Author Topic: Isle Brand Carbon Fiber Paddles???  (Read 5985 times)

JUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Isle Brand Carbon Fiber Paddles???
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:50:25 AM »
Anybody have any experiences with these paddles? They are dirt cheap which is very tempting!

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Isle Brand Carbon Fiber Paddles???
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:15 AM »
never seen one, but 28 oz. is heavy for a carbon paddle.  kinda defeats the purpose.
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:59:52 AM »
I've got a soft spot for the Isle brand since it was only because I found a $500 12' Isle board on Craigslist that I was able to get started in SUP.  Even talked it up here on the Zone a bit and appreciate the fact that everyone humored the newb until I was at a point where I wanted more performance.  That's my suspicion with these paddles as well.  A sport like ours needs entry-level equipment and we all need a beater paddle or two that we won't think twice about loaning out.

But I would suspect that trying these out side-by-side with a KeNalu, etc, will quickly make the price difference clear.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:44:34 AM »
My friend bought two of the Isle paddles, because of price, and the full carbon paddle felt heavier than the next level down model, which he bought for his wife.  Next to the KeNalu or my quickblade, there is no comparison.  Probably a good starter paddle, but once you feel a high end carbon paddle, you will want it.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

JUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:24:14 AM »
never seen one, but 28 oz. is heavy for a carbon paddle.  kinda defeats the purpose.

I am assuming that 28oz is for the 85" uncut paddle?... I'd be cutting mine to 79" so that should help with the weight a little... I am more concerned about the flex and rigidness of the shaft and blade...  I'm sure compared to the Werner Fiji paddle I have now, the Isle will feel like heaven!

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »

I am assuming that 28oz is for the 85" uncut paddle?... I'd be cutting mine to 79" so that should help with the weight a little... I am more concerned about the flex and rigidness of the shaft and blade...  I'm sure compared to the Werner Fiji paddle I have now, the Isle will feel like heaven!

How often do you SUP? If a lot, spend the money!

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 12:09:48 AM »

[/quote]

Guess how much the Fiji weighs?  28 oz.

Which leads me back to my original reply... what's the point of purchasing a carbon paddle if it's not light?  Or at least, lighter than a Fiji...

San Diego, CA

JUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 01:25:44 AM »
Again  I am not concerned with weight... I am more concerned with feel, flex, rigidity,  and getting better power transfer with out spending $300/400.  If that comes in the form a cheap Isle carbon paddle then so be it.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 03:48:47 AM »

My ZRE comes in at 13oz  8)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 09:19:33 PM »
Again  I am not concerned with weight... I am more concerned with feel, flex, rigidity,  and getting better power transfer with out spending $300/400.  If that comes in the form a cheap Isle carbon paddle then so be it.

It sounds like your mind is made up, but as you have seen, any regular on this forum will ALWAYS steer you away from cheap SUP product & recommend quality equipment from trusted companies in its place.

In SUP as in all walks of life, you get what you pay for.  And in SUP as in all industries, marketing is marketing & should be looked upon with extreme skepticism.   

There are a handful of companies that do it right, build quality, and stand behind their product.  Those are the companies you can trust.  Those are the companies that are repeatedly plugged on this forum. 

That being said, the blade will probably be more rigid than the nylon Fiji blade 8)
San Diego, CA

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 06:23:19 AM »
I learned years ago that the paddle is about the most important bit of kit.. Weight is a huge factor... Once you've used a high end paddle, you'll feel the difference and see why its worth spending 300 quid!
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 06:36:51 PM »
If cost is your primary concern you might try a compromise. Go with the new Ke Nalu less expensive blade the Honu. $165 gets you a good paddle that you can easily upgrade later after you feel someone else's full carbon blade. It gets you xtuf or xtuf(s) shaft and light handle along with honu blade at 25 oz. Later if you want to upgrade just swap out the blade.

You'll be the rare paddler that doesn't think light weight means something but as always its a personal decision. Demoing is always the best way if possible but I'd guess you would have done that if available.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »
I have two Isle Pro paddles - one i use as a beater and one is my wifes.... I also own a Ke Nalu

Obviously the difference it huge...BUT- for 100 bucks or whatever the Isles are- the isle pro has been a trooper- take an absolute beating- sure not the lightest- but I have paddled much worse in rental paddles and off the shelf off brand carbons i have borrowed for comparison

...a great paddle for the money.- (But you eventually will yearn for something better)

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 04:59:26 PM »
UK is right. The paddle is IT! Paddling whitewater for years I've always paid good money to have my paddles custom.  When you're fighting for your life you want to be able to rely on your stick.

Good luck with your purchase! And enjoy!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal