Author Topic: Is Naish hiding in the hole it dug for itself?  (Read 20490 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Is Naish hiding in the hole it dug for itself?
« on: March 18, 2014, 11:51:56 PM »
This could have gone on the SUPAA rule thread, but I thought it deserves its own.  I noticed a few days ago that some of Naish's own boards are too light to be legal under the new SUPAA board rules.  At the same time, Naish is one of the companies that according to SUPAA created and supports the rules.  That means Naish is selling race boards to people with its right hand while its left hand is making those boards illegal to race.
I wrote to Naish about this on its facebook page.  Naish's "response" was to take my post down almost immediately, with no response to me publicly or privately.  That's disappointing, because as everyone knows I'm a big Naish fan.  But it's not surprising, because I don't know how Naish can possibly answer my letter without looking bad.  If I ever get a response, I'll post it.  In the meantime, does anyone know anyone at Naish I could write to directly?

I'm not creating this problem for Naish.  Naish (along with SUPAA) created it for itself.  I'm only informing them about it.  Hiding isn't going to solve it for Naish.

Here's the letter Naish removed:

I'm a huge Naish fan--have 2 14' Glides and a 14' Javelin.  I love the boards, and recommend Naish constantly.  I've been eyeing the 14' LE as my next board.  However, my loyalty just took a hit when I found out Naish has been involved in supporting the SUPAA's new, stupid board limits.  Of course you have the right to support whatever you want.  But what you don't have the right to do is to support SUPAA's board limits on the one hand, while on the other, offer on your website and through your dealers Naish boards (the 12-6 and 14' LEs) that would be illegal under the new rules, without disclosing that to your loyal customers. 

I understand the SUPAA rules will "grandfather" current boards until 2016, and that many elite racers replace their boards each year anyway.  But when people like me spend $3k or $4k on a board, we expect to be able to race it for more than 2 years, or at least to be able to sell it to someone else who can race it.  But what's the resale value on a board made specifically for racing that's illegal to race?  Nothing.  And don't tell me (as the SUPAA does) that the SUPAA rules still allow me to race a 12-6 or 14' Naish LE in 2016 or after as long as I do it in the unlimited division!

When you sell expensive boards with one hand, while with the other hand you are supporting rules that make those same boards worthless in two years, and not disclosing that, you're being dishonest.  What a great way to lose loyal customers!  You should either oppose the rules, or add a disclaimer to your website, and notify all your dealers and customers, that your LE boards will be illegal to race under the rules you are supporting, and worthless upon resale.

Personally, I hope you'll change your mind about the rules.  The idea that SUP racing will be ruined by boards like the LEs is ludicrous.  The skill level is SUP is evolving so rapidly that (normal-sized) people are already using the 23" 14' LEs for downwinding.   Five years ago, that would have been thought impossible.  For light paddlers in flatwater (and many women are far, far lighter than men racing LEs successfully today) anything OVER 23" may soon seem as boatlike as yesterday's 27" or 28" race boards seem today.  Certainly 110-lb. women shouldn't be limited to 23" min. boards when 200-lb. men are racing on 24's. 

It is shortsighted for Naish to support rules that will force those paddlers onto boards that are too wide for them, and it is even worse for Naish to be selling boards it's simultaneously working (through the SUPAA) to make illegal. 

LeftSide

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is Naish hiding in the hole it dug for itself?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:11:22 AM »
You can't just add some ballast?

NoFoSUPer

• Waikiki Status
  • A quarter keg is covering my six pack abs!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - trbo930
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 03:44:23 AM »
Nice work Mike! I would be curious to see how this plays out.
Maybe posting the letter several more times would evoke a response from them. Someone has to be a squeaky wheel & speak the truth.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:15:15 AM by NoFoSUPer »
12.5  x 29.25 JL Mission
10.5 Surftech Randy French bamboo
14 x 27.25 Bark Dominator Tuflite Construction

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:59:43 AM »
I don't really see anything sinister in the fact that Naish supports the 10kg rule and offers a board that may weigh 9.9kg. The reality is that the boards rarely weigh exactly what is advertised so they may weigh more or less therefore several brands boards may fall under the new limit. I've seen boards from all brands weigh up to 1kg more or less than advertised. Surely this will be solved by adding a small piece of lead somewhere for weigh in just like boards in the past had their noses chopped off. Alternatively the first ding will soak enough water to put you on the right side of the limit anyway and by the time you come to resale I can assure you that your board will be over the limit unless you are extremely good at avoiding dings.

Whether the rule(s) should be there in the first place is a whole other discussion.......

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 04:06:12 AM »
You're not holding back any punches, are you?  Good letter.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 05:32:22 AM »
Maybe the answer is to do what they do in cycling.

Many bike manufactures make bikes that are lighter than the min alowed weight to race.

So they just add a small weight to the frame to make it legal..

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 06:52:15 AM »
That's a great point DJ.

And just like in biking, for SUP's it's not only the overall weight that's important but also how (or where) that weight is distributed.  While the rules might cap the overall maximum weight, this may have the unintended effect of pushing costs up as the manufacturers search for exotic ways to better distribute the "allowed weight" with only marginal benefits to the sport.  Will we be seeing boards with movable weights to compensate for upwind, downwind, cross wind and other conditions?  Is this what the major board manufacturers really want? 

Since much of this redistribution would entail structural engineering that would be applied under the skin, It would likely benefit the manufacturers with greater technological ability as opposed to board builders that rely more on highly developed shaping skills. 

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 07:13:38 AM »
Higher allowable weights also allow for less expensive materials and the use of less skilled labor to build...you have to think like a business man...these manufactures know how to build light (eps core with full divinycell wrap top/bottom/rails) and strong but why should they if the public buys cheap and heavy? All this has go on for decades with beach cats. Major builders come in and brainwash the buyers into believing heavy is stronger...they scare away buyers from full divinycell wapped boards ...the easily manipulated...with the garbage about the wrong flex pattern...that they are too stiff...they keep drinking the cool aid...what's the flavor this week? Oh is limits on SUP race boards.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 07:44:10 AM »
I,ve got a solution for you. Get a two pound fin for the weigh-in, then swap it out for the race.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 07:52:43 AM »
Where the weight is placed can make a huge difference in how a board tracks. In my drag race car, I have weights attached in several different locations, that I add to or remove to balance the vehicle for the launch. I know a race car is not the same, but relocating weights on an sup might just be part of the future tech for sup racing.

It sure would have made Naish look a lot better if they had just replied to your post, instead of deleting it.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 08:09:22 AM »
The Race boards from Naish have been in the works for a while. The new X model LE is the better choice anyway. I sure Naish is not happy about having a stock of 23" LE that are not legal. I beleive they we quick to adjust
with the system and allowed my preseason order to be adjusted as well. I have more of a problem with companies advertizing weight that are an easy 20% lighter than actual.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »
I usually duct tape my pfd to my board with a ton of tape so it can't come off. That would add just enough weight. ..

Talldude

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 08:21:14 AM »
I have more of a problem with companies advertizing weight that are an easy 20% lighter than actual.

I bought a digital scale last year for $25, and have it when I am demoing boards, or just shopping.  Some weight claims are more than 20% off.  It saved me a couple times, on a used board purchase.  It can tell you very quickly if a board has taken on water, even if the repairs are not obvious.  $25 well spent. I did forget to bring it with me for my Lopez sweetie pie 8'5" board review last week, in the Gear Review section.  Going back this weekend so I will update the review.

On another note, am I wrong or does it seem like Naish leans to the high side when indicating board volume. I think the labeled volumes are higher than they truly are.  Could be misleading. I am sure measuring volume by major manufacturers is based on the CAD program they design with, so it should be at least close.  I have been on 120 ltr boards that were much more stable than 135 ltr Naish boards.  Could be design traits, but.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »
I'm having a hard time imagining race officials coming around & weighing every board before a race.  That just seems ridiculous. 

If it actually happens at all, hopefully only for elite races. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:51:30 AM by Fog City Rider »
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 08:59:49 AM »
I,ve got a solution for you. Get a two pound fin for the weigh-in, then swap it out for the race.

Nice loophole!
especially if the board is a twin fin, with ventral.  you have three heavy fins for weigh in and then put your race fins in.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal