Author Topic: Advice needed---10’6" Starboard Drive versus Boga Mahina?  (Read 6660 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Advice needed---10’6" Starboard Drive versus Boga Mahina?
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:12:12 PM »
(A friend of mine asked me to post this for him while he's waiting to get registered so he can post):

Hi folks, I’m looking for a bit of SUP buying advice.  I’m 5’8", 145 lbs.  I’ve paddled around a dozen times and feel fairly comfortable on a board, so want something that isn’t a “true beginner”, but rather something I can grow into and not have to replace immediately.  I will be doing mostly cruising/touring in the ocean off of La Jolla, but would also like to learn a bit of surfing in small waves.  Because of my storage situation, I am limited to no more than 10’6” length.

I’ve narrowed it down to two boards that are available from two different local shops in the area:

1) 2013 Starboard Drive AST White (no deck pad)
2) 2013 Boga Mahina (orange with bamboo)

Both are 10’6” and similar in weight and other specifications.  Both are comparable in price.  The Boga is slightly thicker and has more volume. Both get good reviews, though clearly the Starboard has been around longer and is better known.  Aesthetically, the Boga is a very pretty board!  It also seems to be a slightly better buy, coming equipped with a deck pad and both single and side fins included (the Starboard Drive White does not include side fins or a deck pad).

Does anyone have advice on how these two boards compare?  Which would glide better for cruising versus surfing?  Is one a “better” or newer design over the other?  I  was able to demo the Drive on flat water and liked it, though I’m not at the level where I can really judge performance and there was nothing to compare it to at the time.  I would love to demo the Mahina as well to know for sure, but have not found where I can do this (does anyone know of a place in the San Diego area?).

Thanks much in advance!

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed---10’6" Starboard Drive versus Boga Mahina?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:22:40 PM »
I had the Starboard Drive in AST White. Dims are 10'5 x 30"  @ 160L
I thought it was a great "all around board"  easy to paddle, stable, and fun in the surf.
Good nose rider too... Lots of good info on the zone for traction pads.
Sorry don't know about the Boga Mahina.

RomaniaSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
The 2013 Drive in AST White was my first board and I still have it. I personally don't paddle it much anymore as I now have smaller surf style boards and my race boards for flat water. However I definitely wouldn't sell it.

It's my go to board for first timers, friends and family that come in town. My wife also uses it both in the flatwater channels behind the house and in the surf. It rides like a long board and is fairly maneuverable. I think it's a great all-round board to have.  I've never been on the Boga Mahina but if your friend is only 5'8 and 145 LBS then he definitely doesn't need more volume or thickness. In fact if I could make the rails on the drive a little thinner and shave off some volume there I would. I would not want anything thicker ( Im 5'10 160 LBS). I'll also say from the Boga boards I have been on, the Starboards seemed to be better quality, but thats just an opinion. Starboard has updated the design a bit for the 2014 and I haven't ridden that one yet but i would imagine its still fairly similar. In all its a great board and I don't regret it as my first SUP purchase.
Starboard Drive 10'5
Starboard Carbon Prototype 14'x26"
Starboard AllStar 12'6x25.5"

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 04:04:47 PM »
I carry both Brands.

Both boards being similar for your purpose.

The Starboard Quality and Durability is Legendary.

The Boga's are very nice looking.

That said I think it depends on what you like best.

Ralph
Sup-position
Huntington Beach, California, USA
(714) 899-3020

sup.position.com@gmail.com

www.Sup-position.com

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 04:27:23 PM »
read the post by slatchjim and se what you think
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:29:19 AM »
Thanks everyone for the info--all helpful.  This type of board is outside my realm, but I'd looked through old posts about both--many more people have the Starboard, but both are similar, and it'd be hard to go wrong with either.  My friend's been reading these while waiting to join the elite rank of standupzone registered user.  He's demoed the Drive--liked it but hasn't been able to demo the Boga yet. 

Ralph, I think you summed up what it may come down to for him--reputation of Starboard vs. Boga's great looks. 

Anyone have any other comments, esp. anyone owning a Mahina?

komsup

• Waikiki Status
  • >40 - 5'10 - 70kg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:35:53 AM »
Nope on the mahina. I own & enyoy a stb 10.5 drive & I'm very happy with it - solid, functional, fun. very good general purpose/allround board.
Starboard Drive 10'5
SIC Bullet 17'4
Coreban Dart pro
Coreban alpha 12'6
previously Naish Mana 10', Fanatic Fly 14, Naish Hokua 9'3, Coreban Dart, Naish Glide 14 v2, Coreban lithium... & i still haven't found what i'm looking for...

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 08:34:29 PM »
I have paddled both.

I like both.

The Mahina is a great board! Not only is a good looking board, it surfs and paddles well.

You can't go wrong with either. 

If you have a more specific question hit me up.

Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »
Salt---would you say one or the other is better for glide or tracking, since he will be doing more touring than surfing starting out?  Are the rockers similar?  He'll ultimately be doing paddles of about 5 miles to and from La Jolla shores.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal