Author Topic: intallalling boxes and gear on 16-5  (Read 5550 times)

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
intallalling boxes and gear on 16-5
« on: January 10, 2014, 09:42:29 AM »
Installing rudder, fixed single and twin boxes on the 16-5. Testing the color blend on the glass balloon  and epoxy filler on area under deck pad.

(Larry is very helpful with advice on the twins. )
s
Still trying to order the leash plug vents from Greenlight- price i pay to live in Sweden.
backup is to install manual screw vents.

Heading into intense work period so i hope to get this all done soon and ready to do the finish work asap..warm winter- no ice yet

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: intallalling boxes and gear on 16-5
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 09:47:29 AM »
pic

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »
put in the central fin box fine.
Then when i was putting in the twin Pro-boxes the left one went in perfect and i filled up the hole around the box and fixture. The other one is a mystery- i could not get it filled! i poured and poured in epoxy and it seemed to just run down and dissappear into a black hole. I must have poured 100ml down and had even already poured 50ml into the hole before inserting the box..  ??? ??? ???

other side filled up with 20 ml

I have divinycell H80 inserted to seat the boxes- so its not soaking into the eps. Have glass around the box too.

decided to leave it not filled up and let it set overnight- then try to fill it tomorrow.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:52:59 PM »
It's hard to tell what is going on just from the description, but be careful, resins in general (some more than others) give off heat when they cure.  When poured into foam, the heat can't get out.  Heat that is let off speeds up the reaction more, making it even worse, and if you are unlucky you can melt the foam. 

If the hole seemed bottomless right from the start then that might not be what is going on.  If you found the bottomless hole after some resin had been in there and curing for a while, you might have a melted mess in there - hope not!  The only option then is to carve out a chunk of foam and fill in the hole.  I imagine guys have used spray foam before maybe.

We discovered back in the 1980's that if the board does feel warm around a box install, put a bag of ice on it or put it on the bag of ice (depending where the warmth is)  It can really slow the reaction and save the day.

Peter

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »
put in the central fin box fine.
Then when i was putting in the twin Pro-boxes the left one went in perfect and i filled up the hole around the box and fixture. The other one is a mystery- i could not get it filled! i poured and poured in epoxy and it seemed to just run down and dissappear into a black hole. I must have poured 100ml down and had even already poured 50ml into the hole before inserting the box..  ??? ??? ???

other side filled up with 20 ml

I have divinycell H80 inserted to seat the boxes- so its not soaking into the eps. Have glass around the box too.

decided to leave it not filled up and let it set overnight- then try to fill it tomorrow.

I had the same thing happen. The epoxy was softening the spray glue holding the jig. Epoxy was running under the jig. Later, when it was cured, I pulled the jigs off and saw all the epoxy that had run under it. Larry told me the Probox was created when polyester was in fashion. When epoxy became popular they discovered epoxy softens 3M 77 spray glue. So they put masking tape on board and then apply 3M 77. It helps.

I have a different way I like better. No tape. I only fill cavity to just flush or slightly less with slow kick.  Then do second resin pour filling jig with FAST kick epoxy.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 11:39:16 AM »
Sorry, maybe my answer totally missed the mark.  I could not make sense of the red stuff on the board in your photo.  Was it red pigmented resin, and if so is that stuff that somehow got between the board and a jig you had on the board???  I'm a little confused here.

If nothing else, maybe someone else can learn from my earlier reply about meltdown, even if that is not what was goig on here.

Peter

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:06:40 AM »
DW,  I think that's exactly what happened.  Epoxy leaked under jigs. Plus i used another router cause,the 1/4 one doesn't fit my 8 mm router. Didn't want to miss opportunity to do work, so hole may have been a little deeper.  I pulled off the jigs and topped em up fine. A bit of mess to grind off now.

Red stuff is,pigmented epoxy and ballon mix. Just wanted to test color of it. My plan is to fill surface with ballon mix with pigmented epoxy, sand.  Repeat. Then roll/ brush on red 2 component urethane, wet sand lightly,   mask and add some simple graphic in white. 

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 07:01:32 AM »
I burned out the core...

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 07:37:57 AM »
i cleaned out hole and glued some cut blocks of foam into the hole. I still had voids but it was pretty stiff stuff.

One i had glued it up with epoxy and microballons, it started to get warm, so i put snow in plastic bags and put those on it. ( good thing we got snow now)
I think the spray foam will melt EPS.

Then i will have to glass it.

I still cant figure out why only one side did this. Perhaps that side i had a small hole in the H80 exposing the EPS. Or it was just that i had a deep hole and added so much epoxy i got and exothermic and melted the H80 too.
Will be more careful next time.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 03:25:57 PM »
Too bad, it sucks to have that happen.  I do feel a bit less dumb about my earlier reply that I thought was wrong, but it would have been nice if I was wrong. It's nice to hear that the bag of snow worked for the repair.

I expect that the reason only one melted is that either it had a larger void to fill between the box and the foam, OR, it might just be that it was the second (last) one that you did, and the resin in the mixing cup was already beginning to warm up and was together in a large mass sharing its heat and heating up, so it went in a bit hotter to start.

From what I recall, with meltdown there tends to be a fair bit of bubbling coming up from the hole the resin is going into .  Did you get that?

Did your Divinycell melt?  I thought it would have a much higher melting temperature than EPS

Peter

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 05:25:48 AM »
Hi,

No bubbling at all. And you are right, the Dvinycell is hard to melt, but i might have go thru it on one side. I suspect that is the case and the heat.

Next time i will not only use the D-cell but i am going to prime the inner surfaces with a coat of epoxy first to seal them.

Got it mostly fixed this weekend.

Start finishing laminate next weekend.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal