Author Topic: Dear Mr. Bucks  (Read 4296 times)

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Dear Mr. Bucks
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »
Anyone who has received one of these letters should appreciate this.  We were sent a rather lengthy one (from a comic book corporation of some note) a while back.  We ceased and desisted.  We had ceased before, but this was our first desist.  Kinda wish we'd have taken Britton's route instead.  His story:

Starbucks is known for aggressively going after small businesses that appear to infringe on its trademark rights.

So it was no surprise that a tiny brewpub in Missouri got a cease-and-desist letter from the coffee chain after it started selling a beer called "Frappicino."

But unlike other businesses that have quietly caved to the coffee giant's demands, Jeff Britton, owner of Exit 6 Pub and Brewery in Cottleville, responded with a sarcastic letter and a $6 check, which he claimed was his total profit from selling three pints of the beer. He posted the letters to Facebook.

Britton addressed his response to a Starbucks attorney and "Mr Bucks" and repeatedly referred to the beer throughout as the "F Word" to avoid "risk of further lawsuits."

"I would like for both [attorney Anessa] Owen Kramer and Mr Bucks to rest assured we meant no deception, confusion, or mistaking in the naming of the beer F Word," Britton wrote. "We never thought that our beer drinking customers would have thought that the alcoholic beverage coming out of the tap would have actually been coffee from one of the many, many, many stores located a few blocks away. I guess that with there being a Starbucks on every corner of every block in every city that some people may think they could get a Starbucks at a local bar. So that was our mistake."

Britton continued, "We also promise to stop production of our 'Starbuck-McDonalds-Coca Cola-Marlboro Honey Lager' for fear of further repercussions."

He insisted that Starbucks apply his $6 check "towards the legal fees Ms Owen Kramer received for her efforts in nabbing Exit 6 in our dastardly F Word naming practices."

"We realize  Mr Bucks probably paid her more than Exit 6 made last year," Britton added. "We just want to help a business like Starbucks. Us small business owners need to stick together."

Riding on the publicity of the letters, Exit 6 is now selling an "F Word" beer.

Here's the Starbucks letter:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/missouri-bar-gets-cease-desist-195615520.html

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:04:35 PM by Admin »

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
Re: Dear Mr. Bucks
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »
Windsurfer went after all the shops that used windsurfing in there name back in the day. Hopefully Starbucks will have the same demise and unique coffee shops would then spring up and would make people take a chance and walk into the wonderfull unknown.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 09:47:54 PM »
I've had a few cease and desist letters. My response is generally a lot shorter. F*&k off.

The way trademark law works, it's a good practice to find small companies that don't have a lawyer on retainer, and step on their heads. You can passively ignore such nonsense for quite a while. Often they will go away. Sometimes they won't and then you knuckle. Exit 6's approach is a fine one.

I tried to get Egg Harbor (a fine little breakfast restaurant in Hood River) to send my patented F*&k Off letter when someone sent them a C&D. Instead they changed their name to Egg River. Yuck. A river of eggs is just not a great mental image. You get 14 million hits if you Google egg harbor--most of them restaurants. Good luck in defending that name.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:27:40 PM »
"F word" beer. They fell into a gold mine I think. Who wouldn't want to try that?

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 06:08:03 AM »
This reminds me of a coffee company named Bad Ass Coffee, as in donkey.   They have some shops throughout the USA, plus a website.  Their coffee is good.

I'm not associated with them.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 08:51:39 AM »
Bad Ass is our local, and I love how they freeze coffee for their iced coffee drinks.  ;D

I was listening to the radio and heard a story on Disney trying to copyright "Dia de Los Muertos." Half of latino LA was ready to make mouse asada tacos, and Disney learned it's cultural lesson after an old fashion public relations beat down.  I find the whole copyright of normal everyday words ridiculous and just plain greedy.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:03:11 AM »
I've had a few over the years.
Mostly from taking iconic logos (Hot Wheels, the characters from South Park, etc.) and making them in to Easy Rider logos.  Then making stickers and T'shirts. 

In the cases of the C&D letters - in all cases by the time they found out about our "infringement" we were 3 or 4 "rip offs" down the road.   
So we simply replied - okay. 

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:38:28 AM »
Windsurfer went after all the shops that used windsurfing in there name back in the day.

Just in the name of accuracy Windsurfer went after anyone who tried to use the trademarked name "Windsurfer". The reason was they didn't want their name to turn into another "Kleenex". Meaning they did not want the brand name to become a generic term. It became a moot point in the end as is this post.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal