway), but you damn well better stick with some other paddlers in case anything goes wrong because it's gonna be a long swim in a big ocean.

I bought a NOAA chart for the north shore and have been checking that area out off Uppers and Camp 1. That's all part of Spartan's and it extends pretty far out. But once you're outside of the furthest outcroppings of reef, you are in pretty deep water. Our line is on here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/473078844

It's pretty far out there at it's furthest point, about a mile, which is right about where upper upper outer upper would be I think.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:59:06 AM by covesurfer »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 01:00:40 PM »

It's pretty far out there at it's furthest point, about a mile, which is right about where upper upper outer upper would be I think.

cove, if you really want to know how deep that water was, at any point on your run, send me the TCX file. 

I will enter it into my google earth with the depth chart overlay and post a picture. 

It's quite easy to set up. I can send you the pictures of the depth chart.  I snatched them from the web and overlayed them into my google earth link. 

Now it opens automatically with google earth.  Garmin training center is much better than Garmin connect IMO.  I think you would like this system.  Fun exercise to set it up actually, If you like fiddling with computers.

Google earth also has a neat measuring device.  I was in ~25 fathoms of water on the black dot in the second picture.  ~300 yards from 10 fathoms.  A mile and a half from shore. 

My line last Thursday:

The ability to zoom in on an area is great.  The time slider in the upper left corner will move that black circle on the red line to a specific point in time.  Very useful for noting a memorable ride. 

I take it one step further and video entire runs.  If I really need the info, I can find the depth on a video clip.  It's taught me a lot about swell behavior in varying conditions. 

I'm very wary of dangerous swells in my ski.  Fooled me once and it will happen again.  As you can see I've gone to great lengths to push that date back.  I've used this system for a long time.  No beatings since 5-28-12.  I just wrote a big post about that day over at surfski.info.

I think the official PB definition of chicken line is any line where you don't actually get tagged.

You are wise young paduan.

NOTHING is breaking in 15 fathoms (not on days when we paddle anyway), /

You have much to learn young paduan. 

The biggest hole I've ever seen was in 17 fathoms of water.  It was in the general area of pier one - far from 'the break' - as in a mile away far... 

You have been out on days like that. 

The ocean has a funny way of doing whatever the hell it wants.  This you will learn.

HM keeps his swimming chops up to snuff for a good reason.  I recommend the same for anyone venturing out when it's big. 

PB one arming it out there is just typical puffery from the king of spin. 

Tourists beware.   

Support your local shaper

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
I'm downloading Training Center and I'm definitely wanting to chart my lines over the bottom contours. I'd love pics of the depth chart LPB. I'd like to try and replicate your setup so that I can figure out what I see on the surface during different runs and how it correlates to what the chart shows.

I guess I'm aware that the ocean does what it wants, it's just that I like to believe that I have more control than I actually do. Our line on Thursday felt pretty safe and pretty far off-shore but the Garmin shows us out only around a mile. It sure felt further than that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 05:02:14 PM »

PB one arming it out there is just typical puffery from the king of spin. 

Tourists beware.   

I wish. Torn supraspinatus and a torn subscapularis. Not bad enough for surgery I hope, but I haven't had six hours of uninterrupted sleep in three months. I can paddle OK, but my left bicep looks like someone stuck a pin in a balloon, so my right side stroke is weak all the time, and when the arm gets tired it goes away really fast. I'm probably bullshitting myself hoping this Prolo platelet thing is gonna work, but it's worth a shot. Otherwise I'm likely going to recovering all summer from surgery. I'm a firm believer that if you need serious medical attention or surgery here on Maui the most important thing to have is a plane ticket.

And surely you guys have noticed that big circle of 9 fathom water to the northwest of the end of Spatan's Reef (Upper Kanaha) and well outside Larry's line. The wave breaks over the NW corner of it.  I think the finer rez chart shows a ridge that's even shallower. FWIW, Tidy bowls is that finger of 4 fathom water pointing at Lowers. You can see why it's hard to come across the reef right at the end and still hit the beach at Lowers.

When you're trying to thread the line between the outer reef breaks and the inner breaks (for the Olukai) you're following that skinny line of 4 fathom water behind the outer break and trying to nail the turn between the two sets of breakers. Not a lot of room for error.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:03:51 PM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 06:16:06 PM »
Oh, and last, but not least, waves can break in pretty deep water. It's a function of bottom shape as well as depth. Waves "jack up" as the front of the wave slows from friction due to "feeling" the bottom. This starts at about 1/2 the wavelength. If a long period wave encounters a long, flat plateau at the right depth it starts to increase in height. When the height is about 1/7 the wavelength, the wave can break. I suspect that the actual break at UOOU is somewhere between the middle to the trailing edge of the plateau, depending on wave period. During the time the wave is gaining in height it makes those big deep holes we're always looking down at and crying like babies. Camp One is magic for doing this--a Gigantic plateau with nooks and crannies, like a giant coral and rock Thomas' English Muffin.

And I can't say for sure until Larry overlays it, but looking at your line, Greg, I'd say you ran right over Upper outer, outer, upper.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:25:51 PM by PonoBill »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 07:44:11 PM »

/ Torn supraspinatus and a torn subscapularis. Not bad enough for surgery I hope, /

Oh no.  Very sorry to hear that. 

I hope you have a speedy recovery. 

For those that don't know where those bad boys are:

Support your local shaper

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 10:29:59 PM »
Cool maps LPB.  I got lost on my first run on thursday and shot the gap between the outer and inner reef.  Pretty scary but your map shows me why I made it.  Still I'm going out far from now on till it starts laying down in a few months.  Out of practice since this year has just started....

Pretty wild story from yesterday when Devin's rudder failed.  RS and R2 helped her in through big stuff and then paddled back out through it to finish their runs.  Both those guys are familiar with the channels but heard it was still a heart pounder.  Anyway good group dynamics.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal