Author Topic: Lunada Palos Verdes - localism protest  (Read 9490 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Lunada Palos Verdes - localism protest
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:41:06 AM »
Maybe shoulda been on so cal but localism is a general evil.

http://ktla.com/2014/01/20/surfers-involved-in-turf-wars-at-lunada-bay-in-palos-verdes-estates/

I couldn't figure out what the guy had over his ear in the interview and then I saw it. A mouthpiece, he came prepared. Lol

Looks like the Bad Boys of PV are getting some pushback.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lunada Palos Verdes - localism protest
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »
The "bad boys" are actually a pretty good group of lads.  When an outsider is checking the spot out, the locals there will share some secrets about the best sections of the break.  If you are nice they will give you some pointers and advise.  Oh and SUP??  They LOVE SUPers there.  After a session the locals are known to treat newcomers to some drinks and a steak dinner at the Admiral Risty about half a mile south along PV Drive.  The motto of the locals is come one and all and bring your friends and bring your SUP board.

ChefBoyRD

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 10:44:55 AM »
The "bad boys" are actually a pretty good group of lads.  When an outsider is checking the spot out, the locals there will share some secrets about the best sections of the break.  If you are nice they will give you some pointers and advise.  Oh and SUP??  They LOVE SUPers there.  After a session the locals are known to treat newcomers to some drinks and a steak dinner at the Admiral Risty about half a mile south along PV Drive.  The motto of the locals is come one and all and bring your friends and bring your SUP board.

Hah hah, That's funny, I remember my dinner tasted more like rocks , Just like the first time I arrived on Maui in 1985 pulled up to Maalaea with a firing swell and was promptly greeted by F**in Haole before I even got out of the car. I just laughed because I  understand and I have never had any problems  here on Maui for over 20 years.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:18:00 AM by ChefBoyRD »

Sup4fun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 12:08:50 PM »
Thx..I did not know about it !

Although I cannot still be in the water...I am heading down there to support the non-locals ! ;-)

C'Ya

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 04:26:33 PM »
The "locals" can't afford to live in PV or the neighborhood above LB.  Their parents have moved on and sold their homes to "outsiders."

This morning there were 6 PD  cruisers sitting at LB waiting for shit to happen .... in the end it was quite because most of the "outsiders" moved up the coast to Bluff Cove.  At 9 am there were 86 surfers in the water.

Sup4fun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 08:42:12 PM »
I went there....and there was not much going on. Some nice waves though ...
You could see a bit of the PD presence ...
So finally the PD SHOWED Up ... not sure to protect "whom" ! ;-)

Below it seems to be what "started" it all. It has a good DESCRIPTION of the type of "locals" there are there ... the knowledge of the PD without any "Action" .... and also, the KTLA News referred to the locals as "Bad Boy"... but they really "like to call themselves" "Bay Boys" ! Yep... 30 to 40 year old "boys" ... What a JOKE !

Here is the info:

http://us.reddit.com/r/surfing/comments/1vaprb/monday_january_20th_lunada_bay_becomes_open_to/

It's hard to believe a relatively small crew of spoiled trust fund babies have successfully kept one of LA County's best waves under wraps for decades. But that's exactly what they've done. Through violence, intimidation, and with the de facto blessing of the local police,  the Lunada Bay locals have worked a miracle. They created for themselves a world where they can travel as they please, free to enjoy any wave, anywhere they want, while denying the world access to their own.

Now, lest you become confused, this is not a case of, "just don't paddle out and start burning people." Oh no, its an example of the type of person who is created by a childhood spent in a multimillion dollar cliff top mansion, followed by a life of ease brought about by one's parents' hard work. The wave, like the lifestyle they enjoy, is not one they earned or deserve. Rather, it was gifted to them by a wealthy daddy, generating a feeling of entitlement that's lasted a lifetime.

Before the apologists chime in and cry, "But you'll ruin the spot. They're just trying to protect a beautiful resource ," think on this: Lunada is a fickle wave, and only breaks a handful of times each year. The same sociopath rich boy asshole who's tossing rocks at your head as you climb down the cliff is surfing your local break most of the time. He's paddling out in Torrance, Hermosa and Manhattan Beach. He's taking road trips to Baja, flying to Oahu in the Winter. He's joining the pack at Lowers, and snagging sets in Huntington Beach.

Monday, January 20th, all that ends. Hundreds of surfers, bodyboarders, SUP dudes , kayakers, and kneeboarders from all along the California coast will be mobbing the spot simultaneously to serve notice. Lunada Bay is now open to the public. What they thought was theirs now belongs to us all.

Keep in mind, the local police will not like this.
Make sure your cars are legal, leave the drugs and alcohol at home, be polite and calm, and, for god's sake, stay peaceful. Do not engage the irate offspring of a bunch of plutocrats, just pull out your phone or GoPro and hit record. It'll make for good youtube fodder.

Most of all, have fun. This is not meant to be a violent stand off, just an object lesson. They are outnumbered and powerless in the face of the masses. So bring the wife and kids, pack a lunch, and enjoy a fun session followed by a cliff top picnic.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »
Just saw this

http://www.theinertia.com/surf/a-first-hand-account-of-the-supposed-lunada-bay-takeover/

“What fuckin’ high school did you go to, bro?” Those were the first words I heard as I walked out onto the bluff at Lunada Bay for the first time this afternoon as head high, playful waves wrapped around the point and a small crowd of about 25 people observed from way up high.

The words hit me like a big cloud of cigarette smoke you can’t help but walk through. I felt sorry for the two guys exchanging words before me me as they were probably there to surf and enjoy their day off work. It couldn’t have been a more beautiful afternoon–a warm, bluebird day with waves that crumbled endlessly down the point–yet the ratio of people watching from the bluff and the rocks far outnumbered those in the water. About 20 boards leaned against the bluffs, their owners standing on the rocks with arms crossed, watching the handful of surfers in the water. More stood by without boards.

I thought it was bizarre that so few people broke the unwritten rule and just paddled out. I expected to see a relatively sizeable crowd of surfers enjoying the surf, but that was very clearly not protocol at Lunada Bay.

No less than ten of Palos Verdes’ finest were on the scene to keep the peace. As one police officer told me, they were there to make sure “… everything goes smoothly and there aren’t any fights and to dissuade people from fighting over the surf.”

With police regulating the land, and local surfers regulating the lineup, things appeared as peaceful as any other spot with a well-established pecking order. No brawls, no riots, no picketing or rock throwing (aside from one rock pelted at a drone that was kinda asking for it). The only hiccup I observed was one man who complained, after hiking up the trail, “It’s a private beach down there, huh? I’m not even allowed to take pictures. They prevented me from paddling out.”

I listened to the man’s account of what had just happened. He identified himself as a South Bay local, born and raised, yet he said he was confronted about paddling out and taking a photo. A local couldn’t take advantage of his local spot going off.

The police officer who stood next to me listening to this man’s account had a ho-hum look on his face. He later told me, ”Lunada Bay is kinda notorious for localism, ya know. It’s been like this since the ’60s where, these guys who normally surf here, they harass people who come from out of town who want to surf this spot.”

What was pegged as a demonstration against localism seems, in reality, overwrought. Lunada Bay locals appeared to go about business as usual, and from the bluff and the rocks below, you could hear hoots and hollers, some clearly not of the peaceful variety. The police supervision kept things peaceful, but appeared to do nothing to dissuade the heavy regulation of Lunada Bay’s lineup. Any kind of call to action to overturn the reportedly decades-long history of localism was nearly undetectable.

If you have any inclination to surf there while the swell continues to pump all week long, I wouldn’t expect open seating. There still appears to be a price for admission.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »
Sad...that is all I can say SAD!

JimK

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 02:56:52 PM »
“What fuckin’ high school did you go to, bro?”

Clearly these fools weren't smart enough to go to college. This protest would work better with a two pronged attack. Regular surfers coming down from the bluffs while SUPers paddling in from the outside. They wouldn't know what hit them. Zoners unite! Let's go SoCal SUPers.

I've actually paddled all around there and it's beautiful. Too bad for the dark side.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
Great quote from the ever outspoken Owl Chapman....
"Locals are only dirtbags that never had their s*it together enough to travel"
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »
^^^^^^^^
I like it!

In my bar, I wrote on the wall...

Notice to the "locals Only" crew
If you ever traveled and surfed ONE other beach, ONE time in your life.... you are both a hypocrite and an asshole.

I have spent a lifetime, traveling to different breaks, I have always been grateful for the warm hospitality I have enjoyed around the world... when someone comes to my regular spots, I like to paddle over, say hi, and welcome them.
You meet interesting people that way, and spread the stoke.

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 06:10:24 PM »
Couldn't agree more my friend

quote author=supthecreek link=topic=23075.msg232089#msg232089 date=1390354924]
^^^^^^^^
I like it!

If you ever traveled and surfed ONE other beach, ONE time in your life.... you are both a hypocrite and an asshole.

I have spent a lifetime, traveling to different breaks, I have always been grateful for the warm hospitality I have enjoyed around the world... when someone comes to my regular spots, I like to paddle over, say hi, and welcome them.
[/quote]
Geoff C.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »
^^^^^^^^
I like it!

YEP
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

tribalthunder

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 06:45:45 PM »
^^^^^^^^
I like it!

Creek, That is just about perfect!
9' Cannibal Tear Drop
8'11" Exocet 32" wide

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »
This is always entertaining.

Lunada Bay Locals Argue

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal