Author Topic: Starboard High Aspect Paddle Sizing?  (Read 7712 times)

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Starboard High Aspect Paddle Sizing?
« on: February 13, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »
Hello. This is my first post, so please be kind. I've been lurking on this site for some time. It's been a great resource to me. I was hoping some of the paddle experts here could help me out on sizing and paddle dimensions. I'm in the market for a small/high cadence paddle. I want the blade to be a longer/narrower type for a deeper catch with surface area of 85-90 and a lower blade angle (10*-). I've narrowed it down to about three paddles, but the new 2014 Starboard High Aspect has been the most intriguing to me.
What I'm confuse on is the new 2014 blade sizing scale on Starboard's website - http://star-board-sup.com/2014/products/paddles/blade_technology that shows the corresponding blade from 2013.
What I don't understand is how their scale recommends the size Medium in replacement of the 500 size. The 500 size had a surface area of 90.8. The 2014 Medium size is 84.5. The 2014 Large size is 90.7, so why is the size Medium the replacement for the 500 size when dimensionally it's smaller? Shouldn't it be the 500=L, 550=XL? I know that the blade changed from a 13* down to an 8* angle for 2014. Would that have an effect on the sizing variance?
I'm trying to narrow down my list to a few models and then go demo them. Currently the other two paddles on my list are the Werner Nitro S and the C4 X-Wing. Kialoa's Hulu S and Trident's Ultra are also contenders. I do like that Kialoa, Trident and Starboard paddles are available with a foil shaft. I wish Ke Nalu would make a higher aspect paddle.
If anyone here has had a chance to demo or owns the new 2014 High Aspect, please chime in with any feedback be it good or bad. Thanks!
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard High Aspect Paddle Sizing?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 08:25:13 AM »
I have a Werner Nitro S.  I purchased this paddle to give a try to high Aspect paddles and to work on paddle cadence.  I am 5'6" 110 lbs and paddle open ocean and flat water.  The Nitro is a very nice paddle that is very lightweight.  I believe it is the lighest weight paddle of all the ones you are looking at and at a great price.

As for sizing, what is strange is how manufactures give the sizing on their paddles.  The Nitro S says it is 83 sq in and even at my size I would not want something smaller.  What I really like about the Nitro S is how easily it slips into the water.  I find at my weight a lot of my energy is put into getting the paddle to bury fast.  The lower paddle angle allows the paddle to slip in easier than say a 12 degree blade, but there is a penalty on the exit.  With the lower paddle angle you cannot pull as far back, but this never seemed to be a problem for me.  You can get the Nitro S into and out of the water quick.  But...if you are going to paddle with one of these smaller paddles you must keep you cadence up or you will slow down.  For me, I love a faster cadence.  As soon as I feel the Nitro S starting to slip I start to lift the paddle for exit.

I also love the small paddles in head winds.  Really helps you just keep moving along.

Where I find the small paddle a problem is in heavy cross chop.  With such a small blade it is hard to control the board. 

I really think everyone should have one of these high aspect paddles to at least work on cadence or to paddle on days when going long.  I will be listing my Werener Nitro S for sale soon only because I am having a custom paddle made based on the features of the Nitro S I enjoy.

Cheers, Jill

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »
Thanks Jill for the feedback on the Werner. It looks like the Werner paddle may be my only option at this point. Like the other guy that posted about "Paddle Recommendation", I'm too challenged with the ability to demo paddles before purchasing one, so I may have to order blindly and hope I like it based off feedback and reviews. REI, Sport Chalet, and West Marine are the main shops locally that sell paddles and none of them demo or even stock the paddles that I'm interested in. The closest shops that may have what I'm looking to demo/purchase are 2+ hours away.

There's only one independent shop locally that stocks paddles and they only stock Werner. They were able to let me demo a Nitro M and a Grand Prix S1000 (they didn't have the Nitro S to demo). I did prefer the Nitro's lower blade angle for the same reason you stated , but I liked the smaller blade size of the GP S1000. As a result, I do think the Nitro S would be to my liking, but I really want to demo it first. Starboard's updated High Aspect paddle is similar in shape and blade angle to the Nitro S (8* vs 7*), but I haven't been able to find any reviews on it or how it may compare to the Nitro. I've heard the weight between these two models is also about the same. These are the two models that are the most appealing to me and I'd be stoked to demo them back to back. I was just recently informed about the C4 (SUBnine) paddle that also fits my criteria, but I can't find too much about it. I'm going to keep searching for a little longer and maybe plan a trip out to see some dealers and try to demo something first, but if nothing comes up soon, I may just have to wing it. Thanks again!

RomaniaSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 04:53:31 AM »
Where are you located at?

I wasn't going to comment as I only got to use the paddle for a couple minutes, but since no one else is... I tried the starboard high aspect paddle (not sure about size, sorry) at SurfExpo and was pleasantly surprised when I got home and looked at my Suunto watch and realized I had hit my fastest flatwater speed record ever when using that paddle. It felt really good with a clean catch and quick release and my stroke rate felt like it increased. That's really all I can say with the limited amount of time I had to try it. I'm actually looking to demo it for a day now to see if that's the route I want to take. Currently I have the Grand Prix M1000 and the 12* offset is just too much. Sorry for the lack of info, wish I would have taken more notes on it now for myself. I'll have more info after I demo one for a day.
Starboard Drive 10'5
Starboard Carbon Prototype 14'x26"
Starboard AllStar 12'6x25.5"

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 12:30:01 PM »
Where are you located at?

I'll have more info after I demo one for a day.
I'm in northern California. I live inland and paddle the nearby lakes and rivers.

If you get to demo that paddle anytime soon, please share your thoughts. Thanks.

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »
I think there's a specific thread or post somewhere on here with the answer to this question, but i can't find it.
Here's another example about Starboards sizing that keeps me scratching my head...
First is Starboard's Enduro in size Large verses Werner's Nitro F. They both have nearly the same blade dimensions (actually the Enduro is measured out bigger), but there's a HUGE difference in the measured surface area -
Nitro F = 8.25x19.25 @ 110 sq in.
SB Enduro L = 8.3x20.2 @ 89.1 sq in.
How can these be nearly the same size paddles, but with a 20 sq in variance? Especially being that the larger sized paddle in this case is spec'ed with the smaller surface area!

Second is the High Aspect in size Medium verses the Nitro S. These are the paddles that I'm interested in and had originally posted about. I'm seeing a similar sizing variance as well, but it's in reverse -
Nitro S = 6.75x17.5 @ 85 sq in.
SB High Aspect M = 6.3x20.5 @ 84.5
In this case the surface areas between these two paddles are nearly identical, but the paddle dimensions are different mainly by length and slightly by width.
Can someone shed some light on what Starboard is doing different in their measurements or maybe what the rest of the industry is doing different that makes them seem odd in their measurements? Base on the dimensions above, who's really the most accurate on their indicated surface area?
I'm starting to think that if SB's sizing is off, then instead of the Medium size High Aspect paddle, I should really be trying the size Small in comparison to the Nitro S.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:09:44 PM by 2Rivers »

unclesaltdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 05:53:06 PM »
Hello. This is my first post, so please be kind. I've been lurking on this site for some time. It's been a great resource to me. I was hoping some of the paddle experts here could help me out on sizing and paddle dimensions. I'm in the market for a small/high cadence paddle. I want the blade to be a longer/narrower type for a deeper catch with surface area of 85-90 and a lower blade angle (10*-). I've narrowed it down to about three paddles, but the new 2014 Starboard High Aspect has been the most intriguing to me.
What I'm confuse on is the new 2014 blade sizing scale on Starboard's website - http://star-board-sup.com/2014/products/paddles/blade_technology that shows the corresponding blade from 2013.
What I don't understand is how their scale recommends the size Medium in replacement of the 500 size. The 500 size had a surface area of 90.8. The 2014 Medium size is 84.5. The 2014 Large size is 90.7, so why is the size Medium the replacement for the 500 size when dimensionally it's smaller? Shouldn't it be the 500=L, 550=XL? I know that the blade changed from a 13* down to an 8* angle for 2014. Would that have an effect on the sizing variance?
I'm trying to narrow down my list to a few models and then go demo them. Currently the other two paddles on my list are the Werner Nitro S and the C4 X-Wing. Kialoa's Hulu S and Trident's Ultra are also contenders. I do like that Kialoa, Trident and Starboard paddles are available with a foil shaft. I wish Ke Nalu would make a higher aspect paddle.
If anyone here has had a chance to demo or owns the new 2014 High Aspect, please chime in with any feedback be it good or bad. Thanks!

I went from a Kialoa Shaka Puu to a Ke Nalu Wiki (84sq")and xTuff (s) shaft for a while after injuring my shoulder, I found this much more forgiving and when the shoulder improved I purchased a Maliko (95sq") and used that for a while but kept reverting back to my Wiki.
Next I bought a Starboard High Aspect 550 (which is suppose to be 85.3sq" but feels much bigger) and although it is a nice paddle, feels ok, shows as good or better speeds on my gps etc, I just never really felt comfortable with for some reason (maybe partly because the handle causes my hands to blister) so again kept going back to my Wiki which I can paddle all day with and no blisters or shoulder pain.

Recently I purchased the Ke Nalu Ho'oloa small (84sq"), it is nowhere near as high aspect as the Starby and fits in somewhere in between it and the Wiki.

I have only used it a couple of times so far but have been really impressed, I can see this will be my go to paddle for race and downwind.
I would also like to use it for surf but will probably keep my Wiki or Maliko set short on another shaft for that.

Here are the 3 side by side.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:04:34 PM by Tightlines »

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 10:39:17 AM »
Recently I purchased the Ke Nalu Ho'oloa small (84sq"), it is nowhere near as high aspect as the Starby and fits in somewhere in between it and the Wiki.

I have only used it a couple of times so far but have been really impressed, I can see this will be my go to paddle for race and downwind.
Thanks for posting those pics and the review. You now got me stoked on that Ke Nalu Ho'oloa paddle, but when I looked it up, I discovered it's not available here in the US. :(
I like the higher aspect dimensions of the Ho'oloa, but with the same surface area as the Wiki. Perfect!
Ho’oloa (small) = 7.5” x 16” 84 sq in
Wiki = 8” X 15” 84 sq in
Ke Nalu - If you see this, PLEASE bring the Ho'oloa paddle to the US!

Btw... Your statement about the SB High Aspect 550 feeling "much bigger" seems to support my belief that SB's blade measurements are inaccurate.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:38:21 AM by 2Rivers »

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »
I tried the M and L size high aspect paddles today. I have a SIC paddle but look for another paddle for long distance. The M seems like the right choice for me but the the round carbon shaft is quite stiff. Good for short-medium range races but not so comfortable for long distance maybe. The paddles weigh slightly more than my SIC paddle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 03:13:35 PM »
Thanks Jill for the feedback on the Werner. It looks like the Werner paddle may be my only option at this point. Like the other guy that posted about "Paddle Recommendation", I'm too challenged with the ability to demo paddles before purchasing one, so I may have to order blindly and hope I like it based off feedback and reviews. REI, Sport Chalet, and West Marine are the main shops locally that sell paddles and none of them demo or even stock the paddles that I'm interested in. The closest shops that may have what I'm looking to demo/purchase are 2+ hours away.

There's only one independent shop locally that stocks paddles and they only stock Werner. They were able to let me demo a Nitro M and a Grand Prix S1000 (they didn't have the Nitro S to demo). I did prefer the Nitro's lower blade angle for the same reason you stated , but I liked the smaller blade size of the GP S1000. As a result, I do think the Nitro S would be to my liking, but I really want to demo it first. Starboard's updated High Aspect paddle is similar in shape and blade angle to the Nitro S (8* vs 7*), but I haven't been able to find any reviews on it or how it may compare to the Nitro. I've heard the weight between these two models is also about the same. These are the two models that are the most appealing to me and I'd be stoked to demo them back to back. I was just recently informed about the C4 (SUBnine) paddle that also fits my criteria, but I can't find too much about it. I'm going to keep searching for a little longer and maybe plan a trip out to see some dealers and try to demo something first, but if nothing comes up soon, I may just have to wing it. Thanks again!
Well my local market has gone totally price-point this season, so it looks like I'm going to have to wing it. Almost every shop around me is stocking only the cheap carbon/fiberglass, fiberglass only and/or plastic bladed paddles with mainly adj. shafts. It's looks like my only option is the Werner Nitro S since I've tried it and a local shop carries it. Unfortunately I have zero options to demo or even buy a Ke Nalu, QB, Kialoa or Starboard paddle locally. So if I were to take the risk and buy a paddle sight unseen what would be the best choice? For some reason I'm not completely convinced on the Nitro.

Ke Nalu Ho'oloa S (worried about which shaft stiffness is best for me and the smaller diameter)
Kialoa Hulu S (round or foil shaft?)
Starboard High Aspect M (worried about blade sizing, round or foil shaft?)
QB Trifecta M (blade seems too big for my preference, round or foil shaft?)

For reference I'm currently using a BruSurf adj. carbon. The blade dimension is 7.75x18 (if I measured correctly). I'm not sure of the blade angle but it seems to be around 8-10 degrees. The shaft is half foil. The diameter where I grab is round at 1.0625", which I find kind of smallish. I do like the grip on this paddle.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal