Author Topic: Quads with a Nub  (Read 10831 times)

waterman60

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Quads with a Nub
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »
Rode a 9' quad today with a 2.25" nub in the center fin slot.   Seemed to work well.
Never been a fan of quads.  I know some swear by them.  The owner of this vessel says if helps the direcrtion of the board.  Having little experience with quads any suggestions on what fin size combo works best.  I'm 200 lbs, board is 9' x 32" x 4.5 very light board, brushed carbon construction, sorry no pics.
I liked the way it rode and caught waves.  Today was 2 to 4 ft faces with 10 to 15 knts offshore with decent shape.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Quads with a Nub
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 04:46:57 AM »
..... any suggestions on what fin size combo works best.

Nobody can answer that. There are a thousands ways to place quad fins. That's why there are a thousands opinions on them that don't agree.

If the board worked, then the placement is probably good and testing a few different fins will likely tune it to your taste. If the placement is way off, no fin will fix it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:49:48 AM by DW »

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 06:00:44 AM »
Gerry Lopez GL 1 and GL 2 are excellent. I use some BIG quads that I got directly from Jimmy Lewis on Hawaii. Big fins more stable, but not as loose, and the fifth little trailer changes everything. Never liked it myself, but the JL fins I am currently running in both my Rawson and my Lopez are 5 1/2 front and 5 rears. Try and see what works for you. Made a mongrel set with JL fronts and GL rears which was good in the Lopez, but not in the
Rawson. Both boards are quad only - no training wheels allowed! Did use the knubster in a Focus 9' smoothie with the stock focus fins and did not care for it. Fool around, have fun and see what you like! Who made the board you were on?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 06:10:40 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 06:41:28 AM »
How about these apples  ::)

I like to let the pictures do the talking.  The old lady was getting a bit fussy so I slapped her up with some glass and resin.  Patched up 3 more stress cracks.  While I was at it her front two foul mouthed quads were spitting fire and salt water so I had to put a muzzle on both of them.

Now I am left with Quads and a nub.  Ahhh minus two quads and a big, 10" nub.  Looks like a dragster.  

Seems to be working and it may save me from a multiple hour fin box repair.

As I have gotten better I have found that the fins matter less.  I used to ONLY want to surf quad fins.  Then I started going smaller and smaller. (I thought the Gerry Lopez fins were WAY too big).  Now because I love this board, and am too faithful (thrifty) to replace it, I have found there are many more ways to make peace with the ladies.  I thought this set-up would be stiff but it has a bizarre squirrelyness to it.  I have also learned to hold my opinion until I have truly tested it 10 times.  (aka 3 times does not an expert make).      

PS:  They especially like it when you slide your foot way back and stomp on their tails.  Happy Valentines Day  8)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 06:59:40 AM by Beasho »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »
We have set countless boards up (our own brand and others) with our 4"/5" quad set plus our 2.25" or 3 3/16" StubNub...
Very fast and responsive fin set up...works in just about any condition...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/tag/bamboo-sup-fins

We haven't experienced any downside...and, have made many converts of riders who never cared for quads...
Gives you more drive without adding substantial drag...

Beasho wrote:
"I thought the Gerry Lopez fins were WAY too big."

My findings as well...way too stiff, draggy, and slow for my preference...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:27:30 AM »
One man's meat is another man's poison! I have smaller ones that did not hold on frontside turns in small waves that are hollow. And I only weigh 160. Beasho the waves you are on are incredible, your quiver not for small wave groveling! Like I said try and see what works for you. DW thousands of questions thousands of answers. Not affiliated with any shop or manufacturer. Selling nothing ( maybe the knubster !)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »
I was talking to Dave Kalama today at Kanaha, looking at the fins on his four test boards (all Imagine of course). Three were quads with a nub, one was just quad. Those of you that have known Dave for a while are probably thinking Kalama with Kwads, that's kwazy.  Yup, but he said Kai kept talking about how quads were working so well for him that even though he hadn't liked them before he figured he had to give them a chance before he dismissed them totally. Said he things the nubs might be training wheels that he eventually won't need, or maybe not. The nubs are short/wide.

Dave does a lot of testing, and he really pays attention. He puts a lot of power in his turns. I wouldn't think quads would work that well for him, but that's where he's going. Playing around with symmetrical and various foil offsets as well. In most cases he's got symmetrical smaller fins on the front and larger foiled fins on the back.

When I picture water flowing across these combinations, especially with a rail set across the face of a wave, or pressed hard in a turn, I like the mental picture, and I especially like the nub acting like a fence, but not deep enough to limit turning. If you close your eyes and think of england, you'll see the same mental picture. Honest.

I think the new Imagine boards are going to be VERY interesting.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:01:54 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 11:05:56 PM »
I was talking to Dave Kalama today at Kanaha, looking at the fins on his four test boards (all Imagine of course). Three were quads with a nub, one was just quad. Those of you that have known Dave for a while are probably thinking Kalama with Kwads, that's kwazy.  Yup, but he said Kai kept talking about how quads were working so well for him that even though he hadn't liked them before he figured he had to give them a chance before he dismissed them totally. Said he things the nubs might be training wheels that he eventually won't need, or maybe not. The nubs are short/wide.

Dave does a lot of testing, and he really pays attention. He puts a lot of power in his turns. I wouldn't think quads would work that well for him, but that's where he's going. Playing around with symmetrical and various foil offsets as well. In most cases he's got symmetrical smaller fins on the front and larger foiled fins on the back.

When I picture water flowing across these combinations, especially with a rail set across the face of a wave, or pressed hard in a turn, I like the mental picture, and I especially like the nub acting like a fence, but not deep enough to limit turning. If you close your eyes and think of england, you'll see the same mental picture. Honest.

I think the new Imagine boards are going to be VERY interesting.

You mean like this.  IMO one of the best SUS shots ever

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 12:02:45 AM »
The guy can turn a board.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 03:37:43 AM »
Funny you mention nubs like training wheels. I don't see Slater with nubs anymore. At least not on what they (CI) tweet

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 05:00:41 AM »
Wow. There I was all alone on an island with four big fins and no training wheels. Who knew?
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 07:09:11 AM »
It's prolly a pretty safe bet that not many paddlesurfers on this forum are cranking turns like Slater or Kalama...I make fins for the 99% club...;-)
It's quite silly IMO, to refer to a nub as "training wheels"...
OK, what's a thruster then...a twin fin with training wheels?...;-)

It all boils down to personal preference...board type...riding style...wave venue...etc...

I've surfed multi-fin boards since the 70's...Bonzers...twinnies...thrusters...quads...5 fins...etc...and, have been building and selling my fins for over 2 decades...started laying up fins in high school...been fortunate to spend time chatting up fins with George Greenough, Curtis Hesselgrave...Chuck Ames...Glen DeWitt...etc...

I rode quad fin surfboards long before they were popular...same with trifin and quad fin sailboards...have gone through building and testing all kinds of asymmetrical foil tweaks...scores of flex experiments...etc...whatevers...I'm definitely a fin tweaker...however, the vast majority of the board riding community are not...

They usually leave in whatever stock fin set was bundled with their board...which ends up locking up and limiting the full performance range of the board, as fins are generally an afterthought to many shapers and board builders...and, many riders are just too lazy them, or don't have the knowledge to dial it in for themselves...

In fact, a little secret that we help lazy fin changers utilize is adding a nub to their quad setup rather than switching out to a trifin when you need more drive...;-)

I see quite a few paddlesurfers over-finning their boards...quite a few prone surfers as well...
There are many times I'm at the beach and observe that they have bigger fins than I am running on my standups...

We have a guy on our staff that is 6'4" and 250# that runs our 4"/5" sidebiter set with a 2.25" StubNub...and, turns hard off the tail...while surfers 100# less are running more fin...and, stiffer fins...

Same fin setup works great for noseriding...especially, on a board that has nose riding characteristics built in...;-)

We are finding that surfers that don't care for quads...have a favorable more response to them by adding a nub...additionally, we have found that most quad fin riders that add a nub...end up leaving it in...simply because they work...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 07:43:08 AM »
Saying 1 type of fin works and another doesn't is a matter of what board they're attatched to and how the rider wants to surf. To say Gerrys fins are good or bad is a broad statement. Different boards will require different fins to perform as intended.
 All fins within reason will work provided they're foiled properly. It's just a batter of WHICH board they'll work with.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »
I believe ponobill quoted Dave Kalama on the subject of "training wheels". My personal reference to the fact that both my Lopez and my Rawson have only four fin boxes. Go quad or go home! I believe Kelly was trying to get a twin feel with his knubster. This is supposed to be fun, humorous, aloha, loose. I saw a video with a cat ripping on a finless sup. Isn't it all about personal choice and experimenting to find what works for you, or just going strictly stock. Started surfin in 65 and have ridden many varieties of boards and fins. So what. If I start a thread on my Bobby Owens Boomerang Longboard fin is that going to create an absurd firestorm of controversy? Don't sweat the small stuff, and remember it's all small stuff!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 03:21:57 PM »
Speaking of an "absurd firestorm of controversy"...it wasn't too long after the "Thruster" came out in the early 80's that I had Bruce Fowler at Surfing Underground make me a 6'2" 5 finner that I took to Puerto Escondido...
I used to call the extra fins "tiger paws"...all glassed on back in the day...that puppy would hold into some really steep hollow drops...can't locate those pics...but, here's a couple of backhand shots of it...

My 2nd "Thruster" was a channel bottom carbon kevlar 6'2'...kind of a trip that here we are 30 years later building carbon 5 fin surfing boards...with way better fins...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal