Author Topic: Flood Season begins - Boxing Day 2013 :)  (Read 19499 times)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Flood Season begins - Boxing Day 2013 :)
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:44:07 AM »
Flood Season Begins, Boxing Day 2013

After the usual excess and build up, by the time Boxing Day is here, I'm usually desperate to get out on the water! The situation wasn't helped by perfect winter weather on Christmas Day, with no wind and crisp sun. The waters are just at the point of flooding too, which makes for exciting paddling!

Lucky Boxing Day was a repeat in weather with really fast flows and perfect Sun  :mrgreen:

Stuttieboy called me in the morning asking if I wanted to do the Sandford Lane to Abingdon stretch, taking in Lockwood Island for a Kelly kettle stop! :)

Within the hour we were being shuttled northwards to Sandford Lane, by Claire, stuttieboys other half.... :)

Claire dropped us off as far as she could drive by the waters edge in the lane!

The water was really racing under the footbridge by the put in, you could hear it rushing through!

As we were about 1-2 meters higher than usual the views were totally different in the winter sun.

It didn't take long at all before we reached our halfway point, Lockwood Island :)

A lovely place for a brew!

Pretty soon after we'd warmed up with a cuppa, we were off again onto the fast conveyer belt that was the Thames!

The water is usually a good few feet lower here. This bank is usually high and dry.

We decided to portage Abingdon Lock, rather than pass the back of the weir. You can see how much higher the water is, compared with a week ago.

Before long we were passing the Old Anchor and back at our meeting place, Wilsham Road.

A fantastic day to be on the water and a great start to the 'Flood Season, Winter 2013/14'

;D
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Flood Season begins - Boxing Day 2013 :)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 03:12:26 AM »
Thanks..

The waters have risen lots more and plenty more flood paddling has taken place. Great fun! No houses flooded in my home town, Abingdon. One of the first places on the globe to manage a river the size of the Thames with remains of Pound and Flash Locks dating back to circa 1300!
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:25:52 AM »
Thanks..

The waters have risen lots more and plenty more flood paddling has taken place. Great fun! No houses flooded in my home town, Abingdon. One of the first places on the globe to manage a river the size of the Thames with remains of Pound and Flash Locks dating back to circa 1300!
That's so funny and ironic.  My brother in London is always telling me how people there laugh when they hear about what we think of here as being "old", and how the history of our buildings and towns is a blip compared to Europe. 

Yet now I find out you're bragging about your locks dating back to 1300!  We wouldn't even mention that here.  We wouldn't consider any of our locks, roads, etc. from 1300 "old".  To be old, they'd have to have been built at least before noon, or maybe even 0800.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:35:21 PM »
Chuckl.... ;D

Mind boggling really!
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger