Author Topic: Kitson Boards from WA?  (Read 5509 times)

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Kitson Boards from WA?
« on: March 09, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »
Just moved to the area. I looked them up online, but not too much info other than some bad customer service reviews. They only make carbon boards. Anyone know anything about them?

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
Re: Kitson Boards from WA?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:20:30 AM »
A friend of mine just went to their demo day & this is what he had to say... It ain't good.  Also, another guy I know ordered one last March and it took 6 months to get with them not returning e-mails or phone calls...

Went to the Kitson Boards open house today with two of my fellow sup crew to see their production factory and demo the M30 hollow carbon touring board they are promoting. Well lets just say they didn't not fail me in being a complete joke that they are. The owner made claim that they "are the only US board manufacture" interesting fact.... Oh and their claim of 100% carbon board actually has fiberglass and foam in it go figure. The facility was nice I must say but I had serious doubts in the construction and finish of the boards after seeing how they were built. There is a strange vibe about that company in the fact no one there actually paddles makes one wonder what their motives in the business are if they don't take part in what they promote. Than there is the interesting flaws in design to the board that just give it an awkward shape with hard edges below the water line.
So now for the fun part to go demo these hollow carbon 12'6 touring boards. Carrying them down they were light ok great. Getting on the water go figure there is not enough volume in these boards for anyone over 180 lbs so to say the least we were all plowing or going underwater. Than off the dock we went and holy crap they flexed in all sorts of directions and ways like a wet noodle worse than an under inflated iSUP. So for something that is built of all carbon and super strong to have this ridiculous amount of flex is surprising from the claims they made. I decided to see how well you can do a pivot turn, switched to my surf stance no problem but when I went to step back just a little the deck caved in and actually cracked right through the carbon. Well so much for the pivot. So we only spent maybe 10 mins out there since these boards were one not strong and two way under volume especially for something to be sold as a touring board to the masses. Now the fun part getting back on the dock, going to pick up the board and the nose comes up and than the tail wait a minute this thing weighs a ton! Holy crap there is another 25lbs of water in this board! After pulling ALL THREE of our boards onto the dock we had to unscrew the drain plugs and drain well over a gallon of water out of each board before being able to carry them back up the ramp. What the heck all of our boards took on that much water in such short time hmmmm. Well to say the least when they asked what we thought the answer was not good to small, flexed like a noodle, cracked under heel and flooded with water somehow, what was good nothing. Than the sales guy tries say some BS cover up why these didn't perform well. Unfortunately they are stuck with this size and shape cause it is the only mold they have. I really hate when people make stuff up and try and sale me crap like I am uneducated and that is what the whole morning felt like there. There are so many red flags about this company and so many blatant lies it disgusts me and sucks they have to be in my town. So anyone curious about a Kitson board there you go they have been tested and reviewed by the three of us and they failed on all accounts.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: Kitson Boards from WA?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:26:11 AM »
/mindboggle