Author Topic: Getting Tired of Waiting Robbie Naish!!  (Read 23788 times)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Getting Tired of Waiting Robbie Naish!!
« on: February 21, 2014, 05:09:15 AM »
I am a big Naish Fan and from what I have read and seen, they did a nice job of redesigning the new 14 Glide.  However, 29.5 is just too wide from me to seriously consider.  I have been waiting around for a new narrower Glide.  I don't understand.   Why the wait?  Take a look at Starboard and see all the various widths that are available for their boards!!  I don't want a board that wide and I am NOT going to shell out four grand for the next more narrow Naish board SUP, the 26 LE.  I have a 2012 14 x 27.25 Glide and really love it, but I am searching for a bit more speed on the flats with the same stability.  Got the Javelin and it is 26 1/8 , which is fast on flats, but slows in side wind and chop and wants to spit me off.  I am thinking that the new shape would be nice, but 29.5 is so wide it would alter my stroke.  I have had a board that wide and I just don't want to go back to that, even if it is fast, as I am told.  So COME ON ROBBIE!!  GET IT DONE!! , so I don't have to switch brands!!  The new SIC X-14 and x-14 PRO are looking better all the time!!     
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
Re: Getting Tired of Waiting Robbie Naish!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:54:55 AM »
Yes this is an odd deal for Naish and one of the disappointments for 2014.
Naish could have just reproduced the 14X27 along with the 29.  Cobra actually made the GS 27 models by mistake with the 2014 graphics.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:00:19 AM »
You could always look at the Fanatic Falcon They make Flatwater and open water versions from 24" to 30" wide and in 3 constructions to meer every application and budget

Just a thought
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:10:29 AM »
JimK,  that is my point exactly!! 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 02:07:20 PM »
I agree 100%

The last time I spoke to the Naish guys here in Oz (last week) I said that it's a shame that I find my new LE14 X26 a bit too tippy for me in a DW conditions.. and yet my new 29" wide GS14' Glide feels almost too wide.. (but give me the wider and more stable option any day) .. The new 29" wide a Glide is perfect for new people getting into DWers.. and for the bigger guys.. But a smaller person doesn't need such a big board.. and there's no other option for them without them going to the high priced LE boards.. That's wrong IMO.. I was thinking a 27" version of the new 29" wide new shape Glide would be perfect for most people.. It would be faster and more stable than the old 27" wide Glide... Maybe even a cheaper GS version of the LE X26 would also be another good option.. To be honest I'd rather that than the light/fragile/flexy high priced board.. With so many different size wave boards and other brands offering two and sometimes three width options of the same board Naish should look at doing the same.. We need more DW.. touring.. and flat water board options.. Are you listening Mr Naish..  ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:26:13 PM by DavidJohn »

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
That's right DJ!!  Come on Robbie!!  The drums are beating louder every day!!
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 01:21:33 PM »
Robbie???,   Robbie???, Robbie???  Naish Reps???,  Naish Reps??,  Beuller??? Beuller??..........cricket, cricket, cricket..... 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 02:16:39 PM »
I'm thinking the SIC's are on the money..  Maybe even the new production Bullet 14v2..

I too am a huge fan of my 2012 Glide.  And yes, anything over 27" is not of interest to me either.  I just want a bit less rocker along with a non boofy nose.  (That rules out the Fanatics.. Also they are only available in the narrower option in carbon.  No thanks... too spendy for me.). And although the new Starbies look awesome, they still have the sunken deck that does not really appeal to me as much as it once did.

So yes, a non LE version of the new Glide 26" would be the ticket. 

End of babbling rant...

DS
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »
I do have the 27" version of the 14' Glide which I would sell for $5000 to anyone.  Rideordie makes a good point that is overlooked way too often.  Wide boards distort your stroke, and the smaller you are the worse it is.  It's a third factor right up there with stability and speed when talking about narrow vs. wide, but rarely mentioned.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 03:27:09 PM »
I'm thinking the SIC's are on the money..  Maybe even the new production Bullet 14v2..

I too am a huge fan of my 2012 Glide.  And yes, anything over 27" is not of interest to me either.  I just want a bit less rocker along with a non boofy nose.  (That rules out the Fanatics.. Also they are only available in the narrower option in carbon.  No thanks... too spendy for me.). And although the new Starbies look awesome, they still have the sunken deck that does not really appeal to me as much as it once did.

So yes, a non LE version of the new Glide 26" would be the ticket. 

End of babbling rant...

What about the Fanatic Falcon 14 X 27.5"? That is available without the "boofy" nose as far as I know and I'm pretty sure the same shape has been retained for 2014. There is a couple of videos kicking around of the 2013 model and it gets good ratings for doing well in all conditions. There is one review that I wanted to read on seabreeze but the link doesn't work.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/2013-Fanatic-Falcon-14-x-275-review/

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 03:32:40 PM by robon »

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »
I don't see that board on Fanatic's Web Site.  There's a "Flatwater" board, but it doesn't fit my bill of being upwind and downwind friendly.  I also would like a board less than 27", like PDX says, short people don't need a fat board.  A 26" new shape 14' Glide would be perfect for my wants. Just not in the LE carbon construction. 

I guess I should demo a SB Allstar.  The previous iterations had too little volume, and they've eliminated the boof nose. 

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 11:35:19 PM »
I think the reason there isn't a 27" Glide is very simple - it's impossible to please everyone.....if there was a 27" Glide GS the next request would be: "Can we have it Carbon, please....."

The 29" Glide is great board even for lighter riders - I wouldn't write it off as unsuitable for guys under 200pounds - I'm 190 pounds and 6ft tall (almost) and the width doesn't bother me at all, in fact the stability means my stroke is much better than it is on the LE26 or Javelin GX.

I know Naish is trying to keep their catalogue from going ridiculous, too many boards makes it too hard for the shops to stock correctly and reduces viability. Starboards catalogue is impressive, but imagine having to keep that stuff in stock???? I import Naish and run a shop and it's a tricky balancing act as it is.

My view is that the 29" is more versatile (appeals to a broader segment) than the older 27" Glide and it's a great board for dwd and flats. If you really want to feel more acceleration then you are at the sharp end of paddling and the LE26 is there to give you that kick...

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 03:02:59 AM »
I have both LE26 and 29'' Glide.. I find the gap between the two HUGE.

Not only is the gape between 26 and 29 huge the high price of the 26 makes it not even an option for most people.

That leaves just one DW board for your average-joe paddler.. and yet there so many wave/surfing board options for your same average-joe.

Personally I don't think that's right for a sport that's 75% flat water and 25% surf.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 05:11:35 AM »
Peter: While I agree with your points, and sympathize with your distributor challenges, I think DJ has a valid point.   

This sport has become very segmented.  I have my 2012 Glide for downwinding (shuttling) and a 12-6" Starboard for flat water touring.  I'm looking to build a quiver.  I have paddled a lot of different boards of all genre's, and have narrowed it down to a 25-26" "open water" style - just like the Naish 26LE.  I just can't rationalize paying that much for one when I could use the $ to theoretically buy a non carbon one, AND have money left to get a surf sup.

I appreciate that the LE line is aimed at a certain target demographic, but I don't give a rats ass about racing. I just want an affordable board that isnt designed for the "average" heavy/tall/balance challenged middle of the road population. 

Again, sorry for the rant, please don't take my whining about Naish personally. 

DS
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:13:11 AM by Muskoka SUP »

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »
Peter: While I agree with your points, and sympathize with your distributor challenges, I think DJ has a valid point.   

This sport has become very segmented.  I have my 2012 Glide for downwinding (shuttling) and a 12-6" Starboard for flat water touring.  I'm looking to build a quiver.  I have paddled a lot of different boards of all genre's, and have narrowed it down to a 25-26" "open water" style - just like the Naish 26LE.  I just can't rationalize paying that much for one when I could use the $ to theoretically buy a non carbon one, AND have money left to get a surf sup.

I appreciate that the LE line is aimed at a certain target demographic, but I don't give a rats ass about racing. I just want an affordable board that isnt designed for the "average" heavy/tall/balance challenged middle of the road population. 

Again, sorry for the rant, please don't take my whining about Naish personally. 

DS

No offence taken whatsoever - if I wasn't so hung up on the racing side I'd be on the 29" all day long - it's just so much easier. The 26LE is more work and a fraction more performance which is why I'll still take out on race-day but there really is no negatives to the 29" other than you can't railroad/link quite as easily as on the 26" - but does that really matter if you are not racing? Linking is fun and you can still do it on the 29" - it's just a little harder and you miss the odd one which you know you would have gotten with the 26". But a big part of why you get them on the 26" is down to the weight - there is 5-6kg difference between the Glide GS and the LE26 - thats where most of the performance is coming from.....and unfortunately that costs more.

Naish designed a board that caters for anyone that wants an easy to use downwind flatwater board - irrespective of of size - it has been boxed as board for heavyweights just because they happen to be able to use it as well.

Let's see, maybe Mr Naish is listening - I don't know whats in store for 2015 line-up.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard