Author Topic: New to the Zone.  (Read 16058 times)

Tamarack Janitor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New to the Zone.
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:38:21 AM »
Hey all, new to the zone. I have read posts on here for a long time, just wanted to say that this is a great place to read some pretty neat subjects. The one thing i can wrap my mind around is why there seems to be no loyalty towards local shapers. Why is everybody buying and supporting places other then there local area? Most people here i have seen ride boards made in other countries.  Ive have read so many posts about specs.  from my years of riding all different types of boards I am pretty sure local shapers can build any board you want and make it lighter and more efficient also way cheaper. Please fellow sup bros and sisters please explain this to me.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New to the Zone.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
Welcome.. I'll try and explain my thoughts about this.. If you have local shapers that can make you a board that is better and cheaper than that what the large brands like Naish, Starboard and Fanatic can offer you are very lucky because this is very much the exception from what is the norm in most places around the world.. Resale is often very hard on second hand custom boards and the price you get is also usually much less than a big brand board.. and there is often the gamble that the board might not end up exactly like you expect it to be.. There is a market for local made boards and that's great.. but they are not for me..

LeftSide

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »
If you have local shapers that can make you a board that is better and cheaper than that what the large brands like Naish, Starboard and Fanatic can offer you are very lucky because this is very much the exception from what is the norm in most places around the world.

I've yet to encounter a single local shaper charging anything close to the sky high Naish and Starboard prices.

Even "internationally renowned" shapers charge dramatically less.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 02:04:21 PM »
If you have local shapers that can make you a board that is better and cheaper than that what the large brands like Naish, Starboard and Fanatic can offer you are very lucky because this is very much the exception from what is the norm in most places around the world.

I've yet to encounter a single local shaper charging anything close to the sky high Naish and Starboard prices.

Even "internationally renowned" shapers charge dramatically less.

You have a point.. But I meant 'better and cheaper' .. Not just cheaper..  :)

Our 'internationally renowned shapers' charge substantially more than most of the big brand boards.. and I don't think price is the real issue here.

I'm not saying I'm right.. It's just my opinion.. I'd be interested to hear what others think.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:09:11 PM by DavidJohn »

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 02:26:54 PM »
Welcome to the Zone! It's always nice to hear fresh input.

My New England perspective to your question

My only loyalty is to me... I simply try to find the best shape, with the best quality, that meets MY needs.
If ANY shaper or manufacturer wants my business... they have to earn it.

Lots of great shapers in most areas of the world, that have years of experience with surfboards. There are more & more shapers turning out SUP's for sure... some of them are making exceptional boards. The problem in my area is, the shapers are surfers... either they don't SUP or they dabble... but surfing is their main thing. SUP's require a lot of special knowledge that thins out the ranks of quality SUP shapers.... then there's the issue of strength to weight ratio... SUP's are expensive...I can't afford board failures... so I stick to products, that have proven their durability... and not many make the cut.

There are some GREAT local SUP shapers... in California, Florida, Hawaii and scatttered here and there around the globe... just not in every neighborhood. There are a few in New England... their boards are good and getting better... but so far... production boards are still a much better bet for me.

From what I see on the Zone... some Zoners are making SUP's that look as good, if not better, than many local shapers.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »
One reason is a lot of people who own SUPs didn't start out surfing and have never experienced the process of a custom shaped board.  This is a foreign concept to some.  

Then, there is this new "demo" concept ("don't buy a board unless you can demo it").  The big offshore boys can afford to have lots of demos at the shops.

Another group out there believes these boards all built in the same factory are more durable and better made.  Some of the people who ascribe to this thinking come from the windsurfing camp.

Lots of other reasons too.  One DJ pointed out is having access to a shaper who knows what they are doing.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 02:50:29 PM »
I recently purchased a Pat Rawson custom from Hawaii. Handshaped by a true master and total cost including air freight to Boston was under $1700! Is it magic - yes. Is it bulletproof windsurf construction no. Do I value the mana of Pat in the board - priceless! I come from a prone background where "popouts" were only ridden by newbies and kooks. However, things are different and trying out a board from a shaper is only done by buying it. The windsurf types are stronger, but seem overpriced to me. Thank God we have many, many choices. OBTW custom boards easier to fix!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:53:01 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »
I've owned both, and liked them for different reasons, but ultimately my current go to is a custom and it fits like a glove. 

Steve Boehne at Infinity did a really good interview recently, I think it's still a youtube somewhere, discussing both his customs and his boardworks licensed models, both sold in his shop.  It's probably around here somewhere.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »
Welcome...“What fuckin’ high school did you go to, bro?” J/K couldn't resist from the Lunada localism thread.

In addition to what others have said, based on my one year of SUP experience (6 boards, 1 in the works), here's my progression of board purchases:

Board #1 - Found an awesome deal on "brand new" brand name board on CL
Board #2 - Broke board #1 and found awesome deal on "used" brand name board on CL
Board #3 - Found an awesome deal on a "brand new" brand name race board from manufacturer
Board #4 - Found a great deal on a "used once" brand name board on CL
Board #5 - Demo'd a brand name board and bought "new board" from rep
Board #6 - Found a great deal on a "used once" brand name board on the Zone
Board #7 - Custom Joe Bark race board in the works

In short, impulse buy, CraigsList, the Zone, better deals, and more importantly not knowing enough at the beginning to know what I want in a custom board (and invest a lot of money in) are reasons why I went production boards first. I'm finally ready for that custom board and I'm going local with Bark. I know he makes great boards, I've paddled a lot of his boards production/custom/prototype, and if something goes wrong he'll take care of you.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:25:48 PM by SaMoSUP »

Tamarack Janitor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 10:26:30 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I guess one of my main concerns is that most people that come out to sup surf for the first time most of the time, come out with boards from an another country. That starts the cycle of "here comes another kook"  then it starts a whole lot of bad vibes that never seem to go away,funny how most surfers couldn't tell you what happened a week ago, but they can sure remember the kook that paddled out in the lineup with a pop out. I want all people that are brave enough to come out and learn the awesome sport, it just seems like with the way things are right now they really never have a fair chance.  That is the one good thing about cl. The ability to buy quality used boards.  hope everyone this week here in so cal got some killer waves. Its really going to be a good few days out in the ocean.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 07:22:18 AM »

I recently purchased a Pat Rawson custom from Hawaii. Handshaped by a true master and total cost including air freight to Boston was under $1700! Is it magic - yes. Is it bulletproof windsurf construction no. Do I value the mana of Pat in the board - priceless! I come from a prone background where "popouts" were only ridden by newbies and kooks. However, things are different and trying out a board from a shaper is only done by buying it. The windsurf types are stronger, but seem overpriced to me. Thank God we have many, many choices. OBTW custom boards easier to fix!

I'd really like to hear more about your Rawson. Can you please share the full dimensions and volume?  Pics?  Thanks.!

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 08:38:32 AM »
The "neighborhood" element of shapers, at this time really only applies to prone surfing.  That may change in the future, but I believe the market is different.  A great example of the "neighborhood" influence is my son right now.
My son called me an hour ago, and he just broke his 6'0" channel islands shortboard at the Ventura Harbor today in some heavy surf. He bought the CI board when he lived in Santa Barbara, and he recently moved to Ventura.  He says he is now getting a Roberts board and I asked why and his response was everyone in Ventura surfs a Roberts. Robert Weiner shapes a great board, but I don't think I would ask him to shape me an SUP.
When I was younger surfing in Santa Cruz in the 70/80's, the west side boys were surfing Hauts and the east side were on Freeline Designs and Oneil customs from local shapers.
You don't really see that kind of "neighborhood" commitment to SUP boards at the mass level.  I do think things change when you are talking about the advanced sup surfer.  But I think that comes from the prone surf history.  But again keep in mind, most sups are not owned by surfers.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 09:11:31 AM »
'' 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:23:38 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 09:20:39 AM »

Thanks for all the replies. I guess one of my main concerns is that most people that come out to sup surf for the first time most of the time, come out with boards from an another country. That starts the cycle of "here comes another kook"  then it starts a whole lot of bad vibes that never seem to go away,funny how most surfers couldn't tell you what happened a week ago, but they can sure remember the kook that paddled out in the lineup with a pop out. I want all people that are brave enough to come out and learn the awesome sport, it just seems like with the way things are right now they really never have a fair chance.  That is the one good thing about cl. The ability to buy quality used boards.  hope everyone this week here in so cal got some killer waves. Its really going to be a good few days out in the ocean.

Never seen that.  I don't think most proners know the difference in SUPs....much less which country the SUP was made in.....If they don't like a Supper, its because they've got poor skills or have poor etiquette or they're afraid the Supper might injure them or they are afraid the Supper might take all their waves....shoulder hop them, etc. (lots of threads on this)......I've never seen it be because the Supper is on a "pop out" or the SUP wasn't made locally.

While many proners make that distinction of their own kind....for example, many proner's say they would never own a pop out, you don't see that much, if at all, with the Suppers.  Like others have said, it is probably because with the SUP's strength and resilience are more of an issue.  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:23:12 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »
What do you think a "pop out" is?  I'm just curious, because I think there may be some confusion on this.  I hear people use the term all the time.  I own a SUP shop and I don't even know what it means. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal