Author Topic: windsurfing an iSUP vs. a regular SUP?  (Read 12003 times)

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
windsurfing an iSUP vs. a regular SUP?
« on: March 30, 2014, 06:14:21 AM »
I like sailing my 12' Ron House coastal cruiser in 12-25 mph rolling bay swell, plaining most of the time.  About to get a 12'6" inflatable and wondering if it is worth getting a mast base attachment for it for versatility.  Can anyone who has sailed regular SUPs of about 12' and inflatables (Naish or Starboard)  comment on how the inflatables work in planing conditions (DJ??). 

Many thanks.

Andy

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: windsurfing an iSUP vs. a regular SUP?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:23:15 AM »
AG, what iSUP allows a mast base attachment?

I'd think an iSUP would be fun in light winds, but wouldn't have the anywhere near the rigidity you'd want in planing conditions.  (My .02 cents (worth less than .01 cent))...
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 10:24:58 AM »
Hey Spookini -

Naish and Starboard both have inflatable boards that do.  Red now make a shorter board with one, and I'm thinking of getting a Red Explorer and trying trying to convince them to put one of their attachments on that for me - Red and Uli seem to make the stiffest inflatables.

I share your concern about rigidity.  The Red lets you use an actual A-box fin, which would help with windurfing, but if it would not work well planing then it isn't worth the hassle and expense of the custom order.  So any experience would be appreciated.

Andy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »
No SUP that I've sailed will really plane with a sail. Meaning they don't get up on the last few inches of board and fin and rip along. They all feel like the old displacement hull windsurfers that couldn't step. They're still lots of fun, but they don't get light and slippery.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 11:41:18 AM »
I've windsurfed the 10'6'' and 10'10'' Nalu and they defiantly get up and plaining.

I've windsurfed the Naish inflatable in light winds and it also went great..

I like it more than the Starboard version because the Stardoard had a bulky and unnecessary centreboard case.

I'll try and get my hands on the inflatable again in planing conditions and let you know how it goes.. and maybe make a vid.

Here's a vid that I did windsurfing the 10'10'' Nalu..

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:46:45 AM by DavidJohn »

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:06:28 AM »
..if it would not work well planing then it isn't worth the hassle and expense of the custom order...

AGK, there was a recent discussion on this topic on seabreeze, with some good comments:
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/The-Best-Inflatable-Windsup/?SearchTerms=iSUP

From reading that thread, and looking at the Red website, it doesn't seem they offer any mast insert.  Have you heard differently?
Not mentioned in the discussion is RRD...seems they have a mast plug on some of their shorter/surfier iSUPs as well, whereas Fanatic only has the plug on their longer iSUPs.
My thought is a sailable iSUP would be best for light wind doodling and for-fun wavesailing.  Even the models with an standard fin box...it's just glued to the bottom of the board. I'd have to wonder if the stress of higher winds and a longer planing-style fin wouldn't up ripping the finbox off or put a LOT of stress on the glued contact patch?  Also, the larger iSUPs (like the Red Explorer) are 6" thick, round, soft rails.  Might not be the best for getting back upwind?

I have the 9'2" Red, I have toyed around w/ the idea of trying to peel up a circle of the deckpad and velcro a mast base onto the rubber deck.  But, the idea of taking a razor knife to the pad scares me...  it's a great iSUP and I'd hate to slice it up :(.  The RRDs look interesting.  If someone has an extra cash lying around, feel free to buy me one and I'll post a review ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:09:18 AM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
Fanatic offers an Air Touring Premium Inflatable it paddles, rides small waves and planes (has a mast insert) I ( a BIG GUY) was impressed with it. It felt lighter than the Naish and has a more refined shape than the SB's I've seen

If I can be any help pop me a PM here
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 01:02:47 AM »
Looks like that 10'10" goes pretty well but it doesn't seem to take that last step. I also didn't see what I'd call a planing jibe. Looks like it suffers from the same thing my windsurfing SUPs do--more drag than a pure windsurfer. I don't consider that a fault, If I was looking for flat out speed and true planing I'd be on a performance windsurfer.  I like to go out to the reef, catch waves and be on a surfboard.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 06:51:29 AM »
..if it would not work well planing then it isn't worth the hassle and expense of the custom order...

AGK, there was a recent discussion on this topic on seabreeze, with some good comments:
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/The-Best-Inflatable-Windsup/?SearchTerms=iSUP

From reading that thread, and looking at the Red website, it doesn't seem they offer any mast insert.  Have you heard differently?
Not mentioned in the discussion is RRD...seems they have a mast plug on some of their shorter/surfier iSUPs as well, whereas Fanatic only has the plug on their longer iSUPs.
My thought is a sailable iSUP would be best for light wind doodling and for-fun wavesailing.  Even the models with an standard fin box...it's just glued to the bottom of the board. I'd have to wonder if the stress of higher winds and a longer planing-style fin wouldn't up ripping the finbox off or put a LOT of stress on the glued contact patch?  Also, the larger iSUPs (like the Red Explorer) are 6" thick, round, soft rails.  Might not be the best for getting back upwind?

I have the 9'2" Red, I have toyed around w/ the idea of trying to peel up a circle of the deckpad and velcro a mast base onto the rubber deck.  But, the idea of taking a razor knife to the pad scares me...  it's a great iSUP and I'd hate to slice it up :(.  The RRDs look interesting.  If someone has an extra cash lying around, feel free to buy me one and I'll post a review ;)

Hey Spookini --

Thanks for the ref to the Seabreeze thread.

Red has a windsurfing version of their "Mega" described here: http://www.redpaddleco.com/boards/ten-eight-mega/#.U0AFsK1dWvE

DJ's video (great video!) is more like the way I use SUPs to windsurf -- enough wind to plane upwind, and then to ride bay swell downwind (photo of current board attached).  For anything remotely like serious waves I use kites -- requires way less talent and equipment breakage than windsurfers.  I love sailing the SUP by my house in the sound (no good kite launch) and also when the weather is stormy or at all unsettled,

The question I still don't have an answer for is whether an inflatable will do what DJ is doing in the video - plane and carve relaxed turns.  I may have to be the guinea pig!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »

Looks like that 10'10" goes pretty well but it doesn't seem to take that last step. I also didn't see what I'd call a planing jibe.

Give me a little more wind.. and I'll give you a plaining jibe..  ;D

This jibe at the 5.20 mark must come close..  :) .. It's the old 12' Glide.

Antonius

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
I've been sailing the JP inflatable Allround and manage to plane out of my jibes on it. Not saying it doesn't take some technique but I got the biggest kick out of it when I planed out of my first jibe on it. I'm not breaking any speed records and people on regular windsurf boards pass me but it's a blast. It planes better than most regular SUPs because the bottom is flatter and the board is lighter. Stiffness is not an issue. I even tried chop-hopping it but without straps that was not easy but still fun to try.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 06:46:05 PM »
Ant,

Glad you are having fun THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal