Author Topic: Damsels in Distress  (Read 6294 times)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Damsels in Distress
« on: February 16, 2014, 04:40:31 AM »
I ran across this and find the photography amazing and figured many here would also. Maybe I have and never realized it but in all my years in trout country I am not sure if I have ever seen fish do this.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/85147880" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="">Damsels in Distress</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/sharptailmedia">Sharptail Media</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:45:06 AM by lucabrasi »

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Damsels in Distress
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:28:34 AM »
Nice.  Those dragon flies don't look like much of a meal for the size of the
trout but I guess they pull in a bunch.

I'm gonna share this with a buddy who goes up into the mountains here for
trout fishing.  Quite a beautiful fish.

Chaser

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »
What a cool vid.  Really got my juices going in terms of getting back out on a river with a fly rod.  Kids, SUP, more responsibilities at work…something has to give.

Used to live in Jackson, WY and fished a lot out there (skied more).  The river in the vid reminded me of the Flat Creek in the Elk Reserve outside of Jackson.  The best strategy in the fall was to cast a hopper fly up stream bounce it off the grassy bank to make it look like the hopper fell into the water. If you could get a fish to rise, you were in for a good ride.  Lots of lunkers in that little creek.  Thanks for spurring a trip down memory lane

Not a picture of me...just one of the Flat Creek
Whatever floats me

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »
My cousin in Wyoming caught this 34 in. 14 pounder a couple weeks ago. He wants to get a SUP this summer for fishing:

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 02:20:48 PM »
Chaser, Yep, that be Flat Creek. Almost looks to green for early August but depends on the year, I know I have been amazed some years how late it has stayed green. Cutthroats in there and it has quite the reputation for selective and spooky fish. Fly fishing only along with other aggressive regs for size, limit, and only Aug-Oct season it grows some nice fish. When were you in Jackson? 

cnski, Nice, nice fish.  A few weeks ago, open water, brown trout, and that shot, I will guess.....on the N. Platte somewhere? Maybe Seminoe or Pathfinder? I would think those would be hard deck now but I know it has been rather balmy (40s) during the day in Laramie often this winter so maybe open water.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
Luca- It was caught just outside my home town of Kemmerer. He rakes in fish like that all the time. I spent a couple years up in Jackson and we would fish Flat Creek in a fashion called "walking the dog". Long leader along the shore walking down stream. The only way I could catch those spooky fish. We have property and some cabins in Bondurant. I usually fish around there now. I love SUPing the Snake in the heat of the summer.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 03:49:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Now I am going to have to change my pants.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 05:05:25 PM »
cnski, my first thought when I saw the picture was Fontanelle, but thought "that's big rainbow country and probably frozen" so a brown and time of year I thought N. Platte. I forgot about the big browns on the Hams Fork so I will guess down Oakley/Opal way with those cliffs in the back? My dad worked at the coke plant and lived in Kemmerer pretty much through the 80's and I worked there too for a couple summers myself many, many years ago. I never could seem to catch a fish in the Hams Fork down stream from town but that was before I fly fished. I always thought it maybe got too hot in the summer and the fish moved out from those magnificent looking pools and always did better upstream from town, even way upstream and way back into nowhere land. Never tried in the fall or winter but that is brown trout time for sure.
It is rarely the case when you come out of the canyon or drop off the rim and into Bondurant that you don't have to turn your heater up but it is really one of the prettiest valleys anywhere I can think of. Upper Hoback past the Dead Shot is a nice place to get away from it all.
Most of my time is spent on other lakes tho I have done the South Park to Astoria stretch on my board.....July/August are my liking and would even go down to West Table. Upstream from South Park is too snaggy for my liking on a board and down from West Table, well.......you know about that. I more than happy in my ducky through that stretch. I will stop and watch sometimes at Kahuna if I see a board heading down. Sheep Gulch down.......a long, lazy day. Haven't done that on my board but did get blown upstream there for an hour or so in a kayak one afternoon. Mean clouds and wind came out of nowhere and thought we were going to have to stash our stuff and hike out.  Right now it looks as if the river will be raging this summer.
(now I look again and that water just looks to big for the hams fork and am curious as all get out. I will guess downstream of Fontanelle. I have always wanted to check out downstream and never have. Fontanelle store and up with rainbows is all I have ever done and that's been years.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:20:41 PM by lucabrasi »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]