Author Topic: Topless Board Bag. Is it any good?  (Read 10033 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Topless Board Bag. Is it any good?
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:24:24 AM »
Is anyone using the Topless Board Bag? It looks like a good alternative to the heavy zippered bags.

Does it really keep the board cooler and prevent it from overheating?

I like the KoreDry material, I have a couple of their shirts, but it seems a bit thin for a board bag. I was thinking a layer of felt under it might help on the really hot days.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:31:46 AM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Topless Board Bag. Is it any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 07:13:31 AM »
I have one for my 12'6 carbon Infinity.  All black bottom.  It still gets hot but the topless board bag does help a little bit.  If anything, it makes it much easier to deal with than a regular bag.  It could be a placebo effect but if I know my board is going to be in the sun for an extended period of time, it makes me feel better having it covered.  My girlfriend has one for her SUP surfboard too... same thing, seems to provide some basic protection.

I do have to say, the worst part is using straps with these.  The cover gets all bunched up and the straps can slide more.  I usually will strap the board in then use the topless cover over the straps.  Someone could steal the cover if they wanted to but so far it's been safe.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:34:17 AM »
I like mine a lot. It is very easy to use so I use it more than I would with a zippered bag. Also, one bag fits all of my boards.

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 07:53:34 AM »
I really like the topless board bags...Over the last couple of years I've built a quiver of 5 great boards (for me and my wife) and I want to protect them. I've found the topless board bags work well for several reasons..

1) Protect my boards while out in sun (I live in FLA). This comes in handy while at the beach...or even better, while boards sit on the racks of the car where they can "cook" on a really hot day....
2) Light impact protection....don't know how often I lightly bang my boards against something when carrying them and even the light rail protection provided by the topless boardbag helps prevent small rail shatters, chips etc...
3) EASY ON..EASY OFF....This is really nice!!!  Unlike full board bags these come off and go on quickly and easily. Also, unlike a regular board bag they take up very little space when you take them off so you can just throw it in the trunk/floor space of your car while out surfing and quickly put it on when you get back to your vehicle
4) Cuts down on saltwater drip on the top of your car...I started having rust problems from wet boards dripping on the roof of my car after I had been surfing....This has almost elimitated any drippage.....and any more rust repairs
5) Has helped keep my boards nicer for resale....(almost pays for itself right there)

Caveat...the topless boardbags are good for daily use and storage but DO NOT PROVIDE MUCH IMPACT PROTECTION and in that regard are not a substitute for a normal padded bag...In fact, when I travel I put my board in the topless boardbag and then stuff that in a traditional travel bag. Worked great on my last trip....

Hope that helps...Tim

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 08:38:43 AM »
It's a must have accessory. The perfect day bag. I've got one for all my boards. Had my carbon race board sitting on the hot beach all day with the topless board bag and it kept cool. Same protection when leaving it on roof of car all day. And yes the light impact protection is key. The only thing to watch out for is the koredry material is slick to handle when carrying your board.

Also makes for a nice blanket.

SanDogSupper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
Confused. Pictures on one page suggest that there are various colors/patterns to be had. But on the products page you seem to be locked into two.

Key Features Page
Product Page

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 09:14:31 AM »
Confused. Pictures on one page suggest that there are various colors/patterns to be had. But on the products page you seem to be locked into two.

Key Features Page
Product Page

Yeah, that site is confusing. I get the impression they don't care much about what they sell when they don't even say what color the bags are.

I'll probably go with these guys. I can live with gray.

http://www.victorykd.com/category-s/69.htm

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:25:48 AM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SanDogSupper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:07:25 AM »

They're the same product aren't they? The SUP cover even has the West Coast logo on it.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »

They're the same product aren't they? The SUP cover even has the West Coast logo on it.

Yes they're both selling the same product.

It bothers me when a website like uvboardbag.com doesn't tell you a simple thing like what color the bags are and what's available. It makes me think they might screw up my order or something.

I left a message asking about the color on their "Contact us" page this morning. We'll see if they're paying attention.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:05:18 PM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »
I ma no fan of bags for a number of reasons.. The topless or bottomless bag has to be better :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 11:52:16 AM »
I ma no fan of bags for a number of reasons.. The topless or bottomless bag has to be better :)

I've got one of those heavy zippered bags for my 12'6". It sucks.

It's a real hassle laying it out on the ground and putting the board in. Then you have to walk all the way around it zipping it up while it's on the ground.

You can't leave a wet board in it or all kinds of bad things will happen so you have to take the board out again as soon as you get home.

The bag takes up a ton of space. I don't like to fold it but you have to to fit it in the car. If you're not very careful with it, the zipper will break as one of the two zippers on mine already has.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:59:12 AM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SanDogSupper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 01:04:55 PM »
It bothers me when a website like uvboardbag.com doesn't tell you a simple thing like what color the bags are and what's available. It makes me think they might screw up my order or something.

I left a message asking about the color on their "Contact us" page this morning. We'll see if they're paying attention.
I'm constantly amazed at how many businesses go online with poor/confusing websites. Let us know what they come back with.

I've got one of those heavy zippered bags for my 12'6". It sucks.
I have one of those bags too...basically got it to protect my board when it's on the roof of my car (rocks, assorted freeway debris) and as a heat shield for long days at the beach - but yeah, it's an ungainly beast.

I'm curious how well the company's claims match up to reality. They state their stuff keeps boards 20 degrees cooler than a board bag. That's pretty impressive.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 01:14:21 PM »
I'm surprised the website isn't well developed. The guy is the king of SUP spam. Seems kind of pointless if the site doesn't work well. Of course it's pointless anyway. If all you ever do is pitch and never add value then folks get real tired of hearing from you quickly. It's takes a little longer to get sick of opinionated schmucks like me.

I think it's a decent idea. Really what I'd like to see is some better quality board socks for SUP sized boards. They don't provide as much protection as zippered backs, but they're relatively painless to use. I have probably a dozen board bags. Most of them don't have boards in them. When I sell a board I almost always incude a bag--just to control the inventory. Board bags with brocken zippers seem to accumulate like wire coat hangers.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 01:36:47 PM »
I know Geno, the guy behind the bags. He,s a surfer and the board bags are not his full time occupation. Its a good product, but don,t compare his company to Nash,s.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »
I usually just stretch a spare condom over my boards, but I realize that may not work for everyone.

I can usually fit a paddle in, too. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard