Author Topic: Star touch grip or kick pad(deck pad)?  (Read 8310 times)

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Star touch grip or kick pad(deck pad)?
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:02:59 PM »
I've been riding my current SUS board for about a year now. It's a Starboard 8'5" Pro in brushed carbon.

I am very happy with the star touch for grip but I have trouble knowing where my back foot is sometimes. I'm thinking about sticking on a kick/tail pad, just a regular surf one, just so I know where I am back there.

Do any others out there have a preference (kick pad vs star touch) or have any experience removing a kick pad if they didn't like it...? I am wondering if once I stick the kick pad down, the star touch will be ruined if I tired to remove it...

Anyone had second thoughts and pulled up their deck pad and reverted to star touch - was the star touch preserved?

Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Star touch grip or kick pad(deck pad)?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »
I covered my star touch with an X trac pad and that was definitely an improvement.

I've got boards with and without the kicker and I don't know whether or not they are "must haves" but I do use the feel of it to figure out where my back foot is. 

Removal I can not speak to.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »
I have been using the carbon 8'5 for 2 1/2 years with the star touch.  It is starting to get
slippery and I am considering waxing it. With all its use you can see the depressions but they are not too bad. I am satisfied I did not use a pad. I only use 2 fins in the back slots and you need to be planted over the fins for bite. A kick pad would be in the way. 

Your pro is a new version and I was wondering how much you weigh.  I am considering a newer one but the decrease in volume has this 200 pounder skeptical about float as my deck is already awash behind where I stand.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 01:14:29 PM »
Definitely go with a Tail pad
I have this on mine (Bigger board)
Back foot placement and traction are more precise

Just my 2 cents

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »
I found the Dakine fish pad to be the best. Its longer than most so you can have it on the tail and covering the side fins.

RomaniaSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 05:09:06 PM »
are you guys wearing booties with your startouch?
I slip and slide all over that stuff when i'm just barefoot. maybe my feet are just slippier or something. Sounds like none of you had a problem though, hmm...
Starboard Drive 10'5
Starboard Carbon Prototype 14'x26"
Starboard AllStar 12'6x25.5"

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »
i wax mine and kick on tail

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 08:08:48 PM »
Every board I have owned for the last several decades, has had a kicker installed before first use. It give so much more leverage when you really need to stomp on the tail... especially on SUP's. Being bigger than surfboards, the stomper becomes just that much more useful.

I have put one on OVER Startouch, and it stayed there... but I have never tried to take one off.

And yeah, Romania... some feet (mine) have a lot of oils that make them very slippery when not wearing booties. I had the same problem with all the paint/spray deck treatments.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »
I often wondered about the traction of bare feet...when I walk the hallway in the morning trying not to wake anyone else in the house my feet stick to the tile floor making an almost suction sound lol

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 05:43:06 AM »
Your pro is a new version and I was wondering how much you weigh.  I am considering a newer one but the decrease in volume has this 200 pounder skeptical about float as my deck is already awash behind where I stand.

This board was 125l when I ordered it. It arrived 106l and I was a bit worried. I'm 190lbs (should be 180lbs!). They've taken that volume out with a flat deck and the "in the water part" is all the same. Think old style wooden canoe - no volume in the structure itself but stills floats well. It may play a small part if your tail is always fully submerged, but I stand well forward of the carry handle on this board - around the widest part of the board - and it is fine. On the wave I think the board is a bit big for me, so you might be a good fit...

Apart from the first few paddles (swims), I am very happy with stability. Even considering going smaller...
Julian
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 05:44:51 AM »
are you guys wearing booties with your startouch?
I slip and slide all over that stuff when i'm just barefoot. maybe my feet are just slippier or something. Sounds like none of you had a problem though, hmm...

No booties, ever. Feet grip well, except when my back foot wanders over the black line onto the rail and it slips off. Hence the thought to add a tail pad.
Julian

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 07:16:22 AM »
Thanks GreenWater.  Sounds like I should try it.  

I surf cold water year round so yes I wear booties.  My booties gives me padded feet. I have
had padded kicktail boards in the fish design where its nice not to step off but I have surfed my whole life on waxed decks so maybe the pad is not that important to me. Pads are cozy and maybe a must for flat water paddling but for surfing, its optional and nothing more.

I do like the star touch finish.  It works well for my bootied feet, has lasted years, no wax mess and is probably lighter.  I have had pads on sailboards and have had to replace them. PITA!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 04:36:32 AM »
No one out there with any experience removing a deck pad on a star touch board?
Julian

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 07:11:48 AM »
ive done it  i heat it with a hairdryer and use a razor blade and go real slow and down scrape the board.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 08:14:51 AM »
Run your hand over the soles of your feet - I suspect a lot of 'slippery boards' can be blamed on skin thickening/smoothing from spending a lot of time outside barefooted. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal