Author Topic: Starboard 2014 Carbons - Overly Fragile or just mine?  (Read 22982 times)

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Starboard 2014 Carbons - Overly Fragile or just mine?
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »
I picked up a 2014 7'7" Pro in Carbon last month on Maui, and back home on the water the other day I noticed the thing has dents everywhere (especially on the top of the nose near the upper part of the rails) despite the fact that I bag and baby it. Looking at it at home tonight, I can actually dent the surface just about anywhere just by poking it with my finger or by squeezing the rail with my hand. Comparing it to my 2012 7'" Pro in Carbon which doesn't have a single dent after 150 or so sessions this just seems weird. Same story with the 8' Pro in Carbon I had before that, plenty of use, even lent it to several friends, not a single ding or dent. I know they changed their layup a bit for 2014, so I wonder if they have just gone really light or if my board is defective?

Anyone having a similar experience?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:01:35 PM by 14 West »
Don't forget to bring a towel!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Re: Starboard 2014 Carbons - Overly Fragile or just mine?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 06:38:13 AM »
I have a 2013 8'5" Carbon Pro and while I can't dent it with my hands (even though it feels like I can) I certainly have a lot of paddle blade and shaft dents on the forward half. I think the tail half is a lot more sturdy. When I paddle out and get knocked by waves, I tend to fall forward on or near the board with the paddle, when I fall surfing I tend to fall away from the board. Except 2 days ago when the paddle blade pierced the deck right on the upper rail area about a 1/3 of the way from the nose. Wiped out and board was pushed into me and the paddle by the wave, put a nice little 1in cut in the board.

Not happy the rest of the day, still not happy.

They say they are getting lighter so maybe they are getting better at laying up the materials and can go thinner.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:11:20 AM »
that sounds pretty fishy, are you sure its a regular production board and not a 'maui special' prototype for a team rider?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:43:50 AM »
Possible theory....

A few months back, I ran into the owner of a kiteboard company on the beach testing production board samples (made at the Cobra factory). They had the brushed carbon Starboard look. He told me his boards were done this way because it looked cool, but in fact, his boards had zero carbon. Just black pigment, streaked with white.

Before you panic, I have no doubt your Starboards are carbon. But might they have reduced the use of carbon, to make them surf better? Does it surf better?

If you've ever gone too far with the carbon, you'll know it. The board surfs like crap.  ;D made that mistake only once myself.  :-[

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »
There is no such thing as brushed carbon - it's a term used to describe the use of tinted filler as the finished look as opposed to a painted finish or exposed carbon or glass laminate. There are several "Brushed Carbon" look boards on the market that do not contain carbon.....Using tinted filler is lighter than a full on paint-job, so it's not a bad thing, it just hasn't got anything to do with carbon.

But I doubt any of the bigger manufacturers would risk using the term carbon in their marketing if there is none in the board.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:28:21 AM »
Never say never.  Brushed carbon was popularized as a way to reduce overheating by adding some light color (white) to black carbon-fiber boards while adding minimum weight.  The process was/is shoot the paint and then sand most of it off... very effective and easier to match repair.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:30:21 AM by Bean »

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »
I have since become more educated on the "brushed-carbon" construction by way of putting 2 halves back together to make a whole SUP.  I think Bean and Peterp are both right.  The board I re-assembled had the same finish on both sides, but only one side had any carbon cloth.  The bottom side fiberglass cloth had a black weave-fill coat.  Once you sanded through that, you could look through clear glass to the eps below.  The deckside of the board also seemed to have a thin black weave-fill, but definitely had some black/carbon looking cloth beneath a thin outer glass layer.  This was a Cobra built board sold as a carbon model.  Both sides had the "brushed carbon" look. 

My previous understanding of "brushed carbon" was the one posted by Bean.  Now I know at least part of it is the opposite....black paint to simulate carbon and then white/contrasting paint to make the black seem more authentic.  I would still assume that any board sold as "brushed carbon" has carbon cloth in it somewhere...just not necessarily everywhere. 

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »
Overly fragile... My 2013 Allstar was as tough as an egg. Now sold. Cost £2000 too!
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 02:23:19 PM »
My 2013 14" ACE has the structural integrity of cheese.

I can push the carbon on any part of the board.  I've had a big chunk of carbon peel off the inside of the footwell and its cracked across the bottom in front of the footwell. Fixing it we found that the foam has been joined together at that point so It's not been made out of a single blank.

Great board and it's send a lot of service, paddled every day and hard racing, but even so not impressed with the build quality.

I've seen a few of the 2014 race boards sent back with bubbles appearing on the bottom (delams?)

On the other hand my 2012 EPS ACE and 2013 Widepoint are tough as nails

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:53:18 PM »
My 2013 14" ACE has the structural integrity of cheese.

I can push the carbon on any part of the board.  I've had a big chunk of carbon peel off the inside of the footwell and its cracked across the bottom in front of the footwell. Fixing it we found that the foam has been joined together at that point so It's not been made out of a single blank.

Great board and it's send a lot of service, paddled every day and hard racing, but even so not impressed with the build quality.

I've seen a few of the 2014 race boards sent back with bubbles appearing on the bottom (delams?)

On the other hand my 2012 EPS ACE and 2013 Widepoint are tough as nails

Opps wrong dates.
The Cheesey ACE is a 2012 (light gray)
The solid EPS was a 2011 (the first year of being called ACE instead of NEW)

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 10:39:23 PM »
http://youtu.be/AGzQA5DjHPE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 11:07:51 PM »
My 2013 carbon 14' Allstar is really tough. Definitely don't want to fall on the sides of the recessed deck - hurts

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 05:58:30 AM »
yes mine do the same thing. but they are prototypes. i jus taped paddle again  no more nicks.

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 07:07:29 AM »
do you mean a Starboard prototype?  how would that be different from a regular layup?
Dan G is sure not shy about banging the boards around a little!   :D

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
Tony, maybe you bought a dud?
Sorry about your board.

My 7'7" has a few cracks and one moderate pressure ding, but no water leaks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal