Author Topic: Phase Change  (Read 18321 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Phase Change
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:04:24 PM »
I have been blessed for the past several years working ‘business development’ but with the opportunity to sustain my passion for SUP.  Now I have come to a fork in the road.   The business development ran out of runway leaving me with the opportunity to redefine my path in life.

Here I stand, with a life jacket on a business suite.

Yesterday I paddled out to Mavericks.  Here is a video of the first guy out . . . . on  a SUP.   I paddle out into conditions that should have been rather large.   I wave my paddle for the camera.   Hello!!!!   Come all yee proners!   No one out.  F---- the proners.

I hold my ground for 20 minutes, then 1  proner, then 2.   Eventually I catch a wave and have to paddle in for an interview.

Here I stand on the brink of a several job 'opportunities.'  The world apparently likes guys who can count airplanes and fish, loaves of bread, barrels of oil and ohhhhh waves.   But do I take less money for more flexibility or more money for more toys?

This question is probably best suited to you older guys.  You know . . . . over the age of 30 with fewer than 3 wives:  Business suite, wet suite, or some where between?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:40:34 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Phase Change
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »
Cheers.  Lots of float should keep me safe in all environs:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:14:45 PM by Beasho »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:40:44 PM »
You could take Letterman's job but then you'd be living in NYC.  Mavs would become a distant memory

So if you want to escape crowds, there are places in the world that aren't as expensive as where you live now.  The thing is, outside of the water, who do you want to hang around with?   You can escape to various wilds but it can be lonely.  We all grumble about crowds but then we all gravitate towards them at the same time. 

When I was younger, I thought getting away from it all was the answer but now I enjoy the theater of where I live.  It's crazy but I'm a part of it.

Love the pic. 

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:38:55 AM »
Good luck on your decision.  These forks in the road can lead to vastly
different places, different lives.  If you've got an inner voice, what's it
saying?  Lots of toys and no time to use them ain't heaven.

From my own experience, my left and right turns have taken me to far
and unexpected places.  The only constant factor in the decision making
process has been to stay close to the waves. 

There is a lot of coast in this world and being able to get wet and find
the smile, I've found to work out whatever the language or paycheck is
waiting back on the beach.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 03:47:31 AM »
Nothing you probably don't know or haven't thought of but........kids?
Where do you want them to grow up? How much time do you want to spend with them and how many of their activities do you want to see and maybe help with? Summertime. How much play time do you want to spend with them?
Maybe a move isn't part of it but younger than 5th-6th grade it is easier to pack them up and change schools and all that. About that age their social ties are getting pretty strong and a move from somewhere they are already grounded into can be tough I think. I know lots of people spent childhoods moving around for many different reasons and have grown just fine but if you are familiar with the current school system, like what you see, and you like the other kids your kids are hanging with.........well there you go.  
You did take the tag off before the interview and only the one glass of wine? Perhaps the vest should go under the jacket?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:20:46 AM by lucabrasi »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 04:31:19 AM »
My career decision were all based on the quality of the water sports in that location.

About to retire and life turned out great.

I'd kill myself before I'd be one of those guys (work elsewhere for big bucks and only vacation here)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:33:09 AM by DW »

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 05:35:40 AM »
Job satifaction and work life/family ;D balance and close to good waves.....

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »
Great stories come from bad decisions. If you don't make the change nothing will ever happen.

That being said. My family is about to move closer to the water and into a city that has a much greater sense of community. We're going to less disposable income and probably the same or less house but this move is as much or more for our offspring's childhood as anything. The good waves nearby have absolutely nothing to do with it  ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 07:25:17 AM »
Over thirty, yes, less than three wives--oops. DQed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 07:54:04 AM »
Beasho man, you gotta flip that shakka around, no?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 08:11:08 AM »
OK, I'm back, I had to think about this. I try not to give advice, but I've taken yours, so I owe you one.

I did the cubicle thing. If I had my life to do over I would not have. By the same token I wouldn't retire at 30 with minimal means. That works for some people, but I know it wouldn't for me. I still work more than many people, up at 4:00 AM working on writing books or building websites, or writing embedded systems code. I do it for fun, sort of, but I do it.

You can't take this kind of advice from other people. It's your path. I don't think there's anything wrong with letting it wander a bit, but it sounds to me like you're trying to make your decision based on a criteria you know isn't right for you. Maybe you want to pick the job you'd like the best. Or the job you think would take you in the best direction. Maybe waves shouldn't be part of the decision. The waves won't wait, but they'll be there.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 08:25:19 AM »
Over thirty, yes, less than three wives--oops. DQed.

LOL...when I read the less than 3 wives I thought that DQ's you from answering. I do have to say though that you finally got it right....3rd times a charm.

I'd say it's all about finding the balance that's right for you. Money is awesome...but at this point in my life I won't trade money for time. Time I can't make more of....the sands in my hourglass are well past half gone. Depending on the age of your kid(s) you have more or less to consider there. Our kids don't really enter into our decisions except that we don't want to move too far from them. When they were younger our lives revolved around their activities and our concern for their future. My health issues changed everything for me. A focus on LIVING life rather than making my way through it doing my "duty". It was easier because my kids were almost done with college. I wanted to enjoy what was left while I still could. I'll never live further from the ocean than I do now which is about 10 mins and I think that's too far.

Good luck in your choice.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 08:30:01 AM »
My career decision were all based on the quality of the water sports in that location.

About to retire and life turned out great.

I'd kill myself before I'd be one of those guys (work elsewhere for big bucks and only vacation here)

and when you retire we all want a board made so you'll be busier than ever... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »
Is that three wives total, or three wives at any given time?

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:55 AM »
NOt exactly your case but close.

I got a job offer this week. One of my competitors took me to lunch and tried to pry me away from my current company.

So I took a look at what is important in a job for me.

1) Can I bust out of the office as needed for coaching, surfing, fishing or whatever is non-work but important to me.
2) Can I make a good living for my geographic area. That geographic area has to be close to the things I love (water).

That was really what it came down to for me. You only have so much time on this planet, and spending that time in the car or office is not where I like to spend it.

My priorities are 1- spend time with my wife and kids, 2- goof off. I need to make a living so I guess good work is 3.
Make paddleboarding great again!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal