Author Topic: Going shorter  (Read 8992 times)

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Going shorter
« on: February 27, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »
I've been riding a 10'6 Laird Pearson Arrow for the past 8 months . Great board and feels just like a good high performance longboard but obviously much bigger. I'm looking to go shorter and have 2 boards in mind. I really like the look of the Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun in the 9'7 or the new Naish Hokua LE 9'1 X 32 wide.
Just wanted to get some feedback on either board . I'm around 90 kilos and I'm in the surf a lot.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Going shorter
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
Depends on the type and size of break you surf. Going from a medium size cruiser to a small sports car could limit your wave count. With your weight, and a lower volume pulled in gun, it will take some getting used to. You have to line-up more inside, and take some late drops just to get in to it. There won't be any glide as you paddle like on your 10'6. Getting forward as you try to catch something, is not easy with a pulled in nose. Lots of disappointing missed waves. I've been there.
I would suggest something like the JL Kwad.  http://jimmylewisukandireland.com/kwad/  I think it would be a good versatile performance surf SUP. You would probably get a higher wave count and have more fun with it. The 9'1. It's at the limit of your weight w/ 130 liters, but you'd get use to it after a while. Good luck...   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPStandard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:56:08 PM »
I'm pretty much a newb to SUP and not an advanced surfer.  I bought a JL Kwad to grow into and I've caught waves every time I've taken it out, although I'm surfing small inside waves.  I think this is a great board and could really be awesome in the hands of someone with skill (maybe me some day).

I'm smaller so I bought the 8'7" and while it doesn't have incredible glide, it might surprise you how fast and well you can paddle around.  I ripped up and down the local river in quite a surprisingly quick time.  These boards are beautiful and light too!

I would suggest something like the JL Kwad.  http://jimmylewisukandireland.com/kwad/  I think it would be a good versatile performance surf SUP. You would probably get a higher wave count and have more fun with it. The 9'1. It's at the limit of your weight w/ 130 liters, but you'd get use to it after a while. Good luck...   

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:48:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I guess there are plenty of options out there but for me not many opportunities to demo. Judging from the amount of responses here I can only assume that not many here surf SUP.  ???

SUPalon

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 10:36:12 PM »
Disclaimer, I'm the Norcal Rep for Focus SUP.

Editorial note:  http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,18716.0.html

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:22:11 AM by Admin »

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 10:40:11 PM »
Hey sharkies, I have not seen either of the boards you mentioned, so I waited to see if you got any answers.

I think the problem is, we all have our ideas on the 2014 models, but most of us have not seen any yet.

The 9'7 Stun Gun is certainly an interesting board.... I'd love to try one. I'd have to go the 9'7 myself to get the stability I like.

The Naish 91 LE 32 is big bucks. I think there are lots of good options, for far less $$$$
You could go smaller  in the Mana range than the Stun Gun, I think that you would be really happy with a 2014 8'10 Mana GS.... $1,000 less than the LE 32.... and I think the new model is going to be a great board. I'm looking into one myself.

the 9'3 Prowave HRS model fits your target zone. Affordable and tougher than most boards. High performance.

Not being able to demo makes it hard to compare.

Volume is a vague benchmark, because shape plays a more important role in comfort and stability.

The same volume in a pointy nose, thin railed board will be much tippier than a shorter, wide full shape, so it is really important to try whatever you can, just to get a feel for what suits you. I will sometime swap board with 3 different people in one session... just to see what different shapes feel like.

I weigh 220lbs, lifetime surfer. Here's what I have laid my $$$ out for lately

I have owned lots of boards, my latest being:
8'10 Allwave - My best go to year round all conditions board....(sold it to upgrade to a 2014 9'6 Prowave)
                     Note: the 2014 Allwave line looks incredible.... definitely give them a look.... you could EASILY do the 8'11
8'11 Hobie RAW - LOVE it - absolutely the best ripper I have ever had - but winter gear sinks it
9'4 Hobie RAW (Winter board - selling in a month, when my Prowave arrives.... you may like it.... super light, very fast)
9'5 Mana - Love it in small waves and flat-water, but considering trading for the new 8'10 Mana when they arrive, cuz they look SO frickin' good.

Hope you find some of this helpful.

Where are you from? There are probably Zoners that would gladly let you demo their board

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »
HOKUAAAAAA

you might see from my profile pic where I lean. I'm your weight and the regular 9'0hokua is my all time favorite...for the versatility of waves and ease of use..no doubt in my mind. The hokua series is performance surf..not much longboard performance...but damn they can go on a wave.

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »
Hey sharkies, I have not seen either of the boards you mentioned, so I waited to see if you got any answers.

I think the problem is, we all have our ideas on the 2014 models, but most of us have not seen any yet.

The 9'7 Stun Gun is certainly an interesting board.... I'd love to try one. I'd have to go the 9'7 myself to get the stability I like.

The Naish 91 LE 32 is big bucks. I think there are lots of good options, for far less $$$$
You could go smaller  in the Mana range than the Stun Gun, I think that you would be really happy with a 2014 8'10 Mana GS.... $1,000 less than the LE 32.... and I think the new model is going to be a great board. I'm looking into one myself.

the 9'3 Prowave HRS model fits your target zone. Affordable and tougher than most boards. High performance.

Not being able to demo makes it hard to compare.

Volume is a vague benchmark, because shape plays a more important role in comfort and stability.

The same volume in a pointy nose, thin railed board will be much tippier than a shorter, wide full shape, so it is really important to try whatever you can, just to get a feel for what suits you. I will sometime swap board with 3 different people in one session... just to see what different shapes feel like.

I weigh 220lbs, lifetime surfer. Here's what I have laid my $$$ out for lately

I have owned lots of boards, my latest being:
8'10 Allwave - My best go to year round all conditions board....(sold it to upgrade to a 2014 9'6 Prowave)
                     Note: the 2014 Allwave line looks incredible.... definitely give them a look.... you could EASILY do the 8'11
8'11 Hobie RAW - LOVE it - absolutely the best ripper I have ever had - but winter gear sinks it
9'4 Hobie RAW (Winter board - selling in a month, when my Prowave arrives.... you may like it.... super light, very fast)
9'5 Mana - Love it in small waves and flat-water, but considering trading for the new 8'10 Mana when they arrive, cuz they look SO frickin' good.

Hope you find some of this helpful.

Where are you from? There are probably Zoners that would gladly let you demo their board

Cheers and thanks for the response. I'm on the NSW South Coast in Australia. Its not too far from Sydney so I guess there would be more demo opportunities there. The new Naish boards are really expensive without a doubt and I do like the look of the JL boards.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 11:07:48 PM »
Judging from the amount of responses here I can only assume that not many here surf SUP.  ???
  I think there are a ton of SUP surfers on the zone. I just surfed with a bunch of them yesterday. If you asked me what the best SUS board is for me? It would be a long list of break and swell size specific boards. I surf pretty much my own home made boards, but they are what I like best about a lot of other boards I surf. Because of where I live, I'm fortunate enough to have access to demo so many customs. So off the rack boards don't typically interests me. But! there are a few Naish boards that I like, and own. Most the people I SUS with, who had Hokua's, are now on some sort of Simmons shape boards. Either Infinity phoenix, King's, Corran's, or L41's. I'm sure Naish get will create a similar shape in the next year or so. I think the answer is demo all you can.....   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 04:21:48 PM »
Judging from the amount of responses here I can only assume that not many here surf SUP.  ???
  I think there are a ton of SUP surfers on the zone. I just surfed with a bunch of them yesterday. If you asked me what the best SUS board is for me? It would be a long list of break and swell size specific boards. I surf pretty much my own home made boards, but they are what I like best about a lot of other boards I surf. Because of where I live, I'm fortunate enough to have access to demo so many customs. So off the rack boards don't typically interests me. But! there are a few Naish boards that I like, and own. Most the people I SUS with, who had Hokua's, are now on some sort of Simmons shape boards. Either Infinity phoenix, King's, Corran's, or L41's. I'm sure Naish get will create a similar shape in the next year or so. I think the answer is demo all you can.....   

Thanks Talldude The Simmons style boards you quoted are not familiar to me but I think I will head up to Sydney and see whats on offer to demo up there.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »
Under  9 ' down under. JP 8'8", Starboard WP 8'10", Exocet fish wide and not, Jimmy L . stun gun, Jimmy L. Kwad, Angelo 8'8" which is the one I just bought! Try and see wave conditions, water temp (trunks vs. winter rubber) , bottom contours, weight, planshape, thickness, et cetera etcetera. I am trying to as short as I can and not fall because of my prior shortboard experience. I foolishly bought boards that were too narrow for me. Good luck with your hunt. It's the journey not the destination. The trail is never ever straight!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:44:45 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 11:54:11 PM »
I've got the opportunity to swap my Jimmy Lewis Cruise Control for a 9'7 Stun Gun . At 31 wide I reckon it would be worth a go.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 04:19:37 AM »
Let us know how the stun gun shoots. Should work well in good waves.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 07:26:42 PM »
Let us know how the stun gun shoots. Should work well in good waves.

will do mate

sharkies

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 04:59:29 AM »
I ended getting the 9'7 JL Stun Gun. These boards are beautifully finished. Going from 154 liters down to 136 and going down nearly 1 foot is going to be a challenge but that's progress I reckon. I've gone from 29 3/4 wide long board style of board to 31 inches wide in a short board style board. Can't wait to get it wet tomorrow morning  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal