Author Topic: So Long First Real Paddle!  (Read 8124 times)

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
So Long First Real Paddle!
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:57:50 AM »
Thanks Jonathan C for lining me up with a secondhand Kiaola Methane paddle on here a few years back. Till now it has done the job spectacularly!

Unfortunately though, it has become too bloody short.  I can thank a chunky five or so foot wave on a short but sweet reef break for the modification. No doubt, my head needs to be apportioned part the blame for crash tackling it into submission. If it wasn't for the fact Boardriders pulled back on the set wave to leave me on a path to destruction, I might even be embarrassed by the whole situation. At least the poor old Kiaola went out in style!

In passing, I am finding my eight or more well too short paddle gives me a lot more intense workout.  You really have to bend the knees and push with your core.  It also gives you a more stable, lower centre of gravity, which makes it easier to push through breaking waves.

Regardless, I am looking for another good stiff surfing paddle that you can burry in powerful turns. The Ke Nalu Elite with the mid sized blade and stiffer shaft sounds good?  Then again,.I was so happy with the Methane, it might be wise to get another?  Suggestions are welcome!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:17:14 AM by Surfershane »

supthecreek

Re: So Long First Real Paddle!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 05:45:44 AM »
Good to see you here again.... bloody good...at least you missed your carotid artery :o

I think you would be super happy with a Ke Nalu...they are a wonderful paddle, you may want to demo the smaller blade (wiki) as well.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
I went from a kialoa Methane to a KeNalu Wiki and after one session I never looked back. Not that the Methane isn't a good paddle it is, just the KeNalu is that much better (For me) I due to ... whatevr find myself in the surf with the Maliko and it works (smooth power, light) when I'm teaching but when I'm out with my buddies (or in a SUS contest the Wiki is my choice "It quickens up my surfing""

My 2 cents

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
Good to see you here again.... bloody good...at least you missed your carotid artery :o

I think you would be super happy with a Ke Nalu...they are a wonderful paddle, you may want to demo the smaller blade (wiki) as well.

Thanks SUP the Creek,

I am also stoked I did not rupture my ear drum. Luckily,.I hado none of the tell-tale disorientation. I was snorkelling with my daughter the next week and was getting a bit of internal pain,.so it must have coped some trauma.

As I am looking at getting a new (secondhand) board next week,.it might also be time to buy a different paddle. Jonathan, who did me a good deal on the Kialo, now distributes the Ke Nalu.  I would be more than happy to buy from him again.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:14:36 PM by Surfershane »

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »

I went from a kialoa Methane to a KeNalu Wiki and after one session I never looked back...,,,,,,

My 2 cents

JimK

Thanks Jim,

The winner for me could be whether the Nalu has an oval shaft like the Kialoa? This wasn't clear on the website. I am so used to how this fits in my hand that I now stumble with a round shaft.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:07:02 PM by Surfershane »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »
Nope, round shaft, though it probably won't really make a difference for you other than the first two minutes. You have to learn to open your hands with a Ke Nalu since it self-stabilizes. I like the oval shaft on the Kialoas as well, but you really don't need it with the Ke Nalu design.

Try one--needs to be for about a half hour at least. Different kind of machine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »

I went from a kialoa Methane to a KeNalu Wiki and after one session I never looked back...,,,,,,

My 2 cents

JimK

Thanks Jim,

The winner for me could be whether the Nalu has an oval shaft like the Kialoa? This wasn't clear on the website. I am so used to how this fits in my hand that I now stumble with a round shaft.

We have had requests for an oval shaft & I was hoping to offer one by springtime I just haven't been happy with what I've seen yet. Still looking into it.

supLaz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 02:46:33 AM »
Hi Lane,

In which dia D1/D2 comes the shaft? is’t tapered?

grtz
Laz
Laz

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 01:20:37 PM »

My 2 cents

JimK

Thanks Jim,

We have had requests for an oval shaft & I was hoping to offer one by springtime I just haven't been happy with what I've seen yet. Still looking into it.

I find the oval shape puts a bit more surface area and is more ergonomic, sitting around my fingers and in my hand through the palm. Surfing, this gives me a better grips.  Then paddling, due the extra area, it is easier to use a lighter grip.

Granted,.I should really trial one of your paddles.

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 07:30:20 PM »
I paddle a Methane and love it. I also have a Ke Nalu Maliko Elite but I use that for flat water / touring. I had a chance to try the new Kialoa GL Surf. I really liked it! It had great catch, lighter than my Methane and sill comes with the oval shaft. Supposed to be stronger.

http://www.kialoa.com/paddles-gear/stand-up/surf-sup.html

Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 07:32:51 PM »
I paddle a Methane and love it. I also have a Ke Nalu Maliko Elite but I use that for flat water / touring. I had a chance to try the new Kialoa GL Surf. I really liked it! It had great catch, lighter than my Methane and sill comes with the oval shaft. Supposed to be stronger.

That's exactly my paddle quiver too!

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 10:11:58 PM »
Hi Lane,

grtz
Laz

Yes our shafts are tapered. That's been part of the challenge getting an oval we like. Since tooling costs are quite expensive, we don't want to have to get separate blade and handle molds just to accommodate an oval shaft. The original oval prototypes just didn't feel right with our current diameters. I'm sure we'll find something that'll work. The current shafts have an O.D. at the blade end of approx. 28.7mm (1.13 in...I say "approx." since there is slight variation. They are hand laid up on a mandrel so slight variations can be expected) and an I.D.  of 26.5 mm (1.04 in.). The handle end has an O.D. of 25.5mm (1 in.) and an I.D. of 23.5mm (.93 in.). The first 6 in. of the handle end aren't tapered to be able to cut for sizing (you can cut at least 12 in. before the diameter starts getting a bit big for the handle).

supLaz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 12:25:26 AM »

My 2 cents

JimK

Thanks Jim,

I find the oval shape puts a bit more surface area and is more ergonomic, sitting around my fingers and in my hand through the palm. Surfing, this gives me a better grips.  Then paddling, due the extra area, it is easier to use a lighter grip.

Granted,.I should really trial one of your paddles.

What dia. D1/D2 have your Kialoa shaft Shane, is it tapered too?
Laz

supLaz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 12:54:53 AM »
Hi Lane,

grtz
Laz

Yes our shafts are tapered. That's been part of the challenge getting an oval we like. Since tooling costs are quite expensive, we don't want to have to get separate blade and handle molds just to accommodate an oval shaft. The original oval prototypes just didn't feel right with our current diameters. I'm sure we'll find something that'll work. The current shafts have an O.D. at the blade end of approx. 28.7mm (1.13 in...I say "approx." since there is slight variation. They are hand laid up on a mandrel so slight variations can be expected) and an I.D.  of 26.5 mm (1.04 in.). The handle end has an O.D. of 25.5mm (1 in.) and an I.D. of 23.5mm (.93 in.). The first 6 in. of the handle end aren't tapered to be able to cut for sizing (you can cut at least 12 in. before the diameter starts getting a bit big for the handle).
I understand your dilemma Lane and you right, build a shaft  O->-oval->-tapered profile with a mandrel is a very big challenge… ;D
But what is your dia.D1/D2 ? D2 can't be never smaller than your current O.D. of 26,5 mm ( 1.04”)
I saw Starboard goes with their wing-shaft the easier way, O.D from the shaft too oval…. No tapering
Laz

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 03:33:15 AM »

Yes, this is similar to how it is starting to look for me. 

I am thinking too the tapered shafts might give a bit more responsiveness riding shorter faster boards?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal