Author Topic: Plymouth beach goes off and I get rejected!  (Read 7863 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Plymouth beach goes off and I get rejected!
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 12:39:42 PM »

I think the best bet for Browns Bank is to go by boat. That is a LONG way out if something goes bad.... and YOU are the king of "goes bad" ;D

Are you talking about Stoney here? Because, PB resembles that remark too.  ;D (Not really, he always survives!)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »
Bill carries the scars to show for things going bad that's for sure.

Much better session today. Waist to chest at Nantasket today with a head+ set coming in every 10 mins or so. A little side shore chop but it varied, got pretty clean a couple times for a short while. Smaller waves were pretty mushy but the bigger ones were fun. My head is still a bit screwed up and I think I may have screwed myself up on my 9er by only using the Vec for so long. I used to walk the 9er more and I noticed in the me-pro vids I'm not moving much. I was also a lot more flexible on Maui in the warmth. The cold definitely seems to tighten everything up. I'm looking pretty robotic...not that I would have ever been confused with smooth. At least I remembered my hood today and to zip up my suit..... ::)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 07:08:08 PM »
Surfing like a stoneaxe....real stone.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »
Bob... that was lot better than the first vid... getting back in the water is giving you your legs back. Now.... don't take another 3 months off.  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
Not bad dude. You might want to try moving your back foot more, especially when you're turning to the backside.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 06:33:43 PM »
I still feel off that's for sure. Head cold is finally going away so that should help.  I'm pretty disappointed in what I see in the vid but as always its just time on water. I felt pretty light on my feet on Maui ...especially on that Foote 9-10. I was blown away by how good that board felt especially given my session with the Romanians back here. I'm pissed I didn't clean some wax off and throw a go-pro on the Foote. The two days I went out at Kanaha were fun and I felt comfortable despite the chop and slop. I know I was definitely moving around on it a lot more.
Once the head is clear and I'm in boardshorts (I aim for late April) things should get better. It's especially bothering me that I feel uncomfortable on my 9er. I'm going to take the Vec out this weekend alongside the 9er and see whats up. I think it may have to do with muscle memory. I'm surfing the 9er more like I do the Vec. The difference in sweet spot is surprising between the two. The Vec turns just by thinking about it and the 9er needs movement, which I always liked. It's a fun board to walk around on and yet I look like I'm glued down in the vid.

Creek...give me a yell if you're getting out.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:41:48 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 08:50:20 PM »
I've been having a similar issue... I've been surfing my 7'3 sims all winter.  I dinged it a week ago and while letting it dry out, I took out an 8'10 that I have.  Different shape altogether but felt so sluggish and didn't feel responsive at all.  The extra width of my simmy also isn't helping my balance when I switch to a more performance oriented board that's narrower.  There's just something about the sims feel though that I love and cannot give up despite any of the drawbacks.

I also just stopped by WarDog's shop on the way through Santa Barbara over the weekend and picked up a 2.25" nubster.  I tried it tonight in the sims and HATED it.  Might need to change up the fins overall, or try a twin setup with the nub.  I don't know.  I guess I shouldn't mess with something once it seems to be working but it's too fun not to.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 09:10:10 PM »
I tried a little fin (not a nub) in my L41 and hated it. Went straight back to the beach and yanked it out. totally lost that "hooked in but still loose" feel. I've tried it a few time since and it's never lasted longer than a few minutes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 10:55:02 PM »
I tried a little fin (not a nub) in my L41 and hated it. Went straight back to the beach and yanked it out. totally lost that "hooked in but still loose" feel. I've tried it a few time since and it's never lasted longer than a few minutes.

That's what I did tonight.  20 minutes with it, paddled straight to the beach and took it out.  Placebo effect or not, it felt better without it.  You nailed it with the loss of the hooked in but still loose feel.  I don't even know how to describe it. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »
I'm going to try some different fins next time out. I really like the twin keels on the Vec but I want to play some and see what others feel like. I also think I may add the center fin back on the SoCo. Hope to get out Saturday.

Fingers crossed that this cold is really gone by Saturday. Saw the doc today and got and anti-biotic, inhaler, and mucinex. Hit the bastard bugs hard hopefully....this thing is killing me...out of breath walking down the street.
Bob

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 06:24:42 PM »
Stoneaxe

Is that one of the new KeNalu blades? in the video

Inquiring minds wanna know
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 06:49:30 PM »
Nope...2 year old Maliko. I think the go-pro distortion makes it look narrower...hey...does that mean I'm actually fatter than I look in the vid..... :o
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:56:36 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »
A bad day in the srf is better than a good day at work, as they say. Plymouth huh? Isn't Hull Cove there? Caught that REAL good in Sept, 2010 w/hurricane Igor offshore. It was b4 I SUP srfed though. Tackled it on my 7'0" funnie. That is one LOOOONG wave!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.441599997681.242602.785257681&type=1&l=522c462eab
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.442718817681.243248.785257681&type=1&l=c436ac4c27
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:15:44 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 02:02:28 PM »
I watched your video again. Another little suggestion--you're doing the "bend at the waist, counterbalance with your butt" thing. In the long term you have to get rid of that. Bend at the knees, line your shoulders up with where you want to go. I'm very familiar with this issue. I do it myself all the time. It's a bitch to ditch, but it really holds up improvement. When I look at videos of Dave surfing, he always has his core under his head. It's where a lot of the balance comes from. That and a few thousand years of genetic manipulation  (you fall off the voyaging canoe and your genetic line comes to a sudden halt).

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »
Not sure where Hull's Cove is (not Plymouth) but that's a nice looking wave. I googled Hulls Cove and one in RI and ME show up. Hull, MA is where Nantasket Beach is...?

Funny you point that out bro. It's always bothered me that in most pics and vids I look like I need to take a dump while surfing.... ::). It made me realize that the times when I feel the most comfortable and in control that I'm not doing that but somehow I never really made the connection before....very easy habit to get into and one I will now try to break.
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal