Author Topic: Whales Whales they're heading south.  (Read 12350 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Whales Whales they're heading south.
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:04:36 PM »
We saw a few whales about a mile out of Dana Point Harbor on Thursday morning. There have been daily sightings since. Between whistle buoy, and A mark (flag buoy) is a good area.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Whales Whales they're heading south.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:17:08 PM »
Did the same thing at the same location in a friend's boat a few years ago.  An awesome experience, isn't it?  Dived (dove?) with him for lobsters right there that same year.  
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Close SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 09:01:54 PM »
I have been getting out by the candle stick buoys a couple times a week looking for whales on the SUP (11 sightings and counting this year). It's a great experience. My closest encounter was captured on the GoPro, as well as from someone on a small boat.

GoPro
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:07:48 PM by Close SUP »

Close SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
Saw 4 more whales outside of the harbor Saturday morning. One of them breached 6 times!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 08:59:02 PM »
They're here in droves. I had two of them under my board yesterday while I paddled out towards Molokini. Then while I was sitting on the board, talking to headmount on the phone, one came up about six to eight feet from me. I could have tapped it with my paddle. I held the phone out so Boyum could hear it breathing.

Lots of other stuff out too. the lifeguards closed the beaches around sorrentos when a woman got bumped of her board by a hefty tiger. I saw roiling in the water and a fin tip as I was coming back in and the lifeguards were getting people out of the water. A number of people on SUPs saw it up close and personal. Silly to close the beach and then reopen when it's "gone", but that's what people expect.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »
From MauiWatch:SHARKWatch Update: MAUIWatch's Malika Dudley spoke with the woman who had a shark encounter yesterday fronting the Mana Kai Resort. No stranger to ocean activities, she's paddled the Molokai channel, done competitions in Tahiti, dives and has been around other types of sharks before. She describes the shark she encountered as "aggressive" and a "beast" - the water was crystal clear that morning, lots of people enjoying the ocean. She said it came so quick, she saw it out of the corner of her eye. It rammed her board and she fell in the water. She thought "This is it. I'm going to die today." The shark then bit her board and started swimming toward her friend. Her friend screamed "The shark is over here, get on your board!" She got back on her board, yelled at her friend to get on her knees and started praying out loud, that's when the shark (which she describes as being bigger than her board, with distinguishable stripes) came back to ram her board again. She said she was in a state of shock. That's when two ladies, responding to their cries for help, paddled out toward them and, in her words, "they were big together" while paddling back to shore. She says the shark followed them all the way in. "I know I'll be back in the water, I just don't know when that is going to be. I feel sick to my stomach. My girlfriend saved my life and those two ladies are my heroes."

Background info:
The shark encounter occurred yesterday afternoon (2/9/14) a little after 1pm. DLNR closed the beaches from Ulua to Charley Young for 2 hours while Ocean Safety patrolled the area. The beaches were reopened a little after 3pm.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »
 That is just so frigging HEAVY! Glad this one had a 'Happy Ending'...  Paddle on,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 05:16:31 PM »
We saw a few whales about a mile out of Dana Point Harbor on Thursday morning. There have been daily sightings since. Between whistle buoy, and A mark (flag buoy) is a good area.

What am I missing? All I know is the red buoy and the green buoy.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 09:16:19 PM »
The Flag buoy (Dana Point Yacht Club 'A' mark) is a small yellow buoy with an American flag on it. When you round the end of the jetty a the harbor entrance, the Flag buoy is about 1.25 miles 10 deg. due south of the green buoy. Almost straight out perpendicular to the coastline. Because it's small, you have to paddle out about half a mile before it comes in to sight.
The whistle buoy is red like the one just outside the harbor mouth, but it's 2-1/2 miles north, off the tip of the headlands or San Juan rock. The motion of the ocean causes a mechanism inside the buoy to produce a low frequency, fog horn like sound.

Good to see you getting into some distance SUP'n.....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard