Author Topic: 2yrs of sup and  (Read 4281 times)

chicagoflasup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
2yrs of sup and
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:46:31 PM »
I have been sup surf for at least 2yrs now and this after noon I rode two of the best waves in my life in ormond beach ridding my 10' mana (pre 2014') since I learn that more foot on the tail real make a different... Now I'm thinking about my next board.any ideas what the next step down from mana 10 should be.. nothing to crazy just nice step down. (I'm 213 lbs)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:01:58 PM by chicagoflasup »
-------WHAT WOULD LAIRD DO?------

excote 8'11'' fish
allwave 9'1''
naish mana 10'
custom biscuit 6' (prone)

supthecreek

Re: 2yrs of sup and
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:39:15 PM »
Very cool that you got some great waves!

About your next board... the 10' Mana is working well for you.... you know what you liked best about it... use that as a starting point. Look at all the boards you can.... demo if possible.

To make any suggestions, other Zoners will need to know more specs.
Ability, weight, age, anything that helps define your needs.

Researching next boards is half the fun.... enjoy.

The Salt Fly

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • North 2 Board Sports
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 08:42:42 AM »
New 2014 8'10" Mana gs or gt, I think you'll likie

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 10:33:02 AM »
Hang on to the board you like, and take a radical step down. At 215 there's a lot of short wide boards that will work well. Something in the 8'5" X 31 range. You'll struggle a little, but the new board will suit you for a long time, and you'll learn to turn harder. Demo if you can, but the other choice is a custom. Having a local shaper that knows the local surf shape a board that suits you and the conditions is a really great experience and will move you forward quickly.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 12:39:55 PM »
You have way too many choices for a step down from the mana.  You could choose from 8.0 to 9.8 and be happy with a second wave board for the east coast.  You could go custom or off the shelf.  You could even go used.  One hour north or south and you have access to some great shapers.

Demo and look around.  Half the fun of finding that next magic board is looking for it.  Good luck and have fun

chicagoflasup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 03:11:25 PM »
anybody care to recommend few good "Sup" shapers that are close to me ( jax to NSB)..  Or brands that the sup shops here Sell..

I think what I'm looking for is something that will b more turn able but still Have stability Like mana. Or maybe little less then mana. 

P.s. is there anyone in the area out here that might wanna share boards with me for a session.. I been known as the hard of hearing guy on the sup.. 

excote 8'11'' fish
allwave 9'1''
naish mana 10'

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 05:18:26 AM »
I also own a Mana..... a 9'5, so I am familiar with your board.

It sounds like you might really be a good candidate for the Fanatic Allwave.

It is a great board for someone looking for stability and surfability.

I have owned 3 of them... loved them all 9'10 - 9'6 & 8'10. I weigh 215
In my full New England winter gear, I am around 240 total.... the 8'10 floats me easily and is very stable.

The Allwave HRS construction is super tough. Most durable boards I have ever owned.

I like the construction so much that I have ordered theFanatic Prowave in HRS instead of carbon.

Search this forum for "Allwave".... lots of pics and reviews

I think you would be quiet happy with the 9'1 Allwave.... or if you want a tad more stability even cheaper.... buy a leftover 2013 model (slightly wider nose)...or used.

I believe that you will find the 9'1 almost as stable as the 10 Mana, and will offer you much more performance. (in a MUCH tougher board)

Allwaves are much less $$$ than most boards out there.... contact JimK  at extremewindsurfing.com...... he is a Zone sponsor and gives all Zoners a great discount. Most knowledgable person I have met about SUP construction, and SUP industry in general. He will be happy to talk with you about SUP.

chicagoflasup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »
Yea I was thinking to alwaves might b good board I had a around 11' and liked it... I was not sure with the new changes that they made what size is better to look at but sounds like the 9'1"?     I'm looking to have something that turns bit freer on the wave but not give up too much stability.. and shorter is always nice for transportation..

excote 8'11'' fish
allwave 9'1''
naish mana 10'

pguidry

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 06:01:06 PM »
Stu Sharpe is down around Cocoa. Skip Smith is in Jax. 

Starting mid April I'll be in St Augustine most weekends.  I have some L41's and an 8'11" South County you can demo.

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »
I sent you a pm and I second Skip Smith.. His boards rock, and he is a super good guy...

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 12:57:01 PM »
Thanks for the Kudo's guys the AllWave 8'11 would be a perfect call and "Of Course" I got the ZONER Discount going
The New AW has a thinner rail and a slightly narrower tail (per certain ZONER requests) It also has a square tail as opposed to the swallow of 2013

Pop me a PM for more details or feel free to contact me directly jim@extremewindsurfing.com or call me 484 515 5758 or shop 6096414445

Happy to help STOKE the Zone!
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »
I have been sup surf for at least 2yrs now and this after noon I rode two of the best waves in my life in ormond beach ridding my 10' mana (pre 2014') since I learn that more foot on the tail real make a different... Now I'm thinking about my next board.any ideas what the next step down from mana 10 should be.. nothing to crazy just nice step down. (I'm 213 lbs)

I'm in roughly the same boat as you.  I just stepped down from a 10' to the 9'2" Turbo Nugg, and I love it.  I'm @250lbs and it floats me perfectly, and is extremely stable.  At 213lbs you would have no problem with it, and it's more cost effective than the Naish options. 
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal